The Second Sunday of Advent

from the Advent 2017: Joy to the World reading plan

Joel 2:12-13

A Prayer for the Second Sunday of Advent
Merciful God, who sent your messengers the prophets to preach repentance and prepare the way for our salvation: Give us grace to heed their warnings and forsake our sins, that we may greet with joy the coming of Jesus Christ our Redeemer; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

6 thoughts on "The Second Sunday of Advent"

1. Jeff M. says:

I don’t often think of fasting, weeping, and mourning as the way that I should “return” to God so-to-speak so as I read this passage from Joel, it really stuck out to me the juxtaposition of weeping and mourning and a loving, gracious God calling to me. But as I think back on the first time God Ever opened my eyes and heart to His grace, it crushed me. And even this morning it overwhelms me with tears of joy! There is a weeping that happens, a mourning of my old self that occurs when I see God for who He is. His holiness standing in front of my low sinful self is too much to bear…it brings me down a few pegs, as they say. I’ll never forget it – December 18, 2011. That Sunday God opened my eyes to His grace, His love, to Jesus. For so long I had known of Him, but I didn’t know Him. I knew of the Cross, of the blood, but I never knew Him and His sacrifice. I knew right and wrong, but I had never felt the weightiness of my sin.

That day, God started a journey in my life that would open my eyes and change my life forever.

But before it rebuilt me – before it restored and slowly brought the joy, hope, security, etc – it crushed me. As the Christmas hymn sings “The hopes and fears of all the years/Are met in Thee tonight”, so it felt some 6 years ago. It brought weeping, mourning, and (though I was a freshman in college) maybe even some fasting – especially fasting from the things I once loved but had now been replaced on the throne of my heart.

And as it rebuilt me, as He rebuilt me, I fell – weeping and mourning – into the arms of the most loving Father we could ever hope for. You received me with grace, love, patience, mercy, and I began to fall more in love with you every day. I couldn’t have explained it in this way, until now. Distance and time has brought clarity, understanding, and gratitude like never before.

2. Keaton Vander Hart says:

Reading Joel it is easy to see how much God cares about intimacy with his people. As one scholar put it our sin is like a cancer in the body that our loving father will be a surgeon and remove the cancer so that we can be fully healed and restored. However, God desires we repent and turn our whole hearts to him so we don’t have to go through surgery. Lord today I pray for the strength to give my whole heart to you. Please let me experience your presence as the only fulfillment for my life. Thank you for sending Jesus.

3. Stephen Perry says:

Return to Me! Powerful words…how often we leave and because of Jesus, we get to return. That’s HUGE! Thank you Lord that we get to return to you and that you’re not interested first and foremost in what we do but you want the innermost parts. You want the heart. Just as it says to tend your hearts and not your garments. So Lord today, I tend my heart to you as best I know how. Thank you Lord for this truth today. I love you Lord!

4. Colt Duppen says:

The prayer and verse of scriptures just reminds me to be open and greet Jesus into my life. He is the Redeemer and will forever reign, graciously and with compassion.

The verse also shows that we will return with Jesus to the Lord our God and he will intimately repent from sending disaster our way.

5. Trevor Gartner says:

I think amazing to remember that God desires our hearts, from our hearts, everything else follows. Rending our garments, our behaviour, our output, by itself does nothing. He has saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness but according to His mercy. Let us turn to Him fully. Lord take my heart and seal it for your courts above.

6. Sok says:

“Rend your heart and not your garments”

I need a clear and full understanding of my sins, of where I choose me over God and His world.
    I need to learn the Fear of the Lord, that I may tremble before him. Feel the weight of my actions and inactions.
    We have departed from the doctrine of sin and repentance, taken instead a doctrine of love and forgiveness. Traded one partial picture of God and man for another.
    Help me to internalize and embrace the reality of my sin, such that Your grace is all the more, and that I may actually act under Your conviction and not just the habit of doing good.