Day22

The Believer’s Triumph

from the Romans reading plan

Romans 8:26-39, Psalm 44:17-22, Philippians 1:6, 2 Thessalonians 2:14

“If God loves me, He will _____.”

What words would you use to fill in that blank? Most often when we answer this question, whether privately in our hearts or more boldly, we limit the love of God. We attach His love to the circumstances or results we want. We draw a straight line between Gods love and our comfort.

Romans 8 paints an altogether different picture of a love so much bigger, richer, deeper, and more complete than anything we are even capable of imagining. It isnt a contingent love or one designed to dole out creature comforts. It cannot be cheapened by our color-by-number effort to depict it. Romans 8 is a masterpiece of Gods love, which is intended for our good.

In Jesus we live loved. We breathe love and exist each moment ensconced in it. No one can condemn us. No one can judge us. No enemy can assail us. Yes, we will be condemned, judged, and assailed in this world, but no one can remove us from Christ’s love. Our own fears and insecurities, even our own death, cannot remove us from the love of God.

This profound love of God was ours before we were conscious of it, and will be ours for all eternity to the fullness of our joy and glorification. God promised to complete the good work He started in us (Philippians 1:6), and He will—through the transformative power of His love.

When Romans 8:28 says all things work together for good, this is what it means: not that every painful or confusing moment will pay out in happiness, but that Gods love will not fail. We will reap its benefits throughout infinite time.

We may never get what we filled in the blank with above—that thing we attached to Gods love, that trite and limiting expected sign of His goodness. Instead we will be more than conquerors in eternal glory, no matter what we face in this temporal life.

Written by Barnabas Piper

Plan to read John with us starting January 3.

6 thoughts on "The Believer’s Triumph"

1. David says:

– The Spirit is on our side! When we don’t know what to pray or can’t pray, He intercedes on our behalf!
    – Christ is on our side! He died so that we could be justified and reconciled to God!
    – God is on our side! If He is for us, who can be against us?!
    – Not everything is good but God is still working it for the God of His people.
    – Nothing can separate us from the love of God.

2. Adam says:

3. DES says:

He who began a great work in me will complete it!

Today I have felt defeated. I have sinned and have been dwelling on it all day. I confessed and repented but the accuser does not let me off the hook so easily. But glory be to God that the accuser has no power. Satan WAS defeated and is continually defeated. And God is, was, and will be at work in me. I have a lot of ways I can improve and be better, but Gods love has me. And God has called me his child. He will complete this great work. He will complete ME!

4. Chris Greenwood says:

“In this single passage we see the fullness of God—Father, Son, and Spirit—offer the fullness of His love to those who believe. The Spirit intercedes on our behalf when we lack the words or ability. The Son sacrifices Himself as the means—the access—to this rich love. The Father is the ordainer, author, and giver of the eternal plan of love. And we are part of it, in it for all time.” -Barnabas Piper on Romans 8:26-39

Proving once again there is always more to learn from Scripture since I just preached on this 2 days ago. #HisWordIsStillLiving

5. Kyle says:

My fill in the blank has, for a long time, involved being a worship leader. I’ve had some contract jobs in it, and was on staff at a church for a little bit(another contract). I’ve always figured that’s what I was meant to do and have always been confused about why God didn’t seem to be coming through with it and giving me a full time job doing that. What’s weird was while I was on staff for that year, I really struggled with the job. I enjoyed the music. I was praised plenty for that but I struggled with the rest. The actual ministry part of it. It just didn’t feel right. Maybe I had it all wrong and God didn’t want that for me. Even after that I tried to get jobs and a residency at a church and it never worked out. I realized I’ve really put Gods love in a box, where if he loves me he’ll give me a job in worship ministry. Yikes. Writing it all out makes it a little too real. I don’t know where I’ll end up with worship ministry, but these words bring great comfort to remind me that no matter where I’m at, Gods love has been, is, and will always be strong. It will never fail no matter how my circumstances may seem to look to me.
    “When Romans 8:28 says “all things work together for good,” this is what it means: not that every painful or confusing moment will pay out in happiness, but that God’s love will not fail. We will reap its benefits throughout infinite time.”

6. Adam Comiskey says:

For a long time I’ve used faith as an excuse for actually having faith. Now let me explain that first. Ive been trying to make a career out of camp ministry so I can get married to the love of my life and I know without a doubt that God is calling me to that right now. I’ve told myself for a while now that I just have to have faith God is gonna make it work out that I’m gonna be working at this specific camp before I get married. I only recently realized though my faith in being hired at this camp was nothing more than lack of faith that something else will work out if this doesn’t. “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28. I still have full faith that this is where God wants me but now God has shown me that he has me in whatever spot I’ll be at in life. As long as I’m faithful to him. Not to my own plans!