Born Is The King

from the Advent 2015: Born Is The King reading plan

Isaiah 9:2-7, Luke 2:1-7

Between the angels, the pregnancy, the wedding, and the census, the theme of the past year for Joseph and Mary seemed to have been about listening to the story of who they were. They weren’t children anymore, but they weren’t quite grownups either. They were somewhere between who they used to be and who they were becoming, and now, the moment had come which would change not only their lives, but the entire course of history.

Pain stabbed at her. Then it happened again, worse this time. And again.

Adam and Eve took the forbidden fruit and one of the consequences of that act of rebellion shot through Mary from head to toe, every few minutes now.

Eventually, as if cresting a ridge, her labor gave way to delivery, and her groaning gave way to the sound of the cries of little lungs drawing in the breath of earth for the first time.

To the wonder of the humble man and relief of the weary woman, they beheld Him who, though He was the Son of God, was every bit a fragile, tiny baby.

Together, Mary and her husband cleaned their child and wrapped His little arms and legs in strips of cloth to keep Him warm. After they laid Him in a manger and finally exhaled, they gave Him the name Jesus. And both remembered why.

The incarnation of the Savior of the world could have come to pass any number of ways. But God, in His infinite wisdom, chose this. He chose this couple for this night in this shelter. This boy, the angel told them, would be the heir to David’s throne. He would be their Wonderful Counselor, their Mighty God, their Everlasting Father, their Prince of Peace. The government would be upon His shoulders (Isaiah 9:2-7).

But there was nothing particularly complex or regal about this moment in the stable outside Bethlehem. There were no heralds in the streets announcing the birth of the King. By all appearances, it was a humble, simple affair, seemingly incidental to everything else going on in David’s town that night. But it wasn’t incidental. It had been God’s plan from the beginning: this King of Kings was “chosen before the foundation of the world” (1 Peter 1:20).

There, on the edge of Bethlehem, a child was born. A Son was given. It was the most significant moment in the history of the world.

The zeal of the Lord Almighty had accomplished this (Isaiah 9:7).

Thanks be to God.

written by Russ Ramsey
adapted from Behold the Lamb of God: An Advent Narrative

10 thoughts on "Born Is The King"

1. Howard K says:

If man can be still and listen God can do amazing things through us. As Joseph stepped up and did not run away when Mary was pregnant and it was not his baby he staid faithful to God and help make one of the most incredible moments in mankind come to reality.

2. Howard K says:

God could have chosen anyway to save us from sin and he chose sending His only Son Jesus Christ. God’s love for us non words could explain and i am eternally thankful

3. Howard K says:

I will continue to read the Gospel everyday and draw myself closer and closer to God and always ask for forgiveness of my sins because I am imperfect in every way and need God’s strength to help keep me on the right path as in tend to fall short more than I like to it say. And Always be thankful in my soul, heart, mind and body for all God has and will do for me in the days of my life.

4. Howard K says:

Helps understand over and over how Jesus Christ is our only Savior and only through Him will we be saved from sin and eternal damnation. Jesus Christ is the only way we can take and by ready the Gospel we learn that every day more and more by filling ourselves with the Word of God.

5. Howard K says:

God thank you for your love and grace on us. Your love for us is so great as you have up your on Son on the cross to die for our sins and become our Savior. I can not compare to your Son in anyways but help me to be more like him every day of my life. I want to live by your Will and not by my will so give me power and strength and wisdom and determination to stay on the right path which is so hard for me.
    I ask this in your Son’s name Jesus Christ. Amen

6. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Man was looking for someone to come riding on a white horse as King.

7. Jeffrey Messenger says:

God knew and planned Jesus’ coming and the humble glory of it before the foundation of the world.

8. Jeffrey Messenger says:

In awe of the humble beauty that our Savior came.

9. Jeffrey Messenger says:

God, out of His great love for us, sent His son at the perfect time in the most humble way to show who He is and how much He loves us.

10. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Thank You, Lord, for coming so humbly, yet so beautifully and powerfully.