I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life

from the Lent 2016 reading plan

John 13:31-14:7, Acts 17:22-31, Psalm 1:1-6

This is part of a 10-day series on the person of Christ in the 2016 Lent study.

Easter is more than an event. It is an accomplishment.

Jesus cried out from the cross, “It is finished” (John 19:30). But what did He mean? What was finished?

The answer lies in today’s reading, which includes perhaps one of the most well-known verses in the Bible: “Jesus told him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me’” (John 14:6).

Just before Jesus makes this statement, He tells His disciples that He is going to prepare a place for them. He will bring His disciples to the Father, and He will be there with them too. Then He tells them, “You know the way.” This, of course, confuses them because there were no living witnesses to what the journey to God looked like beyond the grave.

Nevertheless, Jesus tells them, “I am the way.”
The way to what? To reconciliation with God.

“I am the truth,” He adds.
The truth about what? About how that reconciliation happens.

“I am the life,” He concludes.
What life? The life reconciliation with God produces—rebirth from a state of spiritual deadness (Eph 2:1) and new life in the presence of God forever.

As the Way, Jesus is telling us that a journey must be taken—from our broken and sinful lives to eternal peace in the presence of God.

This is more than a journey of learning to think and act differently. Unless something is done for us and to us, to make us worthy to stand in the presence of a Holy God, we can’t get there from here.

As the Truth, Jesus says, “Believe in God; believe also in me” (John 14:1). He is the revelation of how our reconciliation with God happens. His way—living perfectly in our place, dying our place, taking our sin upon Himself, paying its wage, and defeating the grave—is the only true way to be reconciled to God.

As the Life, Jesus is telling us what reconciliation with God produces—the peace we were made for since the foundation of the world. We were made for a life of eternal peace in the presence of our Creator. This is what Jesus’ reconciliation accomplishes.

As Easter approaches, consider the beauty of what Jesus is saying here: anyone can come to God at any time and be reconciled to Him through faith in Christ. There is a way. A true way. A true way that leads to life. It is not ours to go out and find—the Way has come to us. The Truth about the Way is written in a Book, and it tells us that the redeeming work we so desperately need has been done. It is finished.

At Easter, we remember why Jesus came—to make the way to true life by way of a cross and an empty tomb.

Do you know the Way?

Written By Russ Ramsey

10 thoughts on "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life"

1. Isaac Jones says:

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life to the father. The way to reconciliation, the truth of the path, and the life redeemed by God. God sent His Son to reconcile with humanity by way of the elect.We could not do what Jesus did, only God could. God has come to man to lead man along he proper paths to Himself out of the mercy of His character.

2. Isaac Jones says:

Man needs to believe. We need to trust God or all is lost and worthless. This is a thing to fear, yet Christ is a place of hope.

3. Isaac Jones says:

God most high, thank you for teaching me today in your Word. Thank You for loving me and pursuing me. I do not deserve You. I did not earn You, but You gave yourself anyway. Thank You for your sacrifice. You are the best that anyone could ever hope for and You are real. May all the nations and people of the Earth acknowledge You; amen.

4. Isaac Jones says:

Jesus is the only way. Jesus is the only truth. Jesus is the only life. If anyone denies Christ, He is denying God; there is no other who can take away the sin of man, and there is not other way or name by which we must be saved. If we trust in Jesus, then we are not abandoned; God will lead those who have faith in Him along the right paths, and those people will forever be secure in their salvation. Do not think that we are “better” than anyone else. Like Peter we are prone to extremes. Like Peter we are unfaithful and rejectors of God, but He forgives us. He still leaves open the path.

5. Isaac Jones says:

Repent from my sins and trust in Christ. I am a Christian, but to continue to look in faith and walk in the obedience of faith is the journey of every Christian. I will not abandon the hope I have in Christ by the grace of God and the Mercy of the Helper in my soul. I will intercede by the Spirit that I not be left to sin and shame. I will trust that I will walk the path of God by the power of God through the will of God.

6. Daniel says:

We cannot find that way in our humanity; it must come to us. This Way seeks us out.

7. Daniel says:

God has prepared a way for reconciliation.

8. Daniel says:

The Way finds us; it is God, desperately loving us in the midst of our sin and vast departures from Him.

9. Daniel says:

I know the Way; all I must do is allow This Way to come into my life and direct my steps.

10. Daniel says:

Lord, lead me on This Way;
    to show This Way to others. Amen.