God’s Rescue

Jonah 1:11-17, Matthew 12:38-41

This is part of a 7-day series on Jonah in the Lent 2016 reading plan.

My Dad raised me on a diet of the King James Version of the Bible and classic westerns. Sure, there are moments when those two approaches to living collide, but on the whole I’m grateful for that combination. One of the convergent points between the two is confession (KJV) or being man enough to ‘fess up when you break the code (westerns).

The season of Lent is one of introspection, looking at your life—not your wife’s or your neighbor’s, but yours and yours alone for places where sin is lurking. This is not a comfortable practice, and that’s exactly why many men don’t do it. It is easier to just keep on moving.

I had a falling out with a good friend a little over a decade ago. And I just kept on moving. I had some nudges this past December that it was time to ‘fess up, own my part in the debacle, and take a step toward reconciliation, whatever that might look like. I sent him a note: “I’m sorry for hurting you and your family, and I ask you to forgive me.” Comfortable? No, not even a decade later. But good? Yes, not in a now-everything’s-all-tied-up-with-a-red-bow sorta way, but in the sense of a firm hope that a broken fence might just be mended, and who knows what God might do after that?

We’re pretty hard on old Jonah, probably because we see so much of ourselves in him. But I have to give him credit for owning up to his part in the trouble that fueled the storm that threatened not only his life but the lives of the sailors surrounding him. He stepped forward to say, “On account of me this great storm has come upon you.” And he gets even more credit for proposing a way to fix the problem – “Pick me up and throw me into the sea” (Jonah 1:12).

Comfortable? Not by a long shot. But good? Yes. The people of Nineveh needed to hear a message of salvation, and Jonah was the man appointed to deliver it.

I’ve always loved that God gave Jonah some rein in this story, the freedom to choose to confess, to grow up just a little more, and become the man God wanted him to be. Jonah’s confession, via a whale of a story, led to the rescue of many souls in Nineveh. And it also led to a rescue in Jonah’s life – he was saved from himself and his horribly narrow vision of the wonderfully wide mercies of God.

Take a look at your life. ‘Fess up where needed. It’s never easy, but it’s always good. Who knows what God will do then?

Written By John Blase

24 thoughts on "God’s Rescue"

1. Isaac Jones says:

God is greater than Jonah. God uses the physical world to point to Himself. He uses the physical to point to the spiritual. God uses what He has done to further clarify what He did do and what He is doing again.

2. Isaac Jones says:

I will respond by looking at how I have prejudices like Jonah against those whom God loves. I will seek to love those the world will not or cannot.

3. Isaac Jones says:

Man needs to repent before God and recognize who He is. Man needs to look for God, because man will surely find Him and His ways.

4. Isaac Jones says:

God wants to be found. God gives Himself to us. God gives us signed to help us understand Him, the truth of all.

5. Isaac Jones says:

Heavenly Father,
    Humble my heart to love sinners like me. Free me from sin to see the poor with your eyes. Help me discern poor in finances and poor in spirit. God teach me your ways and your love through the sanctification of the Holy Spirit, reading of the Word, prayer, and fasting. May I obey and honor you with my time and finances. Thank you God for saving me and help me to have a salvation mindset for others; amen.

6. Bryce says:

God is very very patient with us sinners. He could’ve easily just crushed Jonah for his disobedience, but instead he chose to tenderly lead and guide him towards repentance. I saw the same thing with Cain last night. We are treated very tenderly by God when we are undeserving.

7. Bryce says:

They talked in the devotional about how Jonah confessed but I saw it a different way. I saw that he didn’t admit it until the lot fell on him. He could’ve confessed sooner but he didn’t until the Lord exposed him.

8. Bryce says:

I learned that God’s love for us is patient enough to correct us when we just deserve to be destroyed. Jesus absorbing that wrath for me on the cross is the greatest thing anyone’s ever done for me, especially considering how disobedient I am.

9. Bryce says:

I will respond by thanking God for patiently allowing me to repent rather than destroying me for my sin. Thank you Lord.

10. Brian Becker says:

God gives us freedom to choose –
    But those choices carry consequences. Yet in his unrelenting love, even in our unfaithfulness – he is always faithful to rescue and redeem.

11. Brian Becker says:

It’s good news – everywhere…even in our worst moment – especially in our worst moment – God rescues and saves out of his goodness and grace.

12. Brian Becker says:

We run. Yet we are heard by God. When we confess our sins he is faithful to forgive us.

13. Brian Becker says:

Stop running. Slow down – consider my directions, habits and distractions…and call upon the one who calms seas and hears my cry.

14. Brian Becker says:

Thank you Jesus, for identifying with my storm. Though you identify with humanity, you chose no sin – yet my storm is because of my sin. Thank you for the cross. I confess my need for you, my desire for you. Holy Spirit awaken my heart and mind to your voice.

15. Adam H says:

Man cannot expect to have a strong relationship with God without realizing our faults and sins in our lives and our desperate need for a Savior who is greater.

16. Adam H says:

By seeking to repent of my sins.

17. Adam H says:

God expects us to seek forgiveness and to repent. He is perfect and holy and we must seek holiness in order to be closer to Him.

18. Adam H says:

Because of the Gospel we no longer have to give sacrifices in order to be forgiven. Christ was the final and ultimate sacrifice and when we ask forgiveness God forgives.

19. Adam H says:

I will pray that God may reveal my sins to me and may lead me towards repentance.

20. Patrick Shen says:

God requires confession and repentance. It’s a process that we can’t run from.

21. Patrick Shen says:

We have to allow or selves to feel his reprimand. We can’t just runaway.

22. Patrick Shen says:

To not try to avoid the Lord with my fears.

23. Patrick Shen says:

God is faithful to forgive and reposition us for his will, even if we sidetrack.

24. Patrick Shen says:

Lord I confess and repent…