O Come, Bread of Life

Exodus 16:1-12, Matthew 26:26-29, John 6:22-40, John 6:56-58

I love baseball. When I was about 12 years old, I had the opportunity of a lifetime. My cousin worked for the local minor league baseball team, and he said he could introduce me to Kerry Wood, one of the most dynamic pitchers in Major League Baseball and a member of my favorite team, the Chicago Cubs. He just happened to be in town rehabilitating from an injury.

Though I was one of his biggest fans, I was really scared to meet Kerry Wood. He was one of the fiercest, most powerful pitchers of his day, so I expected him to be just as fierce and powerful in person. I couldn’t imagine him being a “nice guy.” But when I met Wood, he blew me away with his kindness. I was shocked that someone so fierce could be so kind.

Sometimes in life, our expectations are blown out of the water by reality. Such was the case with Jesus and the Jewish concept of the “bread of life.”

Following the feeding of the five thousand, an audience gathered around Jesus at a synagogue and asked Him what they could do to perform the works of God (John 6:28). Jesus responded, saying, “This is the work of God—that you believe in the one he has sent” (v.29), implying that He was that person. The crowd responded by asking Jesus to prove that He was, in fact, sent by God, recalling that when Moses led God’s people He provided manna from heaven for the people to eat (Exodus 16).

As he continued to teach, Jesus redirected His Jewish listeners away from thinking of bread from heaven as physical food that only nourishes physical hunger, and toward a fuller version of the concept. He told them, “I am the bread of heaven… No one who comes to me will ever be hungry, and no one who believes in me will ever be thirsty again” (John 6:35).

Jesus is the bread of life. He is God’s ultimate provision for a beloved people wandering and whining in the wilderness. The manna that fell on the Israelites points to the descending of the Son of God, who came to save us all. Christ is enough for every hunger and for every need, for every want, desire, ache, and pain.

As we continue to remember and celebrate the coming of Christ this Advent season, we need to ask ourselves: Is Christ sufficient for me, or am I longing for more?

Written by Chris Martin

6 thoughts on "O Come, Bread of Life"

1. Justin Harger says:

Is Christ sufficient? I know He is, but do my daily actions show it? Do I pursue His bread or do I reach for something else – either intentionally or otherwise? My lethargy leads to apathy. The God of the universe desires a relationship with me, and many days I’m content to just go through the motions. Lord hear my prayer – awaken me to you. I pray for revival and rest to have the energy to walk in Your will.

2. Justin says:

What an amazing truth that Christ came as THE bread of life that ultimately satisfies. I can’t help but think how many times I look for comfort and satisfaction in things other than Jesus. I seek satisfaction in things like Netflix, YouTube, Coffee, or my job and I rarely stop to reflect on the joy of Christ who is my all sufficiency.

David knee that God was his all. In psalms of rejoicing or sorry he reflected on the fact that God was his refuge and help. He knew God would never abandon him or leave him to die.

May worship be a regular part of my week to reflect on how great He is, how much I need Him and how long His arm to save.

3. Kevin says:

Day 11: Lets get this bread! Woah! So cool. Are we longing for more, or recognizing God is sufficient in our lives? It’s hard to say but I think I am typically longing for more. What the heck! God is way more than I need and should want. Very restful to know that God has given us so much and will continue to if we trust him. Lean into that today! ⚒

4. Garrett says:

Is Christ sufficient for me, or am I longing for more? That is a challenging and convicting question. So often I’m longing for more and so easily am distracted by what else can”satisfy” me. Whether it’s a thing or a feeling I’m looking for it always leaves me wanting more with a feeling of depression and emptiness. Why do I so quickly forget that I could be so happy and satisfied in Christ? I’m thankful He is patient and kind to continually pursue me and remind me of His gifts and provisions.

5. Andrew P says:

This has been my struggle and prayer this study. What am I longing for? Why do I think, when God shows me something big, then that will suffice? God does something BIG every minute of everyday. My prayer is that I will see this as I walk through the daily routine of life.

6. Sean says:

God has provided many times for His people, in many ways. But Jesus is the ultimate provision, the provision to end all provisions, to wipe out ‘spiritual poverty.’ Be sufficient for my heart today, and every day, Jesus.