Christ the Prophet Today

Acts 10:43, 1 Peter 1:8-12, Matthew 8:16-17, Colossians 3:16, John 14:23-26

When I was in college, I spent a semester living in Israel. One day, while visiting the city of Jericho, I saw a man who was tending to a camel. The camel wore a saddle and the man made his living giving camel rides to tourists.

The man motioned for me to come over, and when I did, he handed me the lead attached to the camel’s harness, and then he smiled at me and walked away. There I stood, holding that rope as the camel on the other end looked at me with total indifference. I had no idea what had just happened. I didn’t know where the camel’s owner went, what he was doing, or when (or if) he would return. True story.

Turns out, he just went to get a coke. But as I stood there holding his camel, I wondered, “What I am supposed to do with this?”

Have you ever been given something, perhaps a piece of information, and wondered, “What am I supposed to do with this?”

This past week, we have read about the role of a prophet in the Old Testament, and how Jesus was the perfect Prophet. He was both the messenger and the message—the herald of salvation and the One who would accomplish it. As we wrap up this study of Jesus as the perfect Prophet, we ask, “What am I supposed to do with this?”

Just as Christ came into this world as the perfect Prophet, He remains our perfect Prophet today. And as our perfect Prophet, He calls us to be His witnesses in the world. The message of Christ is ours to share (Colossians 3:16). We don’t just hold onto it. We proclaim it. And Jesus promises that the Holy Spirit will illuminate God’s living Word in and through us (John 14:23-26).

God’s Word is living and active because Christ is living and active.

During Advent, we celebrate the incarnation of Jesus because, by coming in the flesh, He embodied the salvation we so desperately needed. Christ personified the prophets’ promise that God would cleanse us from our sin (Acts 10:43). He personified the prophets’ promise that God would be gracious to His people in their sin (1 Peter 1:8-12). He personified the prophets’ promise that the Messiah would be our healer (Matthew 8:16-17).

Jesus calls us to share in the work of proclaiming the message of mercy and grace He secured through His life, death, and resurrection. When we bear witness to Jesus, we point to the same salvation the prophets of old proclaimed.

May our celebration of Christmas be marked by our love for Christ, and may that love spill out in our words and actions as we bear witness to Jesus—the Word made flesh.

Written By Russ Ramsey

12 thoughts on "Christ the Prophet Today"

1. Ken Fuller says:

Jesus calls us to speak out on His behalf – sometimes using words – that there is forgiveness for our sin, healing for our iniquities and power to live as He lived. We must carry forth the message that the Father has a wonder plan for our world – a plan for the ages! Let us give ourselves whole heartedly to this task by the power of the Holy Spirit.

2. Scott Schulman says:

I often find myself in conversations that have nothing to do with my Savior. I need to choose to share how Jesus has richly blessed my life with those around me. He is my everything, and I need to let that be known in my daily conversations.

3. Andrew says:

I don’t know why I have such a hard time with this part. The proclamation part. Seeing every encounter for what it is, an opportunity to let Gods love shine through me. My own insecurities. Me being more concerned about myself, my feelings, my reputation, being rejected. All treasures on earth. HOLY SPIRIT, help me be Kingdom Minded.

4. Dalton Forman says:

Perfect, how awesome is it that we don’t have to be perfect,l and we are given unlimited grace in that, but even better that our example to follow was perfect. Prophet, to be able to have a true connection with God and be able to not only hear is words now, but read the Word as well. What a blessing it is to know Christ has us in His plans and has already been working towards His goal.
    Perfect Prophet, I am so glad Jesus was the messenger and the message! He created a connection between us and the Father and showed us how we can use that to not only glorify Him, but as well bring others into that connection.
    Jesus is the son of man, the son of God, and our perfect prophet to connect man and God.

5. Brandon Dillard says:

Jesus was the perfect prophet the messenger and the message. Our role is to continue his witness and be an example to the world of his love. The work needs Christians to be this light at a time when the world is so dark. I have not been the light as I could be and pray to be the light for others.

6. Charles Hall says:

The prophets breathed hope. One was coming to heal their land, but more importantly, their very lives. Those living before Christ wished for the Messiah. They yearned for his coming. Hope came in the flesh–a man like us, a God like none other. And every heart that yearned was filled and is filled today. The Prophet, the Message satisfies all who believe.

7. Anthony Stephens says:

We see that we, as disciples of Jesus, have the same opportunity and responsibility as the Old Testament prophets. They were telling about the coming Messiah and the hope that comes from Him. We also tell about the hope that is found in that Messiah. One (OT prophets) spoke looking ahead. We speak as looking back (& forward to His return).
    There is one big difference though. The OT prophets spoke of what they had could only hope for. We speak today with full assurance and knowing exactly who this Messiah is. This begs the question, “Does our sharing resemble, fall short, or surpass the sharing of those who only spoke from faith and hope?

8. Isaac Rumbold says:

I love how this study proclaims that Christ was the message and the messenger. He wasn’t just the good news. He was the giver of it to the person who placed eternity in our hearts.

9. Joe B says:

To give as Christ gave. That’s the ultimate way we are suppose to be right… giving our life for His will, a hard task for sinful people. But. Grace helps us pursue Christ’s ways and accomplish spreading who He is and what He is about. Through love and humility we can show others who we serve. Christ was born to save us, we were made to carry out His will.

10. Bret Ryan says:

11. Conor Barry says:

The climax, the culmination, the pinnacle of all we find in the word of God is Jesus Christ himself. The summary of God’s revelation in His word is found in the coming of Jesus: His message, His life, His death, His resurrection and His return.

What a way that God would make the entirety of His word flesh: a baby, already fleeing death at the time of his birth. His sole purpose in life was to die for those who were His enemies, to die for those who hated Him and His father, for those who were riddled with disobedience or even for those who didn’t even acknowledge Him. Christ died for the wayward, for the blasphemer, for the least of these, for those farthest from God. The one who all prophets pointed to would come and serve and give his life in a way that no one could fathom until He simply did it out of love.

12. Lukas Fortunato says:

Yesterday I pondered how Jesus was a prophet and a fulfillment of prophecy. How He made some bold prophecies during his ministry that we are still experiencing now. Today I wrestle with Jesus as prophet now in 2017. He is active as prophet through the Holy Spirit. He is active as prophet as we continue to see his prophecies come to life (you will do greater things, I will send the Holy Spirit). 2 big prophecies come to mind that imply activity even today. “I am going to prepare a place for you”. And “I am with you always, to the very end of the age”. These were prophetic words that reveal action that Jesus is engaged in even now. Fulfilling promises to us is another way He is Prophet and Fulfillment. “I know the plans I have for you”. “I will not abandon you”. And so many more. There are many prophecies that still are building to completion – “behold, I am coming soon”. There will come a time when prophecies will cease and all be fulfilled but we live in the tension, in the build, as Jesus continues to fulfill His promises to us, continues to prepare a place for us, and soon will fulfill his biggest prophecies that He is indeed coming soon.