Jesus Is King

from the Advent 2015: Born Is The King reading plan

Isaiah 11:1-10, Matthew 2:1-12

“When you find Him,” Herod told the visitors, “come back and tell me where He is. I have a little something of my own I want to give Him” (Matthew 2:8, paraphrased).

After hearing him out, the Magi left for Bethlehem. It wasn’t long before their familiar star rose again, leading them like a shepherd leads its sheep to a house on the outskirts of town.

When they found the King, it was no wonder He was nothing more than a murmur in Jerusalem. They entered the place where He lay and beheld a child in the arms of a young woman, practically still a girl.

There was no crown or majesty that would attract them to Him, no miracle they could see, no signs of greatness. Just a woman and her child. But there was something about that moment that only the woman, her husband, the Magi, and the child knew—something that bent the knees of those scholars to the posture of worship when they saw Him. This child was a King.

One of the Magi moved forward and produced a purse of gold, laying it at the child’s feet. Another came with a flask of myrrh, then another with a box of frankincense. Unaware that they were funding a hasty trip to Egypt necessitated by Herod’s paranoia, they gave these gifts for no other reason than to honor the one born King of the Jews.

He wasn’t even their king. Israel’s God was not their people’s god. And yet, they had come because the thought of a God of mercy with healing in His wings must have awakened in them a desire to be close to the one through whom that healing would flow. They followed the star, and after countless miles of sojourn, they found the King.

It was a quite a feat. They would rest well.

But that night as they drifted into a deep sleep of satisfaction, an angel, unfamiliar to them but well-known to Mary, stepped into their dreams and painted for them the bloody truth of who Herod really was and what he meant to do to this child. The angel warned them to take another route home (Matthew 2:12).

Herod’s motives were murderous. History would remember him not only dripping with the blood of his own wives and sons, but with the blood of countless others, mostly boys under the age of two. But not this boy king. Herod would not take His life (John 10:18).

The Magi departed for home in secret, avoiding the area around Jerusalem.

written by Russ Ramsey
adapted from Behold the Lamb of God: An Advent Narrative

14 thoughts on "Jesus Is King"

1. Howard K says:

Asking God for forgiveness from all the sins I have done against God and my brothers and sisters in Christ. Also thanking God for saving me from sin and allowing me to be one of his spiritual sons.

2. Howard K says:

True testament of what was in store for us and how God decided to to start the the process of how Jesus was going to save us from eternal damnation by this ever beautiful time when Jesus was born.

3. Howard K says:

God gave up his only Son to save us from sin and be our Savior. The love God has for us words can not describe and how he is able to protect Jesus from Herod I feel he wants to protect us from evil the same way. We just need to be still and Listen.

4. Howard K says:

Man is full of sin and when those men sent from Herod found Jesus they could have gone back to Herod and told him where Jesus was but they didn’t because they had faith and listen to the angel that came in their sleep. This shows great faith in man side to go away from Herod and not tell him where Jesus was.

5. Howard K says:

God thank you for saving me from sin by giving up you Son to be born, die and resurrect to be seated at your right hand. Jesus Christ is our Savior and I can not thank you enough for your Grace you have shown me when I do not deserve it. Thank you God for you favor. In Your Son’s Name Jesus Christ. Amen.

6. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Jesus is King. He is merciful and He heals those who come to Him.

7. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Jesus provides the healing and mercy that our souls at the deepest root long for and desire.

8. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Praise God for His mercies that are new every morning and for the healing that You bring my soul.

9. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Man, as the magi, have the longing desire of mercy and healing.

10. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Lord, teach me to be humble to know when You are speaking to me and calling me to come to You to care for my burdens and restore me. Thank You for being so good.

11. Jonathan Newman says:

Christ is the only real and lasting King. Herod was just a man, and violent powerful as he was, he couldn’t stop the mission of God even in the form of a baby. He is the King that attracts people to himself, even those who make no sense to seek him and be drawn to him. Jesus didn’t appear with superficial splendor or gimmicks. He simply embodied the truth and the word of God, demonstrating humility and providing healing.

12. Jonathan Newman says:

Mankind may try to stop what God wants to do, but no objective of God can be thwarted.

13. Jonathan Newman says:

In the rebellion of our hearts, God showed us himself as King Jesus who lived with us and was the most approachable person in the world. He reigns justly and benevolently and has the power to set our souls and our hearts right if we give him access to our lives.

14. Jonathan Newman says:

Giving Jesus access to my life on a moment by moment basis because he is a good king, better than anyone who would rule my heart. He is worth worshipping and obeying and following and trusting.