The Word Was God

from the John reading plan

John 1:1-50, Genesis 1:1-5, Isaiah 55:10-11, Hebrews 1:1-4

Imagine for a moment that you have the family of your dreams, the house of your dreams, the car of your dreams, the career of your dreams—the life of your dreams. Everything is perfect. There’s no strife, no stress, and no strain. Things are exactly as they should be, and as you hoped they would be. Now, snap out of that insane daydream.

Imagine that’s all gone. Imagine that, in an instant, you stepped out of that place into the nightmare of a life that’s exactly the opposite. Every day is a struggle. Everything around you has broken, is broken, or is breaking. If you look around, that’s probably a little closer to the reality you face every day.

Jesus did just this—He stepped out of the riches of heaven and into the poverty of earth. We can probably imagine the stark difference in the picture I painted above. But what we can’t imagine is wanting to step out of heaven and into earth. The scenario above sounds like a nightmare. If anything, we’re dying to get from earth to heaven!

Praise God for Jesus, the Word become flesh. God Himself took on flesh, coming to us on an über-mission trip from heaven to earth. He did so not out of frustration or with hesitancy, but with joy, even as He faced the torture of the cross (Hebrews 12:2).

The same Word who spoke the world into existence and set the lights in the sky (Genesis 1) is the same Word that brought His own light into our darkness (John 1:1-14). It’s nearly impossible to wrap our minds around someone wanting to step into our darkness, but that’s exactly what Jesus did. In love, the eternal Son of God, by whom all things were made and through whom all things hold together, took His first breath in Bethlehem and His last in Jerusalem (John 3:16; Colossians 1:15-17).

As we reflect on the recent Christmas season, may we not forget the simple but extravagant love of God displayed in the incarnation of His Son. May we never move on from the profound truth that God became a man, living the life we should have lived and dying the death we deserve. The Word became flesh and dwelled among us, dying a gruesome death and rising again to defeat it. Because of this, one day our flesh will rise again so we can dwell with Him forever.

Written By Brandon D. Smith

24 thoughts on "The Word Was God"

1. Forrest says:

“Like taking the ultimate mission trip” leaving heaven to come to Earth

2. Ryan Goodrich says:

The fact that Jesus, who was in very nature God, would choose to leave His rightful place in glory and come as a light into our darkened world is nothing short of amazing. It is a testimony both of His willingness to submit to His Father’s will and of His intense love for the fallen race of man. In this new year, my prayer is that I will grow in my understanding of what Christ has done to purchase my salvation and that I, as He did, will go carrying His light into the dark places where He wishes to use me as His witness.

3. Justin says:

The Word became flesh and swelled among us.

Jesus chose to be Emmanuel, God with us. He did not consider equality with God something to be held onto, but rather he humbled himself and became a servant. He lived a perfect life and died not only FOR us but INSTEAD of us. Now, because of the cross, we can live forever with God, we can have peace, and we are set free from sin.

4. Justin Rigdon says:

Today’s reading posed a question in my mind that I wasn’t quite ready to answer. The question was not asked of me but of John. John was asked, “Who are you?” (John 1:21)

What go me though was he was able to answer without thought–He knew exactly who he was. I don’t know if I can be so certain. But I am on the path to this answer everyday of my life.

2017: Who am I?

5. Michael Garrison says:

It’s almost unfathomable, Gods desire to experience what we experience. To joyfully leave glory to be with us in creation. To willfully and gladly experience hunger, thirst, exhaustion, tiredness, pain, anxiety, fear, and all the emotions that come with being human. I know there was a divine purpose for him leaving glory, but it is incredibly humbling to know that he has experienced what I experience every day. That he does in fact know by experience what I go through emotionally, physically, and psychologically day to day. Because he did it too. Every time I think on it, I have a rejuvenated love for my God, my creator, my lover, my lord, and my savior.

6. Ralph Rippo says:

This is my first day of the daily devotional and man was it powerful, I look forward to the daily messages and look forward to strengthening my relationship with father.

7. Josh says:

Seems rather fitting, the past couple weeks I’ve been driving home the importance of Christmas to my 3 year old. I don’t expect him to fully understand it, but I think it’s appropriate to start laying the foundation for certain things early in his life. Like the most important thing about Christmas is the fact that Jesus was born. And that through Jesus we can have a relationship with God. Without him there can be no relationship with God. This is our reality. Jesus left a perfect existence to humble himself in the flesh. Only to pay for our sins in a shameful death on the cross. He who knew no sin would bear all sin, for those who could never pay for their sins otherwise. He did this for those who didn’t deserve it, and couldn’t repay it, and those that don’t even want it. The perfect gift and ultimate sacrifice. It certainly is humbling state of being we have.

8. Phil says:

11 He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him.

Just reading this hurts on a personal level. Imagine loving someone so much to the point of offering your life to save theirs, and that person turned their back on you and neglected to even acknowledge you. I can’t even imagine the pain that it would bring… Jesus did that VERY thing and even His own people reject Him still to this day. A gift so free and so perfect, and yet so many glance right over it and deny Him.

We will never be able to fully understand God’s love for us and that is one thing that makes me love Him even more. I can think of how much I love my wife, family members, brothers in arms, etc. and it does not even come close to that. He is the only one who will never betray you, never hurt you, never forget about you, never neglect you… He gave up perfection, humbly, to die for you and me, knowing full well that we might turn our back on Him or even deny His existence. Incredible.

9. Ryan D says:

He gave up all to have little, to save us from hell and punishment, that we may have eternal life. God worked with his only begotten son, Jesus (the Word), to create the heavens and the earth.

It’s amazing how quickly Andrew and Simon Peter dropped what they were doing and went to follow Jesus. I’m sure they were somewhat skeptical at first, but they were confident still that he was the Christ. I imagine myself as well following Jesus before he turns to ask of me, “What are you doing?”

“I am following you, my Lord, of whom I am unworthy. You are my love, my light – without you I am lost.”

10. Dalton Forman says:

The weight of such a statement isn’t setting at the moment, but I know it so well. I know that our trinitarian God has the innate knowledge of all that was and is and will be, and Jesus knowingly came to earth to deal with all He did. He suffered knowing all we have done and will do. He has allowed for us to have influence in His story. Woah…

11. Sean Looper says:

Jesus came down into this broken world we live in. Faced all the trials that us as men face every day and didn’t even sin ONCE!!! He became flesh so that he could be the ultimate sacrifice for me something I deserve something that isn’t fit for a king. I’ve told myself as a manager that the best way to have people follow you and listen to you is to lead by example. That is exactly what Jesus did! Died a horrendous death that was made for me so I would t have to. Picked up his cross daily walked the narrow path and it’s time for me to do the same.

12. Joshua says:

It was helpful to be reminded of this stark contrast of heaven and earth. It’s sometimes hard to comprehend why and how Christ came and lived among men but am thankful for his grace. This is my first day here and look forward to reading more of John and learning more.

13. Luke Blackburn says:

The sacrifice of Jesus is the core of our faith. The sacrifice was not only death on a cross but a divine being taking on the flesh of man. God had tried to consecrate the nation of Israel as a chosen nation. The constant rebellion forced God’s hand into a new covenant with humanity. God saw no other way but to sacrifice a part of himself to become the finite form of man. Jesus, being both God and man, came and lived the prototype life of devotion to the Father. His actions, words, and ministry are a perfect example of how we should live in service and devotion to the Father. Knowing the fallen nature of man, he humbled himself to the point of death on a cross. The sacrifice of the Perfect Lamb has given us an avenue back to our Perfect Father. Without this sacrifice, our sin would keep us from communion with our Holy Father. It all began with the Jesus becoming man and sacrificing His rightful place at the hand of the Father. This reveals the selfless love of our Creator. He saw a way through our sinful rebellion to atone us still. He didn’t have to. He could’ve let us suffer the just consequences of our sinful nature. But God, in His infinite wisdom and grace, saw it fit to save His creation from the abyss of Hell. God is love. He is rich in grace and mercy. He is worthy and deserving of our worship and devotion.

14. Drew Davidson says:

“The light shines in darkness and the darkness has not overcome it!”

This world is so dark and in such need of light. But this verse reassures me that God is still in control and very present.

15. Kevin says:

Man. What an awesome God we serve. One that goes from the perfection of heaven, to the deceit of earth. How cool to see the beauty of God in earth through the darkness. Heaven is going to be unreal if we can see God here and now. Thank you Lord for coming to our sinful world to save us.

16. Dalton Wilson says:

God sent Jesus down to this imperfect world to lift the bondage that we have on ourselves here on Earth. It is amazing for me to watch as the disciples lay down everything they have to follow Jesus in the middle of an ordinary day. Seeing how John was so obedient and when he was asked he always said that he was just a small light in the darkness. And I think that Jesus calls us all to be small lights in the darkness but to shine brightly so that all can see how Jesus lives in us and how Jesus has impacted our lives and stories.

My prayer: God, I just wanna pray for the Ewing family, I know they are in a tough season of their life right now but I pray that you can help keep them all strong and still turn their heads to you for anything they need. You can do amazing things God and I know you can work in their life and use this story to impact so many others. I just wanna ask you blessing to give me the courage to do something on Wednesday that no other student has done. It’s going to be difficult for me but I know you will be there to help me through it. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

17. Sean Muzljakovich says:

I am so thankful to serve a God who loves me and specifically wants a relationship with me. I really take to heart where Jesus tells Nathanael that he knew where he was moments before and Nathanael believed. Jesus’ reply is so powerful. You will see greater things than this! Our God loves us! And brought us the true light of the world!

18. Nate widow says:

I have a new born baby and an amazing girlfriend who I love so much. These past couple months have been great but at the same time very confusing. I have the perfect life but yet still struggle with the temptation to be who I once was…a guy with no strong foundation. If there is one thing I know, it’s that I want my family. I’m more then willing to jump into my darkness and let the Lord shed his light on my weakness. 🙏🏽 I trust him deep down.

19. Shelby Beckworth says:

Jesus is awesome! John is my favorite Gospel, it shows me the love Jesus really has for me. He is the exact representation of God and it comforts me to know that my God cares for me in this way.

In the hard times and struggles, I am confidant He is right there with me.

God with us! He tabernacles with us and made purification for our sins and will raise us on the last day. Amen!

20. Ben says:

As basic as it may seem, John 3:16 comes to mind here. “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life.” How amazing is it that Jesus would not see that task as a burden but a joy, to give himself up to save us? We should all have such an attitude, yet most days we see a simple task like going to work as a burden. We can never be exactly like Christ in that respect but we should try daily to see the things in our lives through Christ’s eyes. The next time we don’t want to get out of bed, remember that Jesus put aside the riches of heaven and came to earth knowing exactly what would happen to him. That should tell us we have the energy to get up and do what we need to do everyday, if for no other reason that it is pleasing in the eyes of God. Work is a gift given to us by the Creator. Real change comes when we change our attitudes.

21. Donald Hart says:

“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”

The imagery of God, the Holy One, Creator of all thing, stepping down out of heaven… His perfect dwelling place… into a world of darkness and sin so that he might bring light into the darkness is extremely powerful! He did not come out of pity, shame, or envelope wrath, but out of love. A love so powerful that he would take on the likeness of a sinful man, suffer a life of trials and die on a cross. Yet the darkness did not overcome Him. His light shines throughout all generations and the darkness (which is great) does not overpower. Praise be to our Father God!

But what does this say of our lives? That same light, the Spirit of God dwells in us. “If the Spirit of who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.” (Romans 8:11) Do we truly live in such a way? Do we live as if the light of God is in us? A light that drives away darkness. A light that will not be overcome.

In reflection I see that we…that I do not. I do not step into the darkness because of fear or a desire to not leave my comfort…or at least the things I know. But that is not what the light is for. The light is to push the darkness back not to only illuminate our lives. But that is often how we live. Then, when we do step out into the darkness it is not out of love (as Christ did) but out of some other force (feeling) such as obligation, pity, or fear. We say things like, “I will go because what will people think if I don’t?” Or “I’m a Christian so I have to share my faith or go on that trip.” And in following such motivations we often choose to go to places that are not “quite so dark and dangerous” as to give the appearance of taking the light into darkness but in reality we’re selling it short. Christ did not dip his “toe in the water” as he came to earth. He came fully and fully out of love. As we look at taking his light into the darkness we must do so also…there is no wading in when it comes to shining the light in darkness. It is all or nothing!

22. Frank says:

Jesus became flesh into the world to save it. He came from heaven into this world to be with us and receive His goodness.

23. Jonathan says:

The word became flesh and dwelt among us. Hard to imagine what that must have taken on Jesus part.

The word became flesh…
    The word became flesh…
    Let that sink in.
    Let the true meaning envelope you.
    THE word. THE Christ. THE Lord himself taking on flesh. Wow.

The Word took on flesh and DWELT AMONG US. The incarnation is the greatest miracle. Lord, let me truly understand the magnitude of the incarnation and God in flesh dwelling among us. It has deep implications for my life as a man. Let me truly walk as a man who has been come face to face with this reality.

24. Nick Crawford says:

Jesus did for us what we could never do on our own. We could never live the life that God has called us to live. Knowing that, He lovingly left His perfect Home in Heaven, came to our broken Earth, lived a life without sin that I could never live, but paid the price I deserved to pay for MY SIN that separated me from God. All so I can know Him and the great life He has for me. God, help me to know this Truth more and to live in it, and to grow in my love and gratitude for Jesus and what He has done for me.
    There is no one like you Jesus.