A Prophet Declares God’s Word with Authority

Hebrews 4:12, Deuteronomy 10:12-15, Deuteronomy 31:22-26, Micah 6:6-8, 2 Peter 1:16-21

A prophet declares God’s living Word. The Old Testament prophets were God’s mouthpieces, bringing God’s Word to the ears of a people who would be lost without it. As the messengers of the Word, prophets pointed to the coming Messiah who would be the Word made flesh.

The book of Proverbs tells us a man is a fool if the only counsel he listens to is his own (Proverbs 12:15).

Who speaks into your life with authority? When we’re young, plenty of people do—parents, teachers, bus drivers, the volunteers managing the school crosswalks. But as we get older, fewer people have such a voice in our lives unless we grant permission. We need people who will do for us what the Old Testament prophets did for God’s people.

In the Old Testament, prophets were heralds. They declared God’s living Word, and they did so with authority. The Bible tells us that God’s Word is living and active (Hebrews 4:12). It is trustworthy (2 Peter 1:16-21) and God’s people are called to follow it (Deuteronomy 10:12-15). Historically, God used His prophets to make His Word known (Micah 6:6-8), and He has preserved it in the form of Scripture so that it can serve as a sacred, reliable guide for us (Deuteronomy 31:22-26, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

In the Old Testament, the prophets spoke with an authority higher than a king. In fact, God often used His prophets to speak truth to power. Sometimes the kings and rulers were grateful for the help; other times they were furious. But here’s the thing about God’s Word—its power and authority have nothing to do with our approval of its message. If it is true, we need to hear it, no matter how much we may not want to.

Old Testament prophets were God’s mouthpieces, bringing God’s Word to the ears of people who would be lost without it. We need people who can not only speak God’s Word into our lives, but do so with authority. We need to invite people who know and respect the Word of God to speak it to us. And we need to ask God for the humility to always welcome the counsel of Scripture, to regard ourselves as people under its authority.

When we see how God worked through His prophets in the Old Testament, we’re reminded of how delicate our egos can be when confronted with the truth. But truth is what we need. And in Christ, Truth is what we’re given.

May the Lord continually deepen our desire to be men under the authority of God’s Word. May He use us to speak its truth into the lives of those we call friends. And may we do all this with great humility and reverence for the Author of our faith.

Written By Russ Ramsey

10 thoughts on "A Prophet Declares God’s Word with Authority"

1. Ken Fuller says:

Speak into my life, Lord Jesus! Open my heart to Your Word. Bring a friend along side to encourage and correct. Be the Living Prophet of God to me and others in our world that are lost and wandering.

2. Matt Bruns says:

As a pastor, how can I balance the desire for relationship with the calling of being a truth-bringer? It wasn’t uncommon for OT prophets to be lonely. On that same note, let me be vulnerable enough to allow others to speak the truth to me as well. Let my example be of one who exalts the truth, and allows the truth to speak to me as I speak the truth to others.

3. Josh King says:

God has all of the authority and all of the power. A crossing guard has the authority to stop traffic, but not any power. The crossing guard can hold a stop sign and just hope that the drivers obey his authority. When it comes down to it, he is powerless to stop in the car. This is not true with God. He has authority and power. God can do whatever He wills. He does not rely on our obedience. Out of His love and mercy, He calls us to obey Him and enter a relationship with him.

4. Scott Schulman says:

I’m an extremely proud person—probably the proudest person I know. It’s very difficult for me to allow other, godlier men into my life to speak truth to me, but I know that’s exactly what I need. I’m asking God to give me true humility to allow other people into my life to tell me what I need to hear, and I’m asking for the grace to accept correction with understanding and thankfulness.

5. Dalton Forman says:

This makes me thankful for the men and in general people that God has placed in my life who I have been gifted with listening to such great advice and given so much love. To have continued mentors and leaders and guides to teach me. I am thankful that I am filled with the Spirit to be able to decipher truth and to seek it out. The truth is what keeps me steady when I’m lost in the world’s words, it keeps me calm in the midst of the world’s chaos. I pray that I will continue to receive truth from those God puts in my life as to refine me and so that in the future I can share His truth with others.

6. Justin says:

“But here’s the thing with God’s Word- it’s power and authority have nothing to do with our approval of its message. If it’s true, we need to hear it, no matter how much we may not want to.”
    This phrase or message has been playing a tune in the back of my mind for the past couple of weeks. I have been eager to listen because I know that “small voice” is eager to woo me towards the direction of the cross. Not only to the cross but to humble obedience to the Father. Don’t get me wrong, my intention is to continually surrender myself to Christ desire for me but sometimes I just won’t get off the throne.
    Why does this happen? Why must I continue to take the trip down selfish pursuit lane. Why am I so weak at time to stand fast in the midst of chaos. Oh Lord. May you always send the voice of the prophet in my life. May I never be left without the Words of truth to rebuke, correct, and train me into the man you have me to be.

7. Ryan says:

I want to be a man under the authority of God. I want to be a man who hears the truth and instruction of God’s word and is sensitive to it. Give me a heart, Lord, that loves correction from your spirit, and is able to be obedient to your word. Would you allow me to hear your truth and then share it with those around me? I am sure the prophets were despised because few like to be given advice and even fewer truth when they are in the wrong. Let me hear what is right and true in your eyes and share what I hear.

8. Austin Borders says:

I find myself forgetting that amidst the times of anxiety, hardship, or feeling distant, we can turn to the simple commands of acting justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly. His commands are for our good and His glory–how awesome is that, that he delights in us and Himself because he is glorified as we obey and are brought into deeper intimacy with Him.

9. Conor Barry says:

The authority of Christ and His word in my life is something that I often shrug. I very easily identify Him as my Savior. It’s the truth that He has saved me so that He can greater be my Lord that I often forget, fail to submit to or simply just don’t care about.

God’s word to us is not just for our consumption; but also for our heeding, our careful attention and submission. God does not reveal Himself to us in His words so we can simply just agree with it. He gives us His word so that it might instruct us, so that it might mold us, so that it would transform us by the power of the Holy Spirit.

And the crazy thing is that without Christ none of us could be obedient to the word. Without Christ, we’re enslaved to our sin and sentenced to a death apart from God. Those dead and apart from God cannot be obedient to or even acknowledge God. And yet as John 1 says the Word became flesh and dwelt among us so that we could be freed from our sin and death, raised to life to enjoy an eternity of enjoying, serving and being obedient to God for who He truly is in His word.

10. Thanks so much for the blog article.Much thanks again. Cool.