O Come, Spotless Lamb

Exodus 12:1-14, Exodus 12:21-28, John 1:29, 1 Peter 1:17-21, 1 Corinthians 5:6-8

For someone who has been winter-averse most of my life, moving to Michigan has taught me a lot about planning ahead for cold weather. For one, I never knew windshield washer fluid could freeze. I discovered that reality about two weeks after moving here. Another thing I’ve learned is how essential it is to always have a spare winter hat tucked away in my car. Without one, I would be in trouble if something happened that required me to stand outside for more than thirty seconds in the sub-zero temperatures of Michigan. I absolutely need a covering.

I remembered this need for a covering as I was reading the Exodus account of the Passover. When God passed through Egypt to strike down the first-born sons in every home, He instructed the Israelites to mark their doors with the blood of a spotless lamb. It was to be a covering for them. Their obedience to this command identified them as God’s people and kept them from the Lord’s judgment against Egypt. As the blood of a lamb covered them physically, it showed a need for a spiritual covering as well.

In the New Testament, Jesus’s cousin, John the Baptist, declared “Here is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world” (John 1:29). Jesus was to be like one of those spotless lambs on Passover, someone who would stand in our place and die on our behalf. His people would be marked by His blood. But Jesus’s death didn’t just cover over our sins; it removed them. This work was planned and set in motion long before the people of Israel ever became slaves in Egypt. The blood of a little lamb would point to the blood of the sinless Lamb as the means of our rescue from sin and death.

You see, every year, the people of Israel celebrated Passover, looking back to God’s deliverance from their time of slavery in Egypt. But without realizing it, they were also looking ahead to a time when Christ, the “Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world,” would come (John 1:29). Christ has always been central to God’s redemption plan for humanity.

He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but revealed in these last times for you. Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God (1 Peter 1:20–21).

We many not live under the bondage of slavery to Egypt today, but without Christ, we live under the bondage of slavery to sin. Who will rescue us? Thanks be to God, Christ is our spotless lamb!

Written by Jeremy Writebol

9 thoughts on "O Come, Spotless Lamb"

1. Justin Harger says:

Spotless. Without blemish. These terms are relatively easy to understand, but the concept of how particular they are is something I often overlook. Not only are these animals set apart but they are perfect. Just like Jesus. It had to be that way or the sacrifice was in vain. Anything less was not good enough to close the gap between God and man. Through Christ’s blood we are gifted with His presence and His spirit. There is no greater gift.

2. Kevin says:

Day 9: I love that it brings up God knowing, before any of this happened, that you would be his child. Blows my mind a little. He knew he was going to save us and bring us home and had you in mind during all of it. Wow. And incredible example of the protector that he is. He is bringing us home. ⚒

3. Justin says:

John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”

What an amazing truth that is so easy to take for granted. I’ve walked with the Lord knowing freedom from sin for so long, that I forget sometimes how important it is what Jesus did.

Thank you Jesus for not just covering my sin but taking them away. Thank you Father for making that sacrifice and presenting your son as a sacrificial lamb. Thank you for making a way that I could be free from the bondage of sin.

4. Zach says:

The sacrificing of the original lamb was more than a simple act. The way in which he must be prepared was very specific. In order to be saved now, because of Jesus’ sacrifice, we do not have to have ornate rituals but faith in who He his. It is now so much more simple of an act but still we struggle with this. Putting our faith onto Him to release us from our sins and protect us from ourselves.

5. Garrett says:

I love how from the very beginning God had the perfect plan. He knew what we would need and when we would need it. God had Jesus picked as the perfect, spotless sacrifice since before time. I’m thankful God provided that for us because without it we would be eternally condemned to death. Thank you God for saving us and loving us so so much.

6. Jason says:

Jesus had already rescued them, but still asked them to practice the Passover in the years that would come as a reminder of what Jesus did for them. We can still remember Christ’s work today.

Praise God that we have the blood of Jesus that covers us as Death passes over.

7. Gabe Gray says:

Jesus, bring me to you when I find myself slave to sin. Jesus, cover me and protect me for the attacks of the enemy that aim to in slave me in sin. You are my cover.

8. Robbie Britt says:

God, thank you for watching over me daily. Thank you for the many blessings that you’ve given me. My heart is so full when I see my wife and child and yet I want this life to mean something. I want to be able to provide for my family. Lord, watch over us and guide us in the right direction, take my ambition and inspire it to be moved forward, all the while giving thanks to your name.

9. Sean says:

What have I done to be able to be in these ‘last days’ and to know Christ revealed as the fulfillment of all these things? Praise God who has revealed Christ to me as the King, and the King of my heart.