Jesus Is The True & Better Job

Job 1:1-22, 1 Peter 2:21-25, 1 Peter 3:18

2013 and 2014 were brutal years for our family. In 2013 we replaced two transmissions. We wrestled with testing my daughter for Aspergers. Every appliance needed repair. My father, after 12 years of declining health, went on to glory ahead of us. And then a year later, my mom joined him.

And then there was my job. Even when I was successful and my sales numbers were good, I was having panic attacks. I could not sleep.

We had a year when we prayed for daily bread. Literally. If the end of the day came and we got no bad news, we breathed a sigh of relief. And then we wondered what was coming next. Every day looked like defeat.

My Scriptural refuge during that time was the story of Job. Don’t misunderstand me; I know he lost far more than we did. We lived in relative comfort compared to him. But we caught a whiff of the defeat that makes you wonder what is coming next and why is it coming.

We also had it easier than Job in another way: Job did not know what was going on, while we can see behind the curtain. He did not realize God had given Satan permission to take away so much. Satan thought Job would curse God and lose his faith. But God knew His man would be able to say “though He slay me, I will trust in Him” (13:15). You could say Job passed the test.

Even after all the devastating reports of what had happened to his family and possessions, there was other news Job was hanging onto: “But I know my living Redeemer, and He will stand on the dust at last” (19:25).

Sometimes the only news you have is the “good news.”

Like Job, Jesus suffered deeply throughout His life. Satan also tested Jesus and, as with Job, Jesus trusted His heavenly Father and persevered. Both stories tell us we are not alone in suffering. Both stories prove the trustworthiness of God. And you can almost hear a reverse echo in Job of Jesus saying from the cross, “My God. My God. Why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46).

But there is also a stark difference between the story of Job and the story of Jesus. Jesus suffered on our behalf and for our redemption. Indeed, Jesus’ life of suffering and His death on a cross are the objects of faith in our own times of suffering. And if the cross of Jesus is what we are to place our hope in, then the cross was Job’s hope too, even though it was veiled.

When it looks like defeat is all you have, the cross of Christ is the hope that proves otherwise. Though He slay us, we have reason to trust our Redeemer; because of His resurrection, we know death is not the end.

Life is sure to hand us what looks like defeat. It looked like defeat for Job. And it certainly looked like defeat for Jesus. But we know that what looked like defeat for Jesus was nothing short of victory for us.

written by Matthew B. Redmond

15 thoughts on "Jesus Is The True & Better Job"

1. Howard K says:

As long as we turn to the Word of God through all our trial and tribulations we will find love and peace in our life even at the darkest times of our life as long as we just believe. We have to Believe in the Gospel

2. Howard K says:

Sometimes lessons from God are not so easy and I think when we struggle with these lessons He wants us to turn to Him for security and help and trust knowing that He will bring us out of these lessons even better when than we started.

3. Howard K says:

Trust in the Lord at all times even in the darkest times of my life. The Lord will not fail me and will bring me out a stronger man than before.

4. Howard K says:

Man can be amazing in life. as long as we set God as our number one priority in our live and NOT allow the world to control our lives. Jesus paid an amazing price for us by the crucifixion and we must always be thankful.

5. Howard K says:

God I know you are always there even when I feel alone and scared of the things that happening to me and my family. Help me to trust that you will bring me out of this time of suffering me and my family are going through. You are the only one I trust because everything else has failed me. I surrender all that I have and know to you Lord God Almighty.

6. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Thankful that we have a Redeemer who has been tested in every way and been through the hardest times anyone can ever imagine, yet still praises the Father because He is worthy.

7. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Jesus bore our suffering and the shame that we deserved to bear like Job and died on a tree so we would not need to.

8. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Man and our flesh is weak, but only the Spirit is able and strong. We can go through nothing without Jesus.

9. Jeffrey Messenger says:

God is forever with us and will never leave us nor forsake us in times of trouble.

10. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Lord, first teach me not to become greedy, covetous, envious, and prideful in the things I have; they are all gifts from You. Also, teach my heart to truly believe with unwavering confidence that I should count all things as loss for the sake of knowing You. Thank you for Your sacrifice and the price You paid.

11. Jonathan Newman says:

Man often suffers and does not see purpose in it. Rarely do we look at suffering that we or others experience and think “I totally understand.” We usually ask “why me?” Or “why this?” Left to our own devices, we have no hope in suffering and no ability to secure our own future.

12. Jonathan Newman says:

He is worthy of trust and we can stand on the solid ground that no matter what happens he will not abandon our souls, but our hope is with him in heaven. His purposes are usually unclear, but his character is unchanging and we can put our security in that.

13. Jonathan Newman says:

Though job suffered great losses and affliction, he trusted in God’s character and the eternal hope he had in Him beyond this mortal life. Jesus went further and suffered separation from the Father, but in doing so he paved the way to defeating the power of death, sin, and Satan in us. Though he would’ve appeared defeated by human standards at the time, he was just positioning himself for the greatest checkmate and sacrificial rescue mission of all time.

14. Jonathan Newman says:

Not putting my stock into my circumstances or comfort but in the unchanging character of God and the fact that he rescued me from darkness and death.