Light and Darkness

from the 1, 2, and 3 John reading plan

1 John 1:1-10, John 1:1-5, Matthew 28:18-20, Numbers 14:18-19

John always begins at the beginning. In his gospel, he declares, “In the beginning was the Word” (John 1:1). In 1 John, he writes, “That which was from the beginning… we proclaim also to you” (1 John 1:1). He continually beckons us to remember the light of that first creation, which is Christ Himself. In the beginning, God said, “Let there be light” and there was light (Genesis 1:3).

The sharp divide of light from darkness, of right from wrong, of holiness from wickedness, of truth from falsehood, makes us uncomfortable. We live in a world that is very comfortable with gray. We are more comfortable with gray because, in the muddied middle grounds, we can more easily dodge the issue of sin. We may prefer not to make the bold statement, “I have no sin,” but it’s easy enough to say, “It’s a gray area, neither right nor wrong.”

Like Adam and Eve, we hide in the bushes, point the finger of distraction, make an excuse, and blame the circumstances or someone else. We’d rather not deal with Christ’s light and our darkness.

So John begins: “This is the message we have heard from Him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with Him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth” (1 John 1:5-6).

In Christ is no darkness at all. None. With God, nothing is neutral. He doesn’t deal in moral gray areas. “The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but he will by no means clear the guilty” (Numbers 14:18). This is an unsettling truth for a people comfortable with gray. The gospel is uncomfortable because it exposes the truth, a truth that we are reluctant to face. Do we hide in the darkness, or do we love the light?

Apart from the grace of God, I would remain hiding in the corner, making excuses, and avoiding the truth. But John calls us to enter the light not in fear, but with great joy. Yes, we, like Adam, have sinned grievously. But if we will lay our darkness at His feet, we will be made clean. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

Just as, in the beginning, God spoke into darkness and declared, “Let there be light!”, so also His voice pierces our darkness. In this our joy is made complete, for “the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it” (John 1:5). Brothers, if we walk in the light, we have fellowship with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.

Written By Caleb Faires

11 thoughts on "Light and Darkness"

1. Justin Haight says:

This is such a powerful passage. It’s always good to remember that Jesus died for our sins, and by repentance, we can be forgiven. Also knowing that God is only light and there is no darkness or gray in what he does is a very strong statement that I reflected on for a while. Just think about the power and righteousness of God!

2. Cody says:

It’s so true that we (I) tend to hide in gray areas because the contrast of light and dark is uncomfortable. But that unbending contrast is the nature of God. Loving what is good and hating what is evil.

God, make me more like you. Help me love what you love and hate what you hate.

3. Sean Morecraft says:

God is light… In him is no darkness… Thinking of how there’s no gray area, how many times have I pretended there was? How many times do I try to justify what I do? He demands our utmost. Our every being should be devoted to holiness. To reflect his image properly we strive for holiness, not relevance. We boast in nothing but Christ. The only time we boast in freedom is the freedom from sin. We don’t devote our time to boasting in our freedom from the law, but we boast in freedom from the thing that keeps us far from God.

4. Joe H says:

Work, anxiety, escape, and comfort attempt to shackle me to the gray area if not to darkness. Ever since work and family I have struggled. I struggle with worry and fear. I have struggled and still do with anxiety about future illnesses of children and myself. But not necessarily for others- I am always optimistic. What is the light in this situation this ongoing season I am in????

5. Cesar says:

We are light, children of God we must always walk in light to shine bright among this wicked generation.

6. Sean Muzljakovich says:

Grey area’s are difficult, especially living as a millennial. We rationalize everything and can spin most sin into some sort of positive light. This is so dangerous, and not at all in the ways of scripture. I pray that the Lord helps me stand firm in the truth the light and the life which is in God my savior!

7. Donald Hart says:

Sitting here it is easy to say “this is good and true” but to truly reflect and apply is much harder. Sitting here in a hotel in Istanbul I am convicted that my conversations must start with the light that was in the beginning, with Christ. If we don’t start there we have no where “deep” to go. Equally as important is that our God is “slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgressions.” And that he wants a relationship with all!

In 1 John he is righting to those he desires to have fellowship with and to whom he desire to have fellowship with God. In that our “joy (is not) complete” until we are all in fellowship together with the father. How many friends do I have whom I desire to have complete joy with?

8. Christoper Olson says:

I like the part where John says those who walk in the light walk in love. Making the hard choice to love and walk in love is an amazing thought. But when we do this we reflect God and prove to be God’s children.

9. Kevin says:

Day 1: I love that the Lord doesn’t see a grey area. Nothing is neutral with him. I think sometimes I make excuses as to why my sin is excusable and find myself trying to create a grey area for it to fall into. Where I know, the lord isn’t pleased with that. He is slow to anger and abounds in steadfast love, and wants me to choose him, not things of this world.

10. Brant says:

People love the darkness but call it grey rather than dark to ease their souls. We look at others and think we’re not as “bad” as so and so we think we are more in the light, which is the farthest thing from the truth.

It is hard to deal with sin, even as a believer knowing we are free from it. Why do we so often fall back into the old nature? I think the temptation will always be there to some extent because we need to continually strive to be in the light. God uses circumstances and people to reveal where we need to trust, believe, or obey more fully God as he carries on the work of sanctification in our lives. Circumstances and people are not to be used as scapegoats, which is one of our first reactions, but should be looked at as opportunities to grow in the Lord and being able to overcome the darkness by His light.

11. Duncan S says:

Since God is light, I’m reminded that anything hidden will eventually be exposed by the light. I’ve recently encountered the truth of this. Something I had hidden my whole life came to light but now I think it’s the first step on the path to healing. So thankful that God is LOVE and that there is forgiveness when I walk in the light.