Melchizedek’s Blessing

from the Genesis reading plan

Genesis 13:5-18, Genesis 14:1-24, Hebrews 7:1-22

There are a number of Old Testament stories that play like a movie in my head, and they have been playing in HD ever since I was a young pastor’s kid. Some because of the violence. In others, it’s the supernatural work of God that captures my attention. And in others, the heroic feats of men and women are what cast the drama.

So it’s a little weird that the story of Abram and Lot dividing up the land is so fixed in my memory. Maybe it’s because I saw a watercolor of the scene in one of the picture Bibles I owned. I don’t know. But I tell you, I can see Abram and Lot standing on a rocky precipice, looking in one direction at a beautiful land and then looking in the other direction at an inhospitable wilderness.

Their people can’t get along, so they have to split up and go separate ways. Now, if I am the one in this situation, I’m thinking about the view or about being close to running water so I can enjoy the sound in the quiet moments of the day. But these men are not thinking about those things. They are thinking about their livestock and their livelihood. A decision has to be made: who is going to take the land that doesn’t look all that great?

In the movie in my head, there is a very pregnant pause. And then Abram says, “You choose.”

What kind of person says “you choose,” knowing the other will choose the nicer land and leave you with the undesirable portion? I know my own heart well enough to know how hard that would have been. I would like to think I would done what Abram did. But I fear I’d have pulled rank and told Lot I was the one to whom the promises were made, and therefore I should have the good land.

But Abram did not do this.

Abram had no idea what was coming when he was left with what no one would freely choose for themselves. But he did have a promise made by God. He had the promise of Chapter 12, that God would bless him and take care of him. And I cannot help but think his strength to let Lot choose came from his faith in that promise.

There are seasons in our lives when we have been dealt the leftovers and have no idea what is coming. Maybe it’s sickness. Or loneliness. Maybe you’ve taken a miserable job so you can provide for your family. A loved one is dying. And you don’t know what is coming.

All you have is a promise.

And the promise we have is much fuller than what Abram had. Abram had Melchizedek for his priest, but we have Jesus Christ, the guarantee of a better covenant (Hebrews 7:22), the eternal priest who is seated at the right hand of God. Abram’s promise was covered in shadows. We get the promise in vivid HD detail, in the work of Jesus on our behalf.

When the proverbial good land has been denied to us and we do not know what is coming, we know we have forgiveness of our sin, and we also have God as a loving Father— all because of the cross. We have the promise that, even if the land we are walking through is the “valley of the shadow of death,” He will be with us. Not even death can separate us from Him.

Written by Matthew B. Redmond

16 thoughts on "Melchizedek’s Blessing"

1. Howard K says:

God is gracious in all that he has and offers up to us especially when we are humble. The example where Abram allowing Lot to pick which land to take when the selected was a prime example.

2. Howard K says:

God will always be with us protecting us from evil. As God gave up His SON on the cross shows his live for us and we need to trust in Him all times even when it feels like He is not there because He is there.

3. Howard K says:

O Lord I am thankful for all you have done for me and I am sorry for falling short and sinning against you and my brothers and sisters in Christ. Grant me strength and determination to live by your Will and stay focused on you during my life. I ask this in your Son’s name Jesus Christ.

4. Howard K says:

Asking God for strength and humility in all that I do. I can be consumed with my daily rituals and make the awareness on God secondary. I will start making my awareness of God’s presence and be still with Him

5. Jeremy Hill says:

Man is selfish and greedy when God isn’t with them.

6. Jeremy Hill says:

God always has a plan.

7. Jeremy Hill says:

The Gospel saves greedy, selfish man like me.

8. Nathan says:

We often make choices that seem better fit for us. When the situation looks bad, then we tend to think its not from God. God puts these things in our lives for a reason.

9. Nathan says:

God is always there in the midst of our pain or struggles. He is faithful and just.

10. Nathan says:

Lord Jesus, guide me through the wilderness. Let my heart be open to your ways. Even though I walk through the valley of death I choose to not be afraid. Help me be your light in these moments. Thank you Jesus. Amen.

11. Nathan says:

I won’t be afraid to choose the wilderness. I won’t choose to fail in the valley of the shadow of death.

12. Felix says:

While our situations can/will change, God remains in the midst of it all bringing His will for our lives to past. God remains the same in a ever changing world. But He will continue to prove us wrong when we think otherwise. In order to strengthen our faith, that we attempt to hold onto with our feeble hearts.

13. Felix says:

Because of Jesus the veil that separated man and God was torn and the two reconciled. No longer would we need priests as mediators, no longer would the priesthood only be for some and not others, but to all. The priesthood would return to being passed down from father to son, as Melchizedek was a foreshadowing of the coming eternal high priest, we would see Jesus restore that to all humanity as well. Children of God this priesthood as been passed down to you as well, we ought to reflect our high priest and continue to raise up others in the ways of the Lord. Melchizedek was there at the right time for Abram to bless him and keep him on track and now Jesus for us, and we for others.

14. Felix says:

Learn to trust God even when the fear of change comes to mind.

15. Felix says:

God help me to not fear change and put others before myself.

16. Felix says:

As men of God we should be selfless as Abram. He was able to put others first, knowing it could cost him his comfort and possibly more. But his faith was not in men and their ability to make the right choices. His faith was on the promise and words of God, which are uncompromisable. As children of faith we are the result of that promise and have been promised so much more since. So how can we living in the present time be so hesitant or cowardly in doing good for others because it might cost us?