The Darkness Is Passing Away

from the 1, 2, and 3 John reading plan

1 John 2:1-14, Ephesians 6:10-20, 1 Timothy 2:5-6, Matthew 11:25-30

It was a theory voiced by an aging doubt-filled faithful Catholic in a sunlit Waffle House on the outskirts of Fairhope, Alabama. Paul took a deep swig of his coal-black coffee, wiped his mouth with his napkin and said, “Look, when a man and a woman make love, they make love. They’re literally creating love in the world that wasn’t there moments before.” He grinned and waited for my younger Baptist-bred response. I took an equally deep swig of coffee, then simply grinned back.

I think about my friend Paul’s theory often. I believe there’s truth to it, I really do. And I believe there’s a kindred truth to that of making love, and that’s making light. That’s right – making light. Stay with me a minute.

The disciple Jesus loved is writing to people very dear to his heart, so dear that he refers to them as his “children.” His words to them are equal parts pastoral and parental. John cautions them against hating brother or sister, for in so doing they are furthering the reality of darkness. His heart-felt plea is for them to love one another, for when that happens they are living in the light. In other words, they are making light. Stay with me one more minute.

If Christ lives in us – the same Christ that John referred to in his Gospel as “the light of the world” – then every fiber of our being is infused with that light source. So in whatever we do or say, if it is saturated with love, then we are co-laborers with Christ in unmaking the dark. We are making light. And in the presence of such light, darkness has no choice but to retreat. The darkness is disappearing because of God’s children, well, making light.

If I had shared that theory that day with Paul, I believe he would have scratched his grizzled chin for a minute, then grinned. There’s a good chance he might have just given up and erupted in belly laughter at the thought of it all, causing our fellow breakfast fans to pause mid-bite and stare. Quite a picture if you think about it: two aging men swapping theories about making love and making light, and in the midst of their Waffle Housed laughter, the light outside growing taller and stronger and brighter. The light overcoming. The light winning.

Written By John Blase

9 thoughts on "The Darkness Is Passing Away"

1. Zac Lyons says:

There seems to be a connection between saying and doing in these first two passages. If we say we “have fellowship with God” and “abide in him” and yet we “walk in darkness,” we do not practice a true faith but a false one. If we do “walk in the light” then we have “fellowship with one another” and “with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ”.

BUT, what does it mean for us to “walk in the light?”

1. Confess our sin, live openly and transparently before and within community.

2. Do not sin. Keep his commandments and his word. This is only feasible if we have the word of of life in us and we live a life of continual confession within community. We must continually live a life of repentance and forgiveness–repenting of and confessing our sin to one another and offering forgiveness to one another. This is what Christ has already done for us.

3. We must walk in the way that he walked. How did he walk? He loved us while we were still dead in our sins. So much so that he shed his own blood for our cleansing. He laid down his own life for ours. He took our unrighteous robes and gave us his righteous–indeed, he is the only righteous one. He is light. We are darkness. Any light in us is of him who is the light of the world.

Father, I am full of pride, anger, frustration, lies and lust. Give me more of you Jesus, less of me. Make me a doer of your word, and not a hearer only. Give me a love for your word and your commands. Teach me to walk in the way you walked–humble, honest, true, gentle, full of love for others, and quick to proclaim the gospel of peace.

2. Beau Maloy says:

I will have to take some more time to mull on the ideas presented in the devotional portion. The main question that I need to research — when scripture says ‘God is Love’, what is the ‘type’ of Love conveyed? I’ve never thought about it before, but it’s an intriguing thought that cropped up in my mind while reading today. It could help me unpack the idea of love & light between people — not that I disagree per se, but I have to chew on it more.

Nevertheless, I need daily reminders to ‘Come and Rest’. We all need that, whether we think we are weary or not.

3. Ben Garcia says:

I have been a liar.
    That’s tough to admit.
    I believe but do not obey.
    John isn’t calling me out though.
    He’s writing so that we may not sin.
    The beauty of the gospel.
    We are forgiven…
    FOR HIS NAMESAKE.
    That’s the key.
    I am not saved for myself
    I am not even saved solely for my eternal well being.
    It is for the sake/glory of His name.
    Not my own.
    He has given me armor to withstand.
    When I can not withstand…
    He has given me Jesus.
    Father, as I work and stress,
    Give me your rest.
    When my burden is heavy,
    Replace it with yours.
    That I may walk in the light,
    For YOUR namesake.
    Amen

4. Jeremy says:

1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

What a powerful statement. Even as sinners we have an advocate. This may be the aspect of faith that I struggle with the most.

I was once asked how I thought God’s face looked when he looked down on me. My response was a face like this: :-/

Disappointed in a “you can do better” way. But God smiles down on us because He loves us unconditionally. He sent his son to be our advocate and to show us the love that He has for us.

5. Sean Morecraft says:

Can we make light? Maybe we can impart light that Christ makes. Because Christ is the one who is light. I don’t think that WE make light…

But it is interesting to think that 1 John 2 could be talking about the darkness passing away. 1 John 1 talks about how God has no darkness and then it’s also inherent in our sinful nature that we are ALL darkness until Christ reveals himself to us. Once Christ comes into the picture all darkness escapes. It flees. It is terrified of light. It literally cannot be present when light is. How do we know that this light has cast out the dark? “By this we know we have come to know him, if we obey his commands. (Vs. 3)” “But whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.” (Vs. 5-6) If Christ dwells in us, and he is all light, then how could there be any darkness in us? “Stand firm, therefore and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. (Gal. 5:1)” Stand firm, brothers and sisters, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. Continue pressing on toward the goal of Christ and when you breathe your last you will enter into eternal joy.

6. Chad Gfeller says:

Part of understanding light overtaking the darkness is also understanding that this light is inseparable from God’s commands. We cannot create light outside of the guidelines God has given us to live our lives. We must remember this when we love others because our world looks at love very differently than our God does. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy and it does not hurt others. Praise God who has given us His Word to walk toward light and His Son who reminds Him of His love for us when we fall.

7. Donald Hart says:

I’m not sure it’s as much “making light” as it is “sharing light”…or even “releasing light”. If the spirit of God lives in us…the creator of all things…the light of the world…then it is not enough to say we make light but that we reveal His true light. It is truly not us at all but Him. We are simply vessels for his light and grace. By obeying His commandments and walking in His way we reveal His true nature to a dark would in a way that aluminates His love. I have no ability to obey His commandments on my own as I have no ability to create light is this world…it is Christ who lives in me.

8. Christoper Olson says:

The light doesn’t feel like it is winning for me. The darkness feels like it is winning. It is hard for me to have hope. I don’t think I can do what I was called to do, nor do I believe anyone else does. I can’t let the darkness win, but it is hard to fight against it.

9. Kevin says:

Day 2: I love how he opens open with “my little children”. It’s such a beautiful way to see our relationship with God. Like father and son, we look up to the lord as our mentor. Our friend. Our dad. I also think it’s important that our relationship with Jesus isn’t just stuff we know about him. Being a fan of steph curry doesn’t mean I know the dude. I could ramble on and on about stats of him, but do I actually know him? No. Same with Jesus, I don’t want to just know things about God. Just know bible verses to recite at the right time. I want to have a deep relationship with the father that makes me a follower of him. Not a fan.