Weekly Truth

from the John reading plan

John 1:1-2

Memorizing Scripture is a way to carry God’s Word with you wherever you go, keeping God-breathed instruction, reproof, and truth in your heart and mind each day.

Over the four weeks of this study, we will memorize the first five verses in John’s Gospel, pivotal words on the person and calling of Christ. This week we’ll get a head start and memorize verses 1-2.

In the beginning was the Word,
and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
He was with God in the beginning.
—John 1:1-2

Write this passage down, keep it in your wallet, post it on your mirror or at your desk — anywhere you will see it often. Save the image below as a lock screen on your phone so you can read these verses throughout the day.

8 thoughts on "Weekly Truth"

1. Ryan D says:

In the beginning was the Word, but He was also with God in the beginning. An ironic circular description of the trinity relationship. The Word, Jesus, was both God and with God as well. Beautiful…

2. Forrest says:

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God

3. Ken Fuller says:

I was a little late starting this week. I have the book to go with this online study. Awesome truths in John. I always just thought of it as another telling of the Gospel although different from M M & L. I read purposefully to understand the theology of Jesus this time as our devotional had pointed out. We should all start with the belief that “God is”. But what is He like? John tells us Jesus is the personification of God similar to Matthew and Luke capturing Him to be “Emmanuel, God with us”.

From “Apply the Word Study Bible”: Jesus is God’s expression (His Word) in human form. He took on flesh and was born on earth (remember, the Son existed with the Father and Spirit from all eternity) to fully reveal God to humanity….To see Jesus is to see God and to know Him is to experience God’s grace and truth (John 1:14).”

4. Phil says:

Was definitely hoping there would be an actual devotional today not just a quick paragraph again…

I guess while I’m thinking about it, to be transparent with everyone, one thing into this new year I need to continually ask God for help with is to not allow myself to be so quick to get angry or frustrated. I am an extremely patient person for “things” or for events to transpire, etc. but I have little to no patience for people; and that is something I need God’s help in correcting. I think that is an extremely important thing for us to all do, is to be completely transparent with ourselves and with others; to have the ability to realize your short comings and to openly admit where we need improvement in our lives. My wife and I will often sit down and reflect on where we need improvement in our lives/ relationship with each other and with Christ. I’d like to make it a habit of doing it even more often this year. As a Marine, one of our eleven key leadership principles that we live by is “Know yourself and seek self improvement” and I can attest to how pivotal this is in developing yourself as a man, as a leader, as a husband, and just as an individual in general. I hope that you all have an amazing week ahead; let us ask God to lead us and guide us to continue to be leaders of men, leaders in our communities, and leaders in our families, in such a way that gives God all the glory and praise!

5. Mike says:

A perfect reminder of the connection between God and his Son.

6. Frank says:

Yeshua is the Word and he was in the beginning of creation with the Father.

7. Brandon says:

Thank you Lord for this time with you. Thank you for the power of your Word. Please walk with me today. Jesus, I want the real you not the lies the devil so often tries to feed me. Help me to see you, to know you, and to worship you in all that I do. Fill my heart with wonder and bless me with wisdom and truth.

8. Nate says:

It all started wth God. He made all possible. He made it possible for me to live a life with him and Christ. I have the chance to live a life of peace.