Jesus Is the True & Better Passover Lamb

Exodus 12:1-28, John 1:29, 1 Peter 1:18-19, 1 Corinthians 5:7-8

Do you display a cross anywhere to identify yourself as a Christian? When I was growing up, my parents had one hanging in our dining room. I have a painting of one in my own dining room now. The cross is the most common symbol of Christianity around the world. Crosses come in wood, gold, clay, plastic, and tattoo green. But what is this symbol? It is an executioner’s tool. Christians display an apparatus for capital punishment as a decoration to identify with our faith. And though it seems grotesque, the symbol does capture the essence of our faith.

For Israelite children growing up in the Old Testament era, the Passover Lamb would have been as familiar a symbol of their faith as the cross is to Christians today—and its origin is just as somber. Some of the kids in those days would have grown close to the lambs they kept. The Passover Lamb, of the rare spotless variety, would have been regarded as extra special. If it were my children, they would have given the lamb a name.

But the time would come when the family would slaughter that spotless lamb during their holy feast of Passover. I imagine the children felt the sting.

During that meal the children were supposed to ask the elders in the room why they ate unleavened bread and bitter herbs, and why they spread the blood of the Passover Lamb on the doorposts of their houses. The adults, then, were supposed to recount the story of how God delivered His people from their slavery in Egypt. The unleavened bread symbolized the haste with which they left, the bitter herbs prompted them to remember that those were hard times, and the blood on the doorpost reminded them how the angel of death passed over the homes of the people of Israel as the last great plague swept through Egypt, loosening Pharaoh’s grip on the children of Israel.

God’s people continued to observe Passover all the way up to and beyond the life of Jesus. He celebrated it every year of His life (Luke 2:24). The blood of the lamb was an ongoing reminder of how God delivered His people from tyranny and oppression and brought them into the Promised Land.

But that first Passover dealt primarily with their external bondage in Egypt. Although God delivered His people from being slaves to another nation, they remained in bondage to sin and needed to be delivered from the tyranny of their own rebellious hearts. We all need this.

It was Passover during the Last Supper when Jesus gathered His disciples in the upper room. Together they went through the Passover celebration, but Jesus did not give them the Passover Lamb because He knew He would become the true, better, and lasting Passover Lamb within a matter of hours.

The book of Hebrews presents Jesus as the Priest who became the sacrifice. When He had made His offering to the Lord on our behalf, He sat down at the right hand of God. There were no chairs in the temple for the priests, which symbolized that the priests’ work was ongoing. But when our High Priest sat down at the right hand of God, He did so because the sacrifice He had offered—His own spotless life—was the perfect, once-and-for-all sacrifice that would finally and eternally deliver God’s people from their internal, spiritual bondage.

Jesus frees us from ever having to make ourselves perfect before God. Because of His blood, death passes over us, and because of His resurrection, life is ours forever. Worship Jesus—the Priest who became the sacrifice, the Prophet who was the Word of God, and the King who became the servant of all.

written by Russ Ramsey

32 thoughts on "Jesus Is the True & Better Passover Lamb"

1. Howard K says:

Man is a sinner and we need to try to be more like God’s Son Jesus Christ and our life will be more and more bondage free

2. Howard K says:

The meaning of Passover and the significance it has on the history of Christianity.

3. Howard K says:

Try to help my family understand the meaning of this time of the year and how God freeing His people from Egypt by Passover and the relationship with the mean of the Gospel of Jesus Christ

4. Howard K says:

God cares for his people dearly so if we follow his instructions on times of trail He will make sure He protects and cares of us.

5. Howard K says:

Lord Jesus thank you for saving us from sin and giving us ever lasting life. I ask that you give me strength in my life to be bold like you were for us.

6. Jeffrey Messenger says:

God is sovereign in His sending of the angel of death during Passover. Also, that He points everything to His son, in which Jesus fulfills everything that each lesson is lacking.

7. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Praise be to God for His matchless gift in Jesus!

8. Jeffrey Messenger says:

We need the Lamb as atonement for our sins, and it is because we have Him that we are able to belong to God and be passed over.

9. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Jesus is the great high priest who finished the work needed and sat down at His Father’s right hand, giving us a hope to cling to and a Savior to long for that paid for all our sins.

10. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Father, thank you for sending Your son as the atoning sacrifice and great high priest that saves us from all of our sin and teaches us to run after You. We long for Your coming, and I pray that You would remind me of this truth daily as I seek to know and follow You the rest of my days.

11. Chad says:

God provides the ultimate Passover Lamb in Jesus, who was without blame and sacrificed on a cross for the sins of the world. The blood of Jesus cleanses us from all unrighteousness that we may come before God to know Him in purity.

12. Chad says:

In remembrance of what the Lord Jesus Christ has done. Celebrate His holy sacrifice in my life and be reminded of His sacrificial love for us. I too will take up my cross daily- to die to self.

13. Chad says:

Man is in desperate need of a Passover Lamb. Man is worthy of being visited by death. Man is also very, very forgetful- prone to not remember who God is or what He has done.

14. Chad says:

God wants people to draw near to them. He is not stopped or hindered by our sin, but He has an eternal plan because of it. God provides ways for His people to know Him.

15. Chad says:

Dear Lord, I pray that I will embrace the greater Passover Lamb in your Son Jesus Christ. Let me confess sin in bringing it to light and repenting; that the blood of Christ may purify my of all my unrighteousness. Just as your people had done during the time of the Passover, let me take every moment in celebration and remembrance of the sacrifice your Son. Thank you for the gift of the greater Passover Lamb; that in your wisdom and sovereignty you did not leave us to die and be visited by the bringer of death- but instead you offered a substitute on our behalf that we may come to draw near to you and experience the joy it is to live a life glorifying to you. May you grant me the wisdom, endurance, and Holy Spirit to take up my cross daily for your Mission. I love you Lord. May my life be marked by glorifying you by enjoying you forever. In your Son’s name Jesus. Amen.

16. Taylor Homeyer says:

The Gospel, as I’ve noticed from the study, is paralleled very well from start to finish. Jesus completes all of the prophecies and lessons that occurred in the Old Testament. It is so much more than then Lord blessing the “Biblical Giants” of the Old Testament, but He watched them fail in their sinfulness THEN He had a planned out long before to redeem everyone through His Son. How neat is that?

17. Taylor Homeyer says:

Point my eyes to the Lord.

18. Taylor Homeyer says:

Jesus does prove to be a better Passover Lamb. His sacrifice for us was complete and righteous.

19. James M says:

That the Passover feast will be reborn in our generation to redeem the Christmas holiday and transform it into a holy season of gratitude for Christ’s sacrifice.

20. James M says:

We are saved from the law of old. But that does not diminish our responsibility to learn the significance of Christ’s sacrifice by studying scripture.

21. James M says:

He has already saved us. We don’t need to kill an animal to be a substitute for the death we’ve earned. We need only remember and celebrate with somber reverence of the final Passover lamb, Jesus.

22. Jerod Theobald says:

In order to receive the love and protection of God (and others), man must be willing to make sacrifices and do what is asked of him. Man cannot be saved by being selfish. Man cannot be saved by ignoring his calling.

23. Jonathan Newman says:

Jesus became the ultimate Passover lamb by whom we are spared perishing and being banished forever from God’s presence. He came to deliver us from our own corrupt hearts and make them new so we want God and can be with him forever.

24. Jonathan Newman says:

Loving others wholeheartedly and spreading joy out of thankfulness and the abundance of God’s grace that I have access to in Jesus.

25. Jonathan Newman says:

We are unable to make ourselves spotless to be able to enter into God’s presence and relationship. We are born into bondage to our own sinful nature that reigns over us like a tyrant.

26. Jonathan Newman says:

God is powerful and benevolent to rescue his people and provide a way out from perishing.

27. Josh Burns says:

He is the good and perfect sacrifice for sin. He is the only one who can wipe it clean through the death of His Son Jesus.

28. Josh Burns says:

I need a sacrifice to cover my sins. Plain and simple. I can’t cover it on my own. I need Him.

29. Josh Burns says:

I must be reminded of the Gospel each and every day. It is the reason that I am here today. And it is the reason I will live every day after today.

30. Josh Burns says:

In awe of the sacrifice made by Jesus.

31. Josh Burns says:

God, break me over my sin today. Make me aware of it, and bring me to my knees before you. Only you can cleanse me of my sin. May I seek your Son’s face today.