The Living Water

from the John reading plan

John 4:1-54, Isaiah 55:1-3

“Sir, you have nothing to draw water with.”

The Samaritan woman is telling Jesus what we all fear hearing: You are not capable. You don’t have what it takes. She was essentially saying, “You are delusional to think you can give me water without a bucket to collect it. You clearly don’t understand what gathering water takes, unless your water is something I don’t understand—something that fills a thirst I can’t even explain.”

The grace that sustains us—Jesus’ living water—is something we struggle to understand. We continually try to fit this grace into our economy of works, and it just will not fit. But we still try. I try because sometimes believing in my own snake-oil righteousness is easier. If I ignore my wrongs, this snake oil is all I need. So I work and judge and criticize and long to be better in order to make my snake oil good enough.

We understand the snake oil scam of the Old West, but do we see our desire for a modern day concoction?

“If you knew the gift of God and who it is that is saying to you…”

This is the hard edge of faith: do you believe this gift and do you believe the Giver? Do you believe that the living water of Jesus will sustain you? Do you believe that your snake-oil righteousness is a charade? Are you saying, “Sir, give me this water”?

What a story the Samaritan woman can tell. She moves from the place of saying, “You have nothing,” to imploring, “Give me what you have.” This is a glorious story of the chaos the gift of God brings. It is the story of being so dug into our own economy of righteousness that we can’t see what real grace and righteousness look like. But Jesus sees it. And He knows that she, like us, needs what He alone can give.

Faith in this gift and the Giver is a daily battle of giving up the snake oil, of letting go of an economy of performance that feels comfortable but ultimately destroys. The God of peace wants your soul to rest satisfied with the living water, the gift that is yours to receive by grace through faith in Jesus.

May we become the ones calling, “Sir, give me this water.”

Written By Jason Tippetts

11 thoughts on "The Living Water"

1. Forrest says:

She went from “you have nothing…” to “give me what you have”

2. Justin says:

I pray I never stop saying the words of the Samaritan woman, “Sir, give me this water.” Remind me of my need for you and for your grace. In the hustle of my daily life, as I work to complete tasks, keep me from relying on my own strength, wit, and ability. Give me more of you, more of your living water, that I may be satisfied.

I long to find satisfaction in a number of things that I know won’t provide it. How easily I forget. Help me in the battle to remember your grace and to have faith in the gift and the giver.

3. Phil says:

How incredible… imagine with me for a moment, you’re doing your daily water run to the well, or put it in even more of a present day setting; you’re doing your shopping run to the grocery store, and although it’s a routine trip you make weekly, you meet someone who you at first are quite skeptical about during your stop. Can you even imagine what it would feel like the moment that this personal revealed their self to you as being Jesus? Just the thought gives me chills! And to such an unlikely person He reveals Himself to! That’s what I love about Christ, He never associated Himself with the “righteous” people of the day, He always surrounded Himself with the poor and the broken and the hurting. Many times today, we often look down on these types of people, or are quick to cast judgement on them. Imagine if we all had the same heart for these people, and just other people in general, just as Christ did!

I love the words that Jesus speaks in the one verse: “35 Don’t you have a saying, ‘It’s still four months until harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.” How often is that we get so wrapped up waiting for the “right time” or for something to go the way we imagined? How often do churches preach about how amazing heaven will be and longing to get there, but they neglect to speak about what we can do here, now, until then? Jesus is saying NOW is the time! Now is the time to share with others His good news, now is the time to help others, now is the time to be a shoulder for others to cry on, now, now, now! The list goes on! If we keep waiting for the “right time” we will miss all the little opportunities He is providing for us along the way! If God is pulling you towards doing something, begin today, don’t wait!

4. Justin Rigdon says:

Truth is, I am the person usually telling my self, “you are not capable, you don’t have what it takes.” Especially in matters of spirituality.

5. Ryan D says:

6 Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon.

7 When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?”

14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
    – Beautiful. To taste of the Father’s love through Christ, we will never thirst. To thirst is death, and water quenches that thirst and gives life. Jesus, a holy water, gives eternal life to those who drink from His everlasting source.

25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.” 26 Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.”
    – Amazing, a direct confirmation from His own mouth that He is the fulfillment of Jewish Old Testament prophecy.

3 Give ear and come to me; listen, that you may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David.
    – This is our first act of submission to Him, to come and listen, to be open and willing to receive, while He does the rest. He has promised the covenant, established by His own bloodshed, that we would have everlasting life.

6. Jon C. says:

48 “Unless you people see signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.”

I read this and think “Oh, Jesus!” LOL! It sounds like Jesus is frustrated and rolling His eyes while saying that; I doubt it but that’s what I think every time I read it. Then I remember the passage when Jesus says (along the lines of): how much greater are the ones that didn’t see Me or witness My signs and wonders Yet still believe!

Yesterday an “Oh, Jon!” example came up when I felt hugely blessed by someone and then immediately questioned “but what if it doesn’t work out.” I could “hear” God be like – are you kidding me?! I just gave you this and now you’re questioning Me…do you think I’m going to play tricks with you?! NO!! I love you.

7. Brandon says:

letting go of the economy of performance for the gift of real grace

8. Dustin says:

I’m increasingly shocked at the fact that Christ Jesus offers us the living water and allows us to share in his suffering. We are the benefactors. Christ’s water is healing and life giving and we are free to drink. He gives us everything we ever need. And he invites us into his story. We join with those who have come before us to reap the harvest they have sown, sharing with others about Christ’s living water that gives life.

9. Kevin says:

It’s interesting to see God perform miracles like healing a son, to make someone believe. I guess when he was on earth, they didn’t have reason to believe unless they saw something. Nowadays we believe because of the stories told, but even the miracles we get to see now. God is pouring out that water, and we need to get our jars and soak it up.

10. Nate widow says:

I think it’s very true that we make ourselves believe in our own snake oil. I think it’s awesome to know that God can give us water and that we won’t thirst ever again.

11. Ben says:

My pain will become my platform in the name of Jesus. We are all in the palm of his hand.