The First Sunday of Advent

from the Advent 2017: Joy to the World reading plan

Isaiah 9:6-7

Joy to the world, the Lord has come! Join us this Advent season as we read the story of Jesus’ birth. From the earliest promises of His coming in the Old Testament, to the angelic messengers announcing His birth to the shepherds, this 4-week Scripture reading plan presents the biblical story of our need for Christ and the glory of His arrival. Read with us as we anticipate and celebrate the coming of Christ, discovering anew “the glories of His righteousness and wonders of His love.”

A Prayer for the First Sunday of Advent
Almighty God, give us grace to cast away the works of darkness, and put on the armor of light, now in the time of this mortal life in which your Son Jesus Christ came to visit us in great humility; that in the last day, when He shall come again in his glorious majesty to judge both the living and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through Him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Use this lock screen as a reminder of this truth throughout the week.

16 thoughts on "The First Sunday of Advent"

1. Andrew says:

Excited to celebrate the coming of Christ!

2. Stephen Perry says:

Wonderful Counselor – thank you Lord that your ways and your thoughts are better than my own. Help me today and every day to walk in your ways.

Mighty God – thank you Lord that you are POWERFUL! No one is greater than you Lord! Help me see your power today I pray.

Everlasting Father – thank you Lord that you never leave nor forsake me. You are WITH me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Help me today Lord to feel & to experience your presence!

Prince of Peace – thank you Lord that you & only you bring peace. In the midst of storms or of unknowns, your peace is with me. Help me today Lord to walk and to sit in your peace!

3. Dan says:

Unto us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

4. Matthew says:

Jesus truly is the messiah that was spoke about in the Old Testament and looked forward to for hundreds of years. We like the Old Testament believers now look forward to his second coming.

5. Pastor JB says:

What a great reminder of the overwhelming theme of the Bible that God pursues sinners! He showed the initiative. He seeks us when we were not seeking Him. He is gracious and merciful and he shows us that in the person of Jesus his Son!

6. Ruben Cardenas says:

What grabbed me in this passage is the reference to the “throne of David” (v.7), which calls to mind the promise the Lord made to David (2 Sam. 7) and the promises He made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, with respect to being a blessing to the world through their “seed.” This same seed would be the one who promised way back in the garden of Eden would crush the head of the serpent (Gen. 3).

7. Rick says:

The beginning of Advent 2017.
    Show me the light through this advent my lord.

8. Ethan Stallings says:

In my unworthiness and failure and sin and shame, The Living God stepped out of heaven for me. He came to offer me a choice of salvation and freedom through the death of His son. He saves me everyday from the choices that I make that go against Him and He forgives me when I confess and ask for it. This Christmas I will solely focus on what this time of year means for me and humanity as a whole and will place Christ at the forefront of everything that I do.

9. Marc says:

This is just want I needed to hear. My daughter was born 50 days ago with a rare genetic disorder which affects her lungs and she can’t breath. My wife and I are struggling this advent season with our other child who is healthy. We need a miracle from our Miracle working God. But he knows our pain because he came here for us to experience pain and all other feelings we are subject to. He can relate to us and he cares for us and he knows our concerns deeply. Amen Jesus

10. Brian says:

Thank you Father for sending your Son to save us. I remember and celebrate your first advent and eagerly await your return. May I be faithful in the waiting.

11. Sam Scott says:

Works of Darkness become Works of Light in our lives when we give it all to Jesus. Jesus came in great humility. Lord – help me to live from that sense of great humility.

12. Elijah says:

For unto us a savior was born, which is Christ the Lord.

For so long I’ve walked in darkness. Even when I see a glimpse of the light, I find myself sulking back to the shadows. So determined to sully my hands with the sins this world offers.

But despite my numerous failings. Christ was still born to this world. Despite what I see as my endless sins, Christ came to wash them all away.

I pray that, during this Christmas season, I can truly find myself where I should be. Not struggling in vain to tear away from the love of God and indulge in my lusts, but to truly find my place in Him, the savior, which is Christ the Lord.

13. Dustin Lawson says:

I feel like I’ve slipped so far from God. I miss our relationship and I miss our talks. Life has gotten so busy, that I’ve begun to focus more on works, than on our relationship. Father, help me find my way back to you.

14. Alberto says:

“the government rests in his shoulders”. In a time where everything in our US government seems to be going in every single direction, this brings me peace and reminds me that not only does the government rest on his shoulders, but every single decision in this country. He is the holder of all wisdom and truth.

15. David Steeves says:

Man oh Man! Our God is such a wonderful loving God, and he has granted us salvation that has been paid for by Christ Jesus and will soon return to take us home with him. I’m excited for that Homecoming!

16. Josh M. Love says:

It is interesting to me to see the names of God written out because I realize that the scriptures give us a name of God but then add to it by giving us an leading adjective. Almighty God, Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, Everlasting Father. It’s like the Bible is saying, “here’s the Father, but wait now, this is THE Father, not just a random Father…this right here is the Everlasting Father.” These names are written is a way to tell us He isn’t just a father or counselor, or a Prince or God. He is the absolute best version of those personas. There are many princes in the world, but he is the best because he is the Prince of Peace. These adjectives tell us He is the best version of all others in those categories. He is a wonderful, everlasting, almighty and peaceful God. And we are wretched, but made worthy because of his birth in a stable and his death in a cross.