A Hope That Will Not Disappoint

from the Romans reading plan

Romans 5:1-11, Galatians 4:6-7, Ephesians 2:18-22

Before marrying my wife, I was in a “serious” relationship with a woman I thought I’d marry. I was saving up for a ring, we were talking about our future kids, and we even began looking at neighborhoods we’d like to live in.

If I’m honest, I put my entire hope in her. I would not have said so at the time, but she was my god. I offered sacrifices at her altar daily, and I based my entire life around her wants, needs, schedule, and interests.

I didn’t realize how bad it was until she broke it off. I was devastated. I’ve probably never cried more in my life than I did during that season. My god let me down—and I felt empty.

Paul’s words here in Romans 5 were the words I needed that that time. He tells the church in Rome:

Therefore, since we have been declared righteous by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ… This hope will not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
– Romans 5:1,5

I didn’t listen to those words at first, but I learned their truth in the midst of my suffering. Placing my hope in another person was futile. She was a sinner just as much as me, and she could never bear the weight of my worship.

People aren’t built to be gods. Neither are jobs or hobbies or riches or even our best attempts at good works. None of these can fully satisfy. They’re all created things. Only the Creator deserves and can handle our worship and dependence.

If we confess Jesus as Lord, we become adopted into God’s family. “And because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba, Father!” (Galatians 4:6). Our Father loves us and wants us to place our hope in him.

Lay your hope—your entire life!—at his feet. He can handle it.

Written by Brandon D. Smith

9 thoughts on "A Hope That Will Not Disappoint"

1. Chris Greenwood says:

10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. -Romans 5:10

What wonderful news when we slow down long enough to absorb it. May I ponder this through out the day today.

2. Adam says:

“If, when we were at our worst, we were put on friendly terms with God by the sacrificial death of his Son, now that we’re at our best, just think of how our lives will expand and deepen by means of his resurrection life!” Jesus died for us even though we had nothing to give to him. We were sinners and at our worst, yet God still sacrificed his Son for us. Now that I am reconciled I can look forward to a deeper and so much greater life with Him.

3. DES says:

I have too often fallen into the trap of Blaming God for my suffering. Difficult times arise and it is hard to reconcile a God who can accomplish more than we can ask or imagine and a situation that is unbearably painful. While reading the Little House on the Prairie series to my daughter last night Ma said “there is always some gain with a great loss.” They had just lost an entire years work and she was looking for the gain, looking for the good.

We have just had a great loss. And our life is riddled with great losses. What is the gain? That isn’t a hopeless question. I need to find the answer. Our previous losses have produced tangible things I love about our family. What do I expect from this one? Lord, we love you and we trust you. Please move in our lives in such a way that we can’t help but constantly notice your power and love and strength and presence.

4. Michael Lansdowne says:

Romans 1-2
    Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

The hardest part is the letting go. We are so wired to search for things that will never satisfy us. Knowing that God will never leave us or forsake us. This is why we need(I) to seek Him daily. By faith we can have peace right here in this very moment. I pray for peace over my household, my family, and all men and women. Let my hunger and thirst be for you alone Lord. In Jesus name, Amen.

5. Kyle says:

I can definitely relate to Brandon’s story. Verse 5 stuck out to me, “This hope will not lead to disappointment.” My two best friends, just came out to say they had been having an affair(one of them was married), cut ties with everyone, and moved to another state. I was devastated and couldn’t really understand why. At one point I realized I felt further away from God than I have felt in a long time. I had become so bonded to them that really they weren’t just best friends, they were my only friends. When they left, it felt like I had nothing.
    Starting this study is one way I’m trying to really focus back on my relationship with God, and today was a great reminder of the hope and peace that we won’t find in other people, but only He can bring us.

6. Adam Comiskey says:

Romans 5:2-5 “We glory in tribulation also; knowing that tribulation worketh patience and patience, experience; and experience, hope. And hope makes us not ashamed”
    There is to be no shame is tribulation! What an amazing thing that is! God uses everything to better his kingdom and his disciples. Even tribulation. Even temptation! When you feel disgusting for the temptation you’ve fallen into God says not to be ashamed. That doesn’t mean not to be sorry or repentant but to not be ashamed for to be ashamed of yourself is to be ashamed of the wonderful God who made you! Rejoice in the trials that are brought your way because only growth will come from them if you turn to God in them!

7. Keel Compton says:

My ENTIRE life. God deserves everything I have, for me to surrender everything. But too often I hold back. I convince myself it’s ridiculous or “too far” to surrender something even if they seem to distract me from Him and my calling. I can’t put my trust in this world, yes it’s my duty to work and spread the Word but my faith and citizenship is in Heaven! Lord Jesus, you reign my heart, my heart and soul cry out for you, there is a space that nothing in this world can ever fill, only YOU! Jesus rule my heart tonight, and forevermore. Whatever dry spell, low point, doubt, or discouragement I’m going through, I still love you, and you still love me! Always and forever

8. MayoJensen says:

That is a great tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere. Simple but very accurate info… Thanks for sharing this one. A must read article!|

9. I really like and appreciate your blog post.Thanks Again. Awesome.