There Is No Fear in Love

from the 1, 2, and 3 John reading plan

1 John 4:1-19, 1 Peter 2:1-3, John 15:18-21, Psalm 36:1-12

As a sweating Meatloaf (the singer, not the potluck dish) once belted out, people will “do anything for love.” We are fools for love, risking life and limb and bank account for it. It is the stuff of storybooks and Hollywood. Love overcomes fear and logic. It enables us to do amazing (and sometimes idiotic) things. It is incredibly powerful – whether the love of a woman, a parent’s love for a child, or a best friend’s loyal love.

There is a love that supersedes all that, though – the love that marks us as followers of Jesus. It is perfect love because it is God’s love, the love that moved Him to give up His Son to make us His own children. It is the love that sent the Holy Spirit to be our guide. It is the love that gives us the assurance of our place as His children and our freedom from His judgment. As children of God, our acts of love are because of this Perfect love. We love because we are loved. We are marked as God’s family by two things: professing Jesus as Lord of our lives, and this perfect love from God.

If our love for a partner, a child, or a friend can overcome our fears, what can this perfect love from God do? 1 John 4 tells us it drives out fear. It does not mask fear. It does not make us fools or steal our left-brain. It doesn’t mask the consequences for our actions. The perfect love from God sends fear fleeing.

As mortal, sinful people we will still be afraid, but might that not mean we have lost sight of God’s love for us in Christ? Might we, in those times of fear or worry, have lost touch with the Spirit who assures us of our place in God’s family? We have the single thing needed to never be shaped or defined by our fears again: the unfailing love of God.

Imagine a life not marked by insecurity or worrying what people will think. Imagine stepping up and doing those things our consciences prod us to do but our minds refuse to. Imagine realizing that the love we have from God is too great to keep to ourselves, so we simply tell others about it instead of clamming up.

But we do not have to imagine. We are children of God because of God’s great love for us. We have His love in us – perfect love. We do not need to fear trials or persecution. We live in the shelter of God’s love and are defined by it.

Written by Barnabas Piper

7 thoughts on "There Is No Fear in Love"

1. Bryce says:

Jesus, thank you for your perfect love for me poured out and on display at the cross. Thank you for giving everything for me, I am woefully, woefully undeserving. Help me to walk in this grace and show it to others as well.

2. Jeremy says:

My dad never really cared how I needed to be loved. He had been married previously and had two kids, so when he married my mom and had me, he was pretty much done with raising kids and let my mom handle it. Which led me to be resentful in my high school and college years.

He died when I was 23 and it was hard to process that my dad had died, but also that he was someone who I had a surface level relationship with.

All that to say; don’t judge God’s love by how your earthly father loves you. Judge your earthly father in light of God’s perfect love.

3. Ben Garcia says:

“There is no fear in love…”
    This truth is so powerful. What do I like be now that causes me to fear? Who have I caused fear to that I love?
    May the self examination of my heat bring to light the fear that need be extinguished by Your love.
    “But perfect love casts out fear.”
    Father, thank you for your love. Challenge me today to love you as you have loved me. Sacrificially. Fully. Sincerely.
    May people know me by your love, for your namesake.
    Amen.

4. Drew S says:

The love we are able to give to others should reflect the unconditional love God has given us. The spirit that dwells inside of us is because of Him. We cannot truly understand the depths of His love, but we strive to give a fraction of it away to others.

5. Sean Morecraft says:

Every time I think about sin I worry. Every time I read a passage about those who have sinned and those who are wicked at heart I fear. This is because my very core was evil. I have sinned and still do. Everything in me and everything I did showed hate for God and rebellion against his design. Therefore, I worry, and fear, and fret about it.

“But perfect love casts out fear,” that is, the love that drove Christ to the cross is what casts out fear. What kind of fear? Well, really any kind, but mainly the kind that fears judgement. That fears rejection. That fears any sort of chance that you could be wrong about your faith and belief in God. Fear, the most crippling emotion that often causes a lot of our sin. When we fear we distrust God. But instead of thinking of condemnation and sin, “whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable –if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” (Phil. 4:8) Let’s spend our time pondering the grace brought to us through Jesus Christ and the forgiveness that we have. Let’s think about the perfect love of God that casts out all fear and causes us to be children of Him!

6. Christoper Olson says:

The message that got me was in verse 18 ….whoever fears has not been perfected in love. 1 John 4:18. Man has my heart not been perfected in love, and I let other emotions drive my logic, mind, heart, actions, etc. I’ve been afraid for so long. Lord help me do everything in light of your faithful love.

7. Kevin says:

Day 8: Gods love is unreal and so hard to understand. Im so unworthy of it. Thank you God for loving me well, I hope that myself and these men can show your love to those around us.