Places in Acts

from the Countdown to Acts reading plan

Acts 23:11, Romans 1:8-17, John 12:44-50

In the Great Commission, Jesus said His followers would be His witnesses “in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:8).

In those days, many considered the Roman Empire to reach to the ends of the earth. In that sense, the progression Jesus described is precisely what we see happen in the book of Acts as the gospel spreads from Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria to the ends of the Roman Empire. Since that time, the gospel has traveled around the globe many times over.

In terms of our present-day geography, here are some key places where the events of Acts took place:

Jerusalem: Roughly the same city as the one established during King David’s reign. As Israel’s capital city, Jerusalem is the heart of Jewish history and culture.

Judea: The southern half of present day Israel—stretching from the Jordan River and Dead Sea west to the Mediterranean Sea, and from Gaza and the Red Sea north to Tel Aviv. It became a Roman province in 6 AD.

Samaria: The northern half of present-day Israel, reaching from the Jordan River west to the Mediterranean Sea. Samaria was home to descendants of the Israelites who intermarried with their Babylonian captors during exile. These “Samaritans” were shunned by many traditional Jews.

Asia Minor: The region of Paul’s 1st Missionary Journey—modern-day Turkey and Syria. Asia Minor included the regions of Phrygia, Pisidia, Galatia, Cappadocia, and Cilicia, and the cities of Derbe, Lystra, Ephesus, Colossae, Miletus, Philadelphia, and Antioch.

Macedonia and Achaia: The regions of Paul’s 2nd and 3rd Missionary Journeys—modern-day Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, and Greece. The regions of Macedonia and Achaia included the cities of Thessalonica, Philippi, Berea, Athens, and Corinth.

Rome, Sicily, and Malta: The same as today. Sicily and Malta are the two islands just off the toe of Italy’s “boot.” Rome was the power center and heart of the vast Roman Empire.

26 thoughts on "Places in Acts"

1. Isaac Jones says:

Man is God’s instrument in the earth. God has commanded us to accept the truth of the gospel and proclaim it to others. We are either faithful and with Christ or unbelieving and unfaithful and against Christ.

2. Isaac Jones says:

God put facts before the people rather than pleasant lies. God planned the progression of the gospel. Everything that happens is God’s will even the hard things in life are incorporated into the plan of avid and expected by God.

3. Isaac Jones says:

I will respond by studying the gospel and sword of God. I will be a small part of the messengers where I can. By the faith given to me I shall obey.

4. Isaac Jones says:

The gospel is good news for everyone. The people no longer had to forsake their culture to be culturally Jewish, but now the gospel went out into every culture. The gospel allows everyone to worship God in their style. The good news is that we have brothers and sisters all over the world.

5. Isaac Jones says:

Heavenly Father,
    Please give me faithfulness to pursue you daily. Many scary things happen in life, and many things happen to make us apathetic, guarded, slanderous, gossipers, and lovers of evil. Satan is at work in the world and I need you to keep me and your other children from evil. Help us Lord, for we are weak and ashamed of ourselves and even you. God we are so prone to follow the passions of our flesh and the desires of our heart rather than the righteousness of your word. For give me for my sinfulness and lead me to faithfulness. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil for you are with me. Your rod and your staff they comfort me. Amen.

6. Nick says:

He has different levels of missionary work.
    From close-knit and personal, to distant people who are irrelative.

7. Nick says:

We mustn’t limit ourselves to one particular group for out reach.
    We must trust Jesus to carry us well across borders and people group we set up.

8. Nick says:

Jesus did not come to judge the world but to save it.
    His final judgment will come- I put all my evidence in Jesus.

9. Nick says:

Staying awake.

10. Nick says:

Help me cross borders to all people.

11. Adam Tichenor says:

I pray that i have the strength to do God’s will for myself and that i can bring others to Christ by the way I live and by teaching people the Gospel.

12. Adam Tichenor says:

God had a plan from the start. His plan was for the Gospel to be spread to the ends of the earth and can see it happening throughout the New Testament.

13. Adam Tichenor says:

We are capable of much more than we think if we would only trust in God’s plan and timing.

14. Trevv says:

The Gospel is boundless. When absolute truth is revealed, there is not stopping it on its mission. We must have faith that God will lead us where we need to go in order to further the Gospel message. It’s tenacious, it’s demanding, but it’s love. The greatest news the world has ever known.

15. Trevv says:

I will be courageous in my fight to spread the Gospel. I will follow where God leads me, I will listen for His direction, and pray for understanding. I want to be a follower who is after the mission with reckless abandonment.

16. Trevv says:

God has set us up well to be able to spread the message of His sacrifice to the world. He leads us into many “tribes and nations” that allow His truth to be magnified and multiplied throughout His creation.

17. Trevv says:

We are called. We’ve been given a mission by God to take the Gospel to the “ends of the earth.” We mess up, we’re human, we get scared. But we can trust in the Lord and His promise that the Gospel will lead itself, we are merely God’s tools to do so. A creative poet named Propaganda puts it this way..”Defending the Gospel is like defending a hungry lion. Just unlock the cage, homie.” This meaning, the Gospel will speak for itself. God will change hearts, we just have to capitalize on the facilitation of that to reach people.

18. Trevv says:

I will pray for strength, for clarity, for trust in my God. I know that I’m not worthy of a cause such as this. But that’s exactly it. If it were dependent on me, the story would have ended a long time ago. I will pray with thanksgiving to the God who has spared my life and now uses it for his glory and honor.

19. Johnsan says:

We need others to worship and learn more. Faith should not be a solo thing. We need others for corporate worship, learning and accountability.

20. Johnsan says:

The gospel is for everyone! Even if we think it’s pointless, it’s never pointless to God.

21. Tyler Huff says:

It teaches us that God wants to see us succeed in spreading the gospel all around the world.

22. Ethan Wymer says:

That we can walk with Jesus in a journey of teaching others about God’s word. We are wanted to go to all nations to spread the gospel.

23. Ethan Wymer says:

It teaches us that it wasn’t made from one type of person or one perspective. The Bible came from many different parts of the world.

24. Ethan Wymer says:

By not being afraid to go out and spread the gospel.

25. Ethan Wymer says:

God can use normal human beings to carry out His word throughout the world.

26. Ethan Wymer says:

Pray for strength, reassurance, wisdom from the Bible to know how to talk to people with no faith.