Holy Week in Real Time: Tuesday

from the Lent 2016 reading plan

Luke 21:1-38, Luke 22:1-2, Daniel 7:13-14

The Tuesday of Holy Week was filled with drama.

If Monday’s arrival in the temple was marked by Jesus’ living parable of cleansing God’s house, Tuesday’s entrance was marked by a direct, verbal confrontation from the religious leadership, the Sanhedrin. They demanded to know who gave Jesus the right to behave as He has in their temple (Mark 11:27-33).

This entire confrontation was an attempt to put Jesus in His place by forcing Him to yield to the Sanhedrin’s authority. But when they tried, they failed. Jesus asked smarter questions and gave clearer answers than they did (Matthew 21:23-27). When they tried to question His motives, He exposed their hearts. When they attempted to intimidate Him by coming to Him in numbers, He never showed the slightest sign of backing down. They tried to discredit His ministry, but there were people walking around in the temple who, only days earlier, had been blind and lame (Matthew 21:14).

Jesus had literally turned the tables on the Sanhedrin the day before (Matthew 21:12), but today He had done it again—only this time with further-reaching implications. When they demanded that He submit to their authority, He exposed them as liars. If they had no integrity, they held no real authority.

This forced the religious leaders’ hand. If they wanted to contain Jesus’ influence among the people, they would have to rely on more than warnings and bravado. They would have to remove Him—because it was clear that He would not yield.

After Jesus ended the confrontation on Tuesday by refusing to regard these leaders as having any authority over Him, He elected to spend the rest of the day right there in the temple—His Father’s house—so that He might teach the people the Word of God (Matthew 21:28-23:39). Consider for a moment the strength and resolve that standing His ground would have required.

But Tuesday afternoon would be the last time Jesus would publicly teach in the temple as a free man. His words on that day would be His closing argument—His manifesto.

When Jesus left the temple that Tuesday, the chief priests and the scribes sought how to arrest Him by stealth and kill Him (Mark 14:1). They knew they couldn’t take His life from Him solely on the strength of the charges they meant to bring—not if He defended Himself, anyway.

But He would not. Instead, by His silence, He would offer up His life for a world of blasphemers, traitors, and liars who so desperately needed to be opposed and upset. This was what Jesus had come to do.

As He left the temple that Tuesday afternoon, He knew it would happen soon.

written by Russ Ramsey
adapted from Behold the King of Glory

10 thoughts on "Holy Week in Real Time: Tuesday"

1. Isaac Jones says:

Man likes to think more of himself than he is. Man is clay; we are literally made of earth. Everything else we have aside from dirt (which itself was created by God) is given by God. God breathed life in to; God gave us authority over animals, God allows us to endure though we sought to rob God by taking the knowledge of good and evil. The highest goal of a Christian therefor is to be used for the purposes God has for us. They may hurt and not feel good to the body, but they are life to the soul.

2. Isaac Jones says:

God has knowledge, plans, and power over the future. God allows evil to come that His grace may also come. If God exterminated evil, then some that would be saved would not. God has the right to do whatever He wants with us because He created us; The potter has authority over the clay.

3. Isaac Jones says:

The good news is that although this world is full of suffering, there is rest after we pass away. The goal of this life is not to end trials or avoid tribulation, but to stand as Gods lights facing into the darkness and boldly declaring the king. Yes we die, but this is the price of salvation. To grasp life is death and to die is life.

4. Isaac Jones says:

I will obey the Lord and His commandments despite the cost to me. When I fail I will ask God to help me succeed; when I succeed I will ask God to guard me against failure. May that I could both live and lay my life for the Lord.

5. Isaac Jones says:

My God and Father,

You have my life; do with it as you will. You are great and mighty; your will endures forever. All you are is goodness and justice. Your mercy and glory pour out on a world that does not perceive you. May I be your instrument. Lord glorify yourself and lead the lost into your salvation. Forgive the foreigner and give piece to your people. Lead us to your salvation for your names sake. You are gracious and mighty; you make way for the generations to know you and live. Amat I know you and feast on your truth rather than the flesh. Thank you for the water and the blood, and the Spirit; amen.

6. Patrick Shen says:

Jesus knew what needed to do. He resolved to walk that path regardless of what it cost him. He knew because he was connected to the father.

7. Patrick Shen says:

The Gospel gives us hope. This world is filled with sadness and woe. But we have a hope in Jesus that surpasses this. It is all part of a larger plan.

8. Patrick Shen says:

No matter what we have or don’t have we must give our hearts to the Lord. The most precious of what we have must be given to him in thanks giving. It is all his.

9. Patrick Shen says:

Good question. I think these passages carry a lot of complex ideas. I’m not super sure of how to respond other than bowing my head, bending my knees and lifting my hands.

10. Patrick Shen says: