First Sunday of Advent

1 Timothy 1:15

Memorizing Scripture is one way to prepare our hearts for the coming of Christ, our Savior. This week, we will memorize the key verse for this Advent reading plan:

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.
– 1 Timothy 1:15

Write this verse down in a place where you’ll see it often, or save the image below as your phone’s lock screen so you can read it throughout the day. As you memorize this verse, give thanks to God for the gift of His Son, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

19 thoughts on "First Sunday of Advent"

1. Ken Fuller says:

This verse breaks everything down because the Bible also says we are all sinners – all races, all genders, all statures in life, all ages, all religions (is there anymore distinctions I could make?). In 1779, John Newton wrote: “Incarnate God! The soul that knows thy name’s mysterious power will dwell in undisturbed repose, nor fear the trying hour.” Can we see LORD God exploding myth and mystery, expounding and expanding the embodiment of Eternal Life in human form with infallible integrity? This is my prayer.

2. Isaac Rumbold says:

As I think of how Christ came down to save sinners and that I am the worst among them. It is humbling to have that mind set. Not the mindset of how perfect and good I am but a mindset of I have blown just as bad as everyone else. Probably even worse.

3. Adam says:

Sometimes I forget about sin. Other times I’m aware of sin but forget the magnitude of sin, rebelling against one who loves me unconditionally. But this is why Christ came to redeem us to save us. For that I’m thankful.

4. Justin says:

I find this Scripture to be rather conflicting with the message of Christmas today. For many the presents and individual experience out ways the true message of Christmas. Lord you have given me the opportunity to speak upon the truth of Christmas for the youth. You always fill me with a grateful and humble heart but today was different. Today you showed how you brought yourself lowly, even to the point of being known by just a few upon your coming into this world. I often times don’t understand how a great God could do such an act but that also reveals my brokenness. My inability to see by what authority you reign. I think most of the time it is tainted by the misuse of power today, but I know you are greater than that.
    Finally in reflection to the purpose. I come to the foot of the cross, still amazed and speechless. I know Im somewhat educated in the theology in the word but there is not enough wisdom or knowledge to provoke a true understanding of your grace and mercy. I think for me that is what’s so captivating about this season this and every year and why I am so captivated by your most glorious presence. Thank you for coming and thank you for letting me know you and tell the whole world!

5. Jeremy Houf says:

I am the chief of sinners…
    In my marriage
    In my family
    In my job
    In life
    Thanks be to God for the coming of our savior to seek and save the lost of which I am most!
    Advent Here, Christ our King
    Come Lord Jesus Come
    In my marriage
    In my family
    In my job
    In my life
    Thank you God for this advent season to prepare my heart for your coming both now and forevermore!

6. Glen says:

This is a humbling reminder that King Jesus left His throne to come to earth. He was rejected and despised. He became sin. He did this all so that the world who hated Him could be reconciled with the Father. He did this so God could receive ultimate glory. How many kings would become the least for me? Only He did that for me!

7. Scott Schulman says:

The reason Christ came to earth was to save sinners like me. Paul said he was the foremost, but I think God is telling us through Paul that we are all the foremost of sinners. I am thankful that God saved and used Paul who did indeed do many horrible things before his conversion to Christ. It gives me hope that God can use me, a man who has sinned many times, for God’s glory.

8. Luke says:

This verse should cause me to say “that’s me” instead of “that’s them” (sinners)

9. Andrew says:

I am so thankful for my salvation. The hope that I have because of Him is the only thing that keeps me going. Even when my life around me seems to be collapsing in on me. He is still constant. All knowing all powerful. His grace is sufficient. He is Perfecting something in me. Help me be joyful

10. Matt Bruns says:

Reflect. Jesus came to save sinners.

It’s trustworthy.

It’s the Message. The logos.

And verse 16 is our response.

How do I reflect this message? How do I show the patience of Jesus to save me?

But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.

An example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.

People come to Jesus knowing others who have come to Jesus.

11. Conor Barry says:

Jesus took on flesh, dwelt among sin and sinners in coming to earth and came to save us from our sin and ultimately our death that our sin brought about. He came for the needs of others, those who hated him, those who would kill him. He died for our most desperate need. That was the purpose for which God sent him, that was the purpose he died for and that is a beautiful truth when you think about the fact that God took on flesh to do that on behalf of those who were his enemies, for those like Paul, who were farthest from him.

12. Patrick Shen says:

Jesus came for me, foremost of sinners. Thank you God for loving and dying for me as I am.

13. Brandon Dillard says:

We should be joyful at all times because Christ came into this world and died for me. I spend too much time worrying and focusing on myself. I need to focus on Christ and be thankful and grateful.

14. Anthony David says:

Thank You!!!!

15. Dalton Forman says:

I am excited that we get an entire season to dedicate time with other in a way that teaches the simplest and yet most profound story, the birth of Christ and the gift which fulfills the gospel and reconciliation with God.

16. Daniel Stevanus says:

Of whom I am the foremost… may I remember this each day!! I’m not better than others, or in a different/better situation. I am the chief of sinners in my circle. May this be a sobering reminder of that!

17. Greg Garcia says:

When I think of memorizing scripture it’s usually to over come sin and to “do better”. I’ve never considered the reason for memorizing scripture is to be prepared for Christ coming.

Christ came into the world to save sinners 1 Timothy 1:14

18. Lane Millsap says:

Christ came for me, there’s so many times when I completely forget the most basic truth. Of course, not mentally but spiritually. For me I feel like I almost have short term spiritual memory loss. Where I can read a verse, hear a sermon, and then completely forget about the meaning behind it. This verse, is one that I will work to memorize. Because it is the foundation for the celebration of Advent. God became man, so that men could become Sons of God.

19. Frantz says:

I am thankful to God for my salvation in Christ.