O Come, Eternal King

2 Samuel 7:1-17, Jeremiah 23:5-6, Isaiah 11:1-10, Luke 1:30-33

Why are so many rulers corrupt and prone to failure? Lord Acton’s famous proverb is often proven correct: “Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.” Where is a good king?

In many parts of the modern world, we have forgotten what kingly rule is like. For this reason, it is often difficult to catch the nuance of passages that speak of kings. In the Bible, kings reigned over every domain of life in their land; they had real authority that was to be used for the good of the people. In Israel, the kings saw themselves as mediating God’s justice and righteousness.

King David is perhaps the most revered king in the history of ancient Israel. David’s powerful rule gave Israel a glimpse of hope. And while David was a man after God’s own heart, he was far from the perfect king. As promising as David was, his failures left the people longing for a greater king. O come, eternal king!

The ancient cries of the people and their prophets rang out through history until the calming voice of an angel declared to Mary, “You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give him the throne of his father David” (Luke 1:31–32).

At last, Jesus has come. He is the only King for whom absolute power is wielded with absolute purity and sacrificial love. Jesus is the long-awaited King who rules in righteousness and justice. His life was lived in perfect righteousness, something that you and I cannot do. And his sacrificial death on the cross for our sins satisfied the justice of God, something we do not deserve. That is the good news of the kingdom.

Where is a good king? Jesus is a good King, and His rule will never end. He is the son of David and the Son of God, the king whose throne and dominion is everlasting (Luke 1:32–33). Let our longings cease. Let us praise our eternal King!

Written by Matt Capps

6 thoughts on "O Come, Eternal King"

1. Jason says:

I will admit that it’s sometimes hard for me to wrap my head around the absolute power ancient kings had. When I read Old Testament passages about ancient kings, I have to remind my self that these were flawed and fallen men, just like me. There is only one King who truly has absolute power and authority – Jesus Christ. He rules with love and compassion, grace and mercy. And praise God that he does because I need as much of those as I can get.

2. Justin Harger says:

I’m a perfectionist. It’s my best and worst quality. It helps me pay attention to certain details that others miss and anticipate needs before they even become one. On the flip side, it makes me extremely critical of myself. Accentuating flaws, sins, struggles in my life. I fail to see or easily forget the beauty of the redemptive story that God has written in my life. As far as sin goes, David had some doozies, and yet God used Him to bring perfection to a fallen world. Dwelling on my sin after Jesus’s sacrifice cheapens His grace. I pray that I can trust in God’s forgiveness and I pray for new eyes to see the beauty in my life, forgetting my imperfections through Christ’s grace.

3. Jace Martinez says:

Because of the sin and wickedness that resides in every human heart, all of our earthly rulers are bound to fail us. But Jesus is the one ruler who will truly reign righteously over his people. At best, an earthly king can look to God and ask for his wisdom. Jesus will rule this earth one day, and his reign will be unlike anything we have seen on this earth. It will be our fist look at a truly just king.

4. Kevin says:

Day 17: The only good King is God. Woah! Even King David messed up. Because why? He was human too! I can’t help but picture some of the biggest names in the Bible, Paul, Saul, Peter, John, all sinning. They must’ve been good dudes, but still under the curse of this earth. Let’s press into the only good King in Jesus. Love y’all. ⚒

5. Sean says:

Reminds me of LOTR. Many a man attempted to sit on the throne of Gondor only to be corrupted, or saw the One Ring corrupt them into becoming different men. But when the son of Gondor, the righteous heir, took the throne and led his people righteously, it was a thing to behold. How much greater our King Jesus!

6. suba suba says:

LGKraJ you ave gotten an important weblog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my weblog?