The Flood & The Promise

from the Genesis reading plan

Genesis 6:1-22, Genesis 7:1-24, Genesis 8:1-22, Romans 3:10-25

That was fast.

In a few short chapters, the crowning achievement of God’s creation moved from the glad description of being “made in the image of God” (Genesis 1:26) to the frightening statement that “every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually” (Genesis 6:5). Sadly, that was just the beginning. The situation had gotten so bad that God actually expressed sorrow for making man and determined to send a worldwide flood to cleanse the earth of corruption and wash away the memory of mankind.

Now, don’t be fooled into thinking that Genesis 6-8 is recounting some particularly nasty breed of humans that filtered onto the scene in the time of the flood. No, these were normal, broken, and desperately wicked people like you and me (Jeremiah 17:9, Romans 3:11-12). Truth is, the flood narrative is where we get an unfiltered, no-holds-barred glimpse into the darkness of the human heart.

If that weren’t unsettling enough, we also learn in the story of the flood that God refuses to wink at our sin or sweep our wickedness under a rug. He will pour out His holy wrath against ungodliness and execute the full measure of His righteous justice against sin. Though patiently calling us to return to Him, wishing that none would perish but that all would come to eternal life (2 Peter 3:9), there comes a time when God’s patience with our sin gives way to God’s judgment for our sin.

Thankfully, God was not quite ready to throw in the towel on man. He had a plan for a new start with a man named Noah. The flood came and blotted out every living thing except Noah, his family, and the animals on the ark. They alone weathered the storm and found safe passage through the waves until they came to rest on the mountains of Ararat. After offering a sacrifice, God extended the mantle of Adam to Noah—to be fruitful, multiply, and subdue the earth. A new day had dawned.

Sadly, this new day wouldn’t last long. As you’ll find out soon enough in the unfolding story of Genesis, Noah was not the answer to the problem of sin. Yet, within the flood story, we get the outline of the answer: all men are sinners and God will punish sin, but God will also provide a way of escape for those who will put their trust in Him. This is a pattern that we’ll see time and again throughout the Scripture, culminating in the person and work of Jesus Christ.

Water can kill, but it can also cleanse. In the gospel, it happens to do both. Jesus goes under the waves of Father’s wrath, experiencing the flood of judgment for sin, that we might receive the washing away of our sins and live in the cleansing power of the gospel forever.

Written by Nate Shurden

49 thoughts on "The Flood & The Promise"

1. Howard K says:

God is forgiving! We are man need to understand this clearly but not take advantage or abuse this notion. We need to start living as Jesus Christ did and by God’s will

2. Howard K says:

Gospel shows me that God’s love for man is so great and he will never stop loving is. We as man need to try more and more to live by God’s Will and not by our will and put our trust in Jesus Christ that he will lead us on the right path to a good live and ultimate salvation.

3. Howard K says:

Man is selfish and full of sin. Thank you God for continually having faith that we will eventually get your your amazing love as you saved us through Noah first and then ultimately saving by giving up your only Son on the cross to save us selfish humans from eternal damnation. Thank you God

4. Howard K says:

Get up every day Thanking God for giving a new day to start anew. I am a broken man and all I can do is ask for forgiveness and thank God for giving me another chance to change my course of my broken life to an un broken life with Jesus Christ.

5. Howard K says:

God I am sorry for the sins I have caused against you and my brothers and sisters in Christ. I thank you God for giving me another chance today to start over and forget about the regrets of yesterday and look to you now to direct me on the right path by living by you Will LORD and not by my will. I ask this by the name of you Son Jesus Christ, Amen.

6. Jared Dills says:

God is a Holy God that will not tolerate sin. Yet, he is a merciful God that provides hope and provision for our wickedness.

7. Jared Dills says:

Draw closer to the Lord than ever before. Walking with him, I can live out his great plan for my life.

8. Jared Dills says:

“The door was shut”, just as God secured is provision for Noah, he has secured our eternal hope as well through Jesus.
    I am unworthy. It is only through his Grace that I come to Jesus. Because of his greatness, I’m secure in Jesus.

9. Jared Dills says:

We are wicked and helplessly need a savior.

10. Jared Dills says:

Father, I surrender all to you. Thank you for providing Jesus and saving me from my corruption.
    I want to walk with you and please you.

11. Jeremy Hill says:

Man is sin. We have no right to even have the chance to be saved. God loves us though and gives us hope in His Son.

12. Jeremy Hill says:

God was going to kill all man but decided to keep Noah and his family because they found favor in the eyes of the Lord. God is loving but hates sin.

13. Jeremy Hill says:

The Gospel is meant to save sinful man who deserves death.

14. Nathan says:

Our evil ways have such an impact on our lives and the people that live around us lives. Evil will always be there but we are free from it because of his son Jesus.

15. Nathan says:

God promised to never destroy the earth and its inhabitants again. It shows how he didn’t give up on us and how he started new.

16. Andrew Kerry says:

God is the only perfect being and he still loves us.

17. Andrew Kerry says:

We will never be perfect, we will always fall short.

18. Andrew Kerry says:

Strive to live my life in a way that is pleasing to God but when I mess up, repent and trust that God’s grace means I don’t need to live in condemnation.

19. Andrew Kerry says:

Grace is freely available so we can enter into a relationship with the perfect father. No matter what we’ve done, it is washed away in Jesus’s blood!

20. Andrew Kerry says:

Father,
    Thank you that regardless of how much we screw up, you will always love us! Thank you that it’s not anything that we can earn but that it is freely given. I’m sorry for the times where I fall short but I thank you for your grace. Help me to repent and turn away and live in the truth that I am forgiven.

Amen

21. Jesse Harada says:

God hates evil, but loves us more than His hatred for wickedness. He is a just and fair God; He is a loving redeeming God.

22. Jesse Harada says:

I will respond by making a offering to God everyday, to say ” I am Yours, and though my ways are wicked, I will strive to follow You and Your grace.”

23. Jesse Harada says:

Man is gross. We aren’t pretty, or clean. We are dark on our own. But in Christ, we are allowed to be washed clean and made pure in God’s sight once again.

24. Jesse Harada says:

The gospel shows us the wrath of God, and His never ending love. It shows us just how magnificent the God we serve is, and that when we are undeserving of a second chance, He still grants it to us. He gives us life.

25. Jesse Harada says:

I will pray for a reminder of His love and grace when I am falling short of my calling and wisdom to know what is life and is not. I will pray for strength and guidance to actively chose God everyday.

26. Kristian Cartwright says:

Repent, praise God, spread the Word.

27. Kristian Cartwright says:

The only cure for my sin problem is through Jesus.

28. Kristian Cartwright says:

God is a just God. He requires us to pay the consequences of our sin. Sin is not tolerated in his sight. God is also a loving God and wishes for none to perish so he provided a way to cleanse us from our unrighteousness.

29. Kristian Cartwright says:

We are wicked and evil from birth. We know right from wrong as God has made clear to us his law.

30. Felix says:

That God in His mercy once again saved the human race but now once and for all. No longer will men be swept away by floods, plagues, and wars. For one man took it all upon His shoulders, in the pockets of flesh missing, in his veins where his blood flowed out. Men did not deserve any of the chances of rescue we were given. But the gospel story makes it possible for me to recognize that fact and in turn love Him even more. For He is good all the time.

31. Felix says:

what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him? – Psalm 8:4

Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh – Genesis 6:3

This teaches me that God is serious about sin. The sins of the wicked and the sins of the righteous. Though one He resolves with judgement and the other with discipline, no sin goes unpunished by Him. But He is good in all ways, for He knows we are but flesh, we are weak, we are stubborn, we are fools. But like a good father He desires to raise us up to be everything He made us to be. For He knows what awaits for the one who desires to be everything He is not.

“Patience doesn’t mean you continue to tolerate.”

32. Felix says:

Lord help me to remain holy in a unholy world.

33. Felix says:

All men are under the same merciful, wrathful, just, loving, holy G-d. Those who fear Him will live while the others perish, sadly. But none receive special treatment, only what is promised. If indeed they desire all G-d has to offer. Men are without excuse.

Then Peter began to speak: “I now truly understand that G-d does not show favoritism, but welcomes those from every nation who fear Him and do what is right – Acts 19:34-35

34. Felix says:

By striving to live upright when others around me choose not to. Not to escape wrath but because He is worthy.

35. Nathaniel Wentink says:

God has made a covenant with Noah and all mankind that he will never flood the earth again. His love for us is relieving in our everyday struggle to not sin.

36. Nathaniel Wentink says:

Man is corrupt from birth, the only saving factor is Jesus and His redeeming love.

37. Nathaniel Wentink says:

God sent Noah to do as He had said and cleanse the earth so that His glory can rein once again.

38. Nathaniel Wentink says:

I will thank God for showing me love when I least deserve it. I will then pass that love onto others that do not yet know.

39. Nathaniel Wentink says:

Thank you God for loving us. We are so far from you, yet you love us still. Thank you for your mercy in our everyday walks and thank you for giving us opportunities to spread the good news.

40. Clayton Godfrey says:

This teaches me that man is sinful. But man has a chance and opportunity to walk with God and turn from our wicked ways

41. Clayton Godfrey says:

This teaches me that God saw we are sinful and evil but gave us a second chance by sending his son to take our place and our penalty

42. Clayton Godfrey says:

This teaches me that the gospel is simple. But the gospel is indescribable. It shows that while we are weak, God stepped up for US. The fact that he loves US while we were sinners. And still are sinners.

43. Clayton Godfrey says:

I want to respond by following Jesus closer and spending time with him everyday.

44. Clayton Godfrey says:

Lord forgive me for being attracted to wicked things. I want to turn away from them and pursue the things and the ways God has for me and intends for me.

45. Joseph says:

God is a righteous God who wants to use the best of humanity. The only way to do that now is to save them by His Son making us righteous and His Spirit descending upon us.

46. Joseph says:

Man has a sinful nature and we need a savior. We always have needed a savior until Jesus came.

47. Joseph says:

The Gospel is necessary for mankind’s future because we create the future and God saves our spirits and our hearts.

48. Joseph says:

I️ will respond by calling upon the Lord to thank him and then ask him to continually change my heart.

49. Joseph says:

I️ will pray with faith that God is the one who can change me no matter what. He is a God of grace, Love, and hope for humanity.