Rest

from the Lent 2016 reading plan

Psalm 51:16-17

Take this day to catch up, sit in God’s presence, and read and reflect on the scripture below.

You do not want a sacrifice, or I would give it;
You are not pleased with a burnt offering.
The sacrifice pleasing to God is a broken spirit.
God, You will not despise a broken and humbled heart.
-Psalm 51:16-17 HCSB

27 thoughts on "Rest"

1. Jon C. says:

Continue to read the word.

2. Jon C. says:

That it is for teaching and instruction, it provides insight to God’s desires of us.

3. Jon C. says:

We need to get off our high horse and ask for help and healing and humble ourselves and come to the cross.

4. Jon C. says:

He loves imperfect and broken people. Anyone can sacrifice but God doesn’t want that. God is patient.

5. Adam Hassler says:

We have to rest in him to be able to remember our brokenness. Sitting in the quiet gives us time to remember His love and how we can love others more.

6. Adam Hassler says:

God desires more of myself than my hard work. Experiencing his presence means being present with him.

7. Adam Hassler says:

Teach myself how to sit and rest with him to seek my own brokenness.

8. Adam Hassler says:

Humility and brokenness are some of the first steps towards redemption and renewal.

9. Adam Hassler says:

Heavenly Father you are wonderful,
    You are excellent, You are Marvelous. We worship you Lord because you’re wonderful and you help us sing Your songs.

10. Steele Fredricksen says:

I will put down all of my fronts, and let the Holy Spirit move in me. I will listen and not do anything I think is earning my salvation. I will wait for God to respond and sink in me, not looking at myself for ways to be better or please the Lord more.

11. Steele Fredricksen says:

Man is always looking for a way to prove themselves and be better. We feel like we need to earn our way to God, and that we don’t deserve what he has given us, or like it isn’t already available.

12. Steele Fredricksen says:

God knows we are enough as He made us. He has given us our lives and wants nothing more than who He has made us as.

13. Steele Fredricksen says:

The Gospel is going to work in all of us as God intended. We need to hold onto the truth that God has sacrificed his son for everyone, and people need not try harder or prove themselves. This needs to be preached to all, and IS for everyone.

14. Steele Fredricksen says:

I pray that God will change my heart. I beg for transformation, and want nothing more than to let myself go. I don’t want to live with this burden of having to do everything on my own. I NEED you Lord. I am broken. I have nothing. I love and accept you with how you accept me. I know I am nothing alone, and complete in You.

15. Daniel says:

There are no prerequisites; God will take us as we are; Salvation is ours, if we will just embrace it with a humbled heart.

16. Daniel says:

God does not require, from us, things. He does not want us to provide sacrifices of animals. Or money. Or bargains. Or perfection. Or any of the other things we might attempt to give him. He wants our HEART. He wants us.

17. Daniel says:

We are broken. That is enough; for God wants us just as we are.

18. Daniel says:

I will give my heart; nothing more is required.

19. Daniel says:

Lord, help me to walk in the truth of this passage. I have labores to give many things you did not ask for or require. Help me to daily surrender what you want most.

20. Nathaniel Wentink says:

Thank you for your sacrifice so that I do not have to make them. You have loved me so well and I have done so poorly reciprocating that love.

21. Nathaniel Wentink says:

Gods redeeming love is stronger and sweeter than anything we can simulate in this life.

22. Isaac Jones says:

Man must have a broken and contrite heart before the Lord, for the Lord will despise the one who does not claim contrition and brokenness. Our hearts need to be broken for that is how we sacrifice before the lord in our contrition.

23. Isaac Jones says:

This teaches me that the gospel can not be earned or achieved, it is not a pyramid scheme or career advancement. There is only one level of salvation and that is the level of a broken and contrite heart.

24. Isaac Jones says:

I will respond in honesty with brokenness and contrition. I will lay myself before God knowing that He will not despise me despite how utterly broken I truly am, because I am contrite.

25. Isaac Jones says:

God will never ever despise someone who has a broken as contrite heart for Him. The man who says “I was broken over my son and turned to God, but He rejected me” does not exist and will never exist. All those who are broken and contrite before the Lord are accepted by the Lord. God does not want sacrifices, he only wants the broken and contrite heart.

26. Isaac Jones says:

God,
    Please give me knowledge of my brokenness. Reveal my wicked heart to my consciousness and may I fall at your feet contrite over all my multitude of sin. Lord please uphold your statutes not to despise me and forgive me for my wickedness. Please lead me on the paths of sanctification by the salvation offered through your son; Amen.

27. Like!! Really appreciate you sharing this blog post.Really thank you! Keep writing.