Peter Heals in Christ’s Name

from the Acts of the Apostles reading plan

Acts 9:32-43, Mark 5:21-43, Psalm 36:8-9

Have you ever seen a dead body? Maybe at a visitation or wake? It’s a strange experience, especially if you knew the person. In death they cease being the person you knew. Something is absent, and they look like a mannequin version of the person you loved. When life ends, the person is gone and what is left is but a shell.

Death is final. What’s the old joke? The two things you can count on in life are death and taxes. But try to imagine a scenario where death is not final, when it’s an intermission but not the end of the story. That’s hard to do, isn’t it?

Somehow, that’s what we see in Acts 9. After Peter visited Aeneas, who had been paralyzed for eight years, and healed him in the name of Jesus, Peter was summoned to a nearby town. A beloved saint named Tabitha had passed away. Her friends were stricken. She was the sweetest, gentlest, most generous woman they knew, and now she was gone forever.

You’d expect Peter to comfort them with hope for the future and reminders of the resurrection. He might sit with them and be a good pastor who listens and cares. But what he actually does is, well, unusual. Peter goes into the room where Tabitha’s shell of a body is laid out and prepared for burial, sends everyone away, and prays over her. She’s gone, Pete. What’s the point?

In that moment he must have thought back to the time he saw his Savior do the same thing in the room of a young girl who had died. He must have remembered that Jesus not only raised that girl with a word but that He also rose from the dead Himself. Peter must have realized that when Jesus sent the Holy Spirit, it was for more than preaching and speaking in tongues. It was a spirit of power—the Spirit of Christ. Besides, hadn’t he just seen a man healed days before?

So Peter prayed with a certainty that death was not final.

Tabitha awoke. Her intermission ended and her story continued. She went from waxen to awakened, from absent to present.

You know what’s amazing about this story (aside from the woman rising from the dead)? The same Holy Spirit Peter depended on, who breathed life into a corpse, is with us today. All who follow Christ have the Holy Spirit.

No, we may never heal a paralytic or raise the dead, but the Spirit did raise the dead when He brought us from spiritual death to life. We have life because of the same miraculous power that brought a little girl and a woman back from the dead.

Written By Barnabas Piper

32 thoughts on "Peter Heals in Christ’s Name"

1. Nick says:

He has power to raise people from the dead.

2. Nick says:

By acknowledging where the true will for anything good in this life comes from- Jesus.

3. Nick says:

We can be taken from life to death to life to death by a power not our own…we aren’t as sovereign as we tend to think we are.

4. Nick says:

That same power of God which raises people from the dead lives inside of me.

5. Nick says:

Lord, allow me to again see beyond my own strengths and weaknesses, into your peace and rest and transcends all understanding.

6. Nico Little says:

Just remember that eternity is what God has for me. That death isn’t the end so why am I doing stuff for myself. If I live for him then I’ll live forever.

7. Nico Little says:

That death is final for man. No matter what we do death is our destiny

8. Nico Little says:

That God can raise the dead. He did with me when I was baptized.

9. Nico Little says:

To remind me where I came from. That I remember that before Christ I was headed to death and nothing. But with Christ he forgave me for my sins and I rose again in him.

10. Mick says:

The Gospel changes lives, and can have a ripple effect to others as well.

11. Mick says:

Our faith in Christ has the power to influence others to also believe. It’s never about what we are able to do, but what Christ has done for us.

12. Mick says:

The power of Christ in us does amazing things. And although we may not see someone raise up from the dead, we see people’s lives dramatically changed by the power of the Gospel.

13. Mick says:

I need to realize it’s not me. No matter how hard I try, it always needs to be about Christ.

14. Mick says:

Father, you are the giver of life. You restore the broken hearted. Help me to have faith like we see of the disciples in the early church. Amen.

15. Will Haussler says:

Man needs faith. We need faith for the Holy Spirit to move us and work in us and give us power. We need faith to be healed.

16. Will Haussler says:

I will remind myself that the same spirit that’s in me is the same spirit that has risen people from the dead.

17. Will Haussler says:

His spirit is powerful and that same spirit lives in us. It teaches me that he loves everyone and is willing to heal anyone with faith. They didn’t have to promise to come to church after that, or promise to become disciples or preach the word of God, but he did it straight out of love.

18. Will Haussler says:

Jesus’ love is freakin dope.

19. Will Haussler says:

Pray that I can continually trust in God and his power. That I can remember that the holt spirit is in me and it’s a powerful spirit.

20. Isaac Jones says:

He can bring the dead to life.

21. Isaac Jones says:

God’s Spirit is in us.

22. Isaac Jones says:

We can bring the gospel, miracles, and faith where there is not much faith.

23. Isaac Jones says:

I will seek to have faith in the will, work and power of God.

24. Isaac Jones says:

Heavenly Father, help me to believe in the reality of you power today. May I have the faith to obey you, and pour out your Spirit. Amen.

25. Aidan Corona says:

The very same Spirit that healed people through Peter & other disciples, and restored life to Lazarus and Tabitha and even Jesus himself is in me, and through him, I’m capable of the kind of things Jesus was doing.

26. Aidan Corona says:

The Gospel is so powerfully true that the laws of nature themselves are at the mercy of the very words of people who believe and work in Jesus’ name.

27. Aidan Corona says:

God truly keeps His promises. When He says He’ll give us the full power of His Spirit, He means it.

28. Brien says:

We are the objects and beneficiaries of Gods great love and power. We are blessed beyond measure to know a God who loves and cares for us this much, and to be connected to and have fellowship with the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead.

29. Brien says:

The power of God is limitless. Conquering sickness, sin and even death.
    His power never diminishes, it is active and available today just as it was in the days of Peter and Paul.

30. Brien says:

May I always remain open to the spirit of God and the power He desire to unleash in my life. May I pull the limited off of God and yield to the power of the gospel continually.

31. Brien says:

The Gospel is powerful and it brings life.
    It’s power is so multifaceted and transformative and the Spirit of God is eager to help put it to work in our lives.

32. Brien says:

God, I want everything you have for me! I want to know you and live in the fullness of who you are and the power you have made available to your children.
    Lead me. Help me to recognize your leading. May your purpose and power be evident in my life.