I am the Bread of Life

from the Lent 2016 reading plan

John 6:35, 6:48, Luke 22:14-20, Exodus 16:1-36

This is part of a 10-day series on the person of Christ in the 2016 Lent study.

Some days I’m so busy I make it to mid-afternoon and my stomach starts growling, and I realize I missed lunch. I simply forgot to eat. At this point I have to decide whether to grab a quick bite and probably ruin my appetite for dinner, or suffer hunger pangs for a few more hours until eating. Inevitably I choose the first because being hungry is miserable and makes everything harder. When my energy runs low, concentrating is difficult and I get irritable.

In Exodus 16, the people of Israel were wandering in the wilderness, moving slowly away from captivity in Egypt and toward the Promised Land. There were many thousands of them and not enough food in those desolate areas to support them, so they began to complain to their leaders and God. I complain when I miss lunch, but these people were at risk of starving.

But God provided. He sent them manna, miraculous bread that appeared each morning to meet their needs. God saw their hunger and gave them food.

While we all know the feeling of physical hunger, and some have dealt with severe hunger, we each live with another sort of hunger too—one that is much worse and much harder to fill. No sandwich or granola bar can even make dent in this deep desire. We hunger for life—for rich, full, real life. This is why we strive so hard for so many things – sex, money, status, relationships, possessions, experiences. We want to satiate our hunger for life.

God sent something better than manna to meet this need in us. He sent Christ, the Bread of Life. His provision of manna for Israel in the wilderness was just a precursor to His provision of Jesus for a world in a spiritual famine.

Jesus said “I am the Bread of Life. No one who comes to Me will ever be hungry” (John 6:35). What an odd and potentially creepy statement! Are we to devour Christ? In a sense, yes.

Jesus is the Word of God—the Word made flesh, the Word made alive. That means we can feast on His Word— His perfect sustenance to provide life like we’ve never known. No more pangs. No more seeking fullness in things that are, at best, like cotton candy – sweet to the taste, but gone instantly and sickening when consumed in quantity.

In Jesus’ last meal with His disciples, when He handed them the bread, He told them, “This is my body, do this in remembrance of me” (Luke 22:19). When we come together for communion, we are dining on real bread and partaking of the Bread of Life by remembering Christ—how He lived and died and rose to fill us.

Whether by opening our Bibles or coming to His communion table with our brothers and sisters in Christ, let us come to the Bread of Life and feast on His Word.

written by Barnabas Piper

10 thoughts on "I am the Bread of Life"

1. Isaac Jones says:

God is what our souls most long for. He can do what no one else can; by making manna and bringing quail He showed His control over nature. He sustains us and provides life for us. God knows our grumbling a and hears our complaints.

2. Isaac Jones says:

Though man sins God delivers. God sustains us. Literally no one would be born if God wished to stop it. People would cease drawing breath if God gave no more air. Nothing holds of decay save for God; He literally upholds the world on His shoulders and sustains the universe. God gave us truth the lead us to Him. He is everywhere sustaining all things, yet people’s hearts draw far from Him. God in His love died for us raising up, and paying for our wretchedness, so we might understand through our blindness. God gives in abundance and mercy.

3. Isaac Jones says:

I will respond by asking God to free me from my folly and self doubt. I will ask to be rid of my faithlessness and the sins of my heart.

4. Isaac Jones says:

Man is evil. Man disobeys God by grumbling, hoarding, and trying to work to gain more. Man is an insatiable sin factory of deceit and dishonor. Man does not trust God nor does he look to God. Man desires the known for all its falsity rather than accept the unknown.

5. Isaac Jones says:

Father,
    Free me! I am a sinner in a body of sin living in a world of sin. I watch all I knew decay before me. God I am a wretched creature of death. Now though, I must speak as a son of life. You have remade me. You but I diamond in a latrine. Now that diamond is transforming the latrine. I am impatient God; I desire not to wait or languish. Transform me and transform this world and garner for yourself all glory! Fix the brokenness and heal the land. Forgive my faithlessness Father, and lead me to faithfulness. May I be your faithful steward all the days of my life; amen.

6. Daniel says:

Man hungers for life, and cannot fulfill it with earthly pleasures and desires.

7. Daniel says:

I will dedicate to myself to meeting all needs through Christ; when I sense a desire or hunger, I will surrender it to Christ.

8. Daniel says:

God provides for us and meets our needs; not only in physical hunger, but in hunger for life.

9. Daniel says:

God’s fulfillment exists in His word; His community; His teachings, worship, and love; these are the true sustainers of our lives.

10. Daniel says:

Lord, you know well the voids and hungers in my spirit; fill them with you, that I may be sent forth to love and disciple others, and point the way to you, their true source of life. Amen.