The Second Sunday of Advent

from the Advent 2015: Born Is The King reading plan

Isaiah 9:6-7

Colossians 3:16 says, “Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.”

Over the course of Advent, we are memorizing Isaiah 9:6-7 in four parts, so that we might sing with gratitude in our hearts to our Savior King. This week we are focusing on memorizing the last part of verse 6.

And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
– Isaiah 9:6b NIV

Save the lock screen below to your phone as a reminder throughout the week, and rejoice in the One who is our Prince of Peace.

19 thoughts on "The Second Sunday of Advent"

1. Jonathan Newman says:

God is peace. Whatever means he needs to do to go about making peace between himself and man and between people, he will do it and has done it.

2. Jonathan Newman says:

We are prone to injustice towards each other and do a poor job at ruling ourselves and each other, which is why we need Jesus, our prince of peace.

3. Jonathan Newman says:

The kingdom of God is the opposite of every human empire. It is a kingdom of humility, self-sacrifice, and love. All power is used for good and the glory of God.

4. Jordan Benesh says:

Pray for need, for hope, for love. Share the gospel with others, reflect on its power.

5. Jordan Benesh says:

He is mighty and everlasting.

6. Jordan Benesh says:

God extends grace through the death of his son Jesus.

7. Jordan Benesh says:

We need a savior; we are only mighty and everlasting through Christ.

8. Jordan Benesh says:

For need, for continued hope and nearness to God.

9. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Everything that God is and everything that satisfies what we need to connect us to Him, Jesus is.

10. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Jesus, help me to see that You are everything I need and everything that the deepest longings and parts of my heart desires. Let me treasure You greater than anything else in this world, and may I be disciplined in my life to serve You.

11. Jeffrey Messenger says:

We are in need of a Counselor, Peacemaker, a good and true Father.

12. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Praise God for the peace that was brought to us through His son, and the wonderful Savior that He is.

13. Jeffrey Messenger says:

Jesus came to be and is everything we need, from our Savior and Counselor to our Peacemaker.

14. Taylor Homeyer says:

The Lord provides such great peace. I’m reminded of a verse in Philippians that says something along the lines of “and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” No other power besides Jesus can provide such glorious and powerful hope and peace.

15. Blake MacNelly says:

We are blessed. I try to find words that aren’t so “Christian” so that around my family and friends who aren’t saved, they won’t be annoyed or turned off or believe I’m faking it. But honestly, in this case, blessed is a great word. We are beyond blessed. We are provided for in every way. Man is in need of nothing when provided for with and through Jesus. We are capable of complete contentment. When we ignore this, we can become greedy and look to other sources of contentment, which can turn to greed and lust and idolizations etc.

The gospel is so important in our day to day. Paul says in Colossians to dwell on the gospel richly, and that it is the tool that we use to teach and admonish others and show gratitude to God. It’s vital. We can’t do anything successfully that involves helping others or for God without the gospel.

16. Blake MacNelly says:

The gospel is central to everything. The gospel began long ago, before the cross, it was in place to be accomplished. The gospel is a beautiful love story. It’s an amazing epic that demonstrates love beyond love and all that is good and right and worthy. It’s pretty amazing. No ordinary human could write something so profound.

17. Blake MacNelly says:

The unity between Jesus and God is evident in the passage. Jesus is Everlasting Father, Mighty God. There is a clear connection.

It’s really cool to see the value that Jesus and God place on each other. There is a great love and respect. Those titles for one another are derived from themselves..gifts to each other as not only titles but truths and actions.

God is not only gifting these things to Jesus, but He is gifting Jesus to us with all of those truths included. Not only does He kill Jesus and resurrect Him for our sins, He also gives us Jesus as our Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. It speaks to the trinity and the relationship between the three, God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

18. Blake MacNelly says:

I will attempt to memorize the next Portion of the passage and dwell on it.

I will do my best to be real with my family this week and hope that it leads to an opportunity to share the gospel.

I will be honest and faithful to God this week in my heart and attitude and in my devotional time with Him.

19. Blake MacNelly says:

For the ways I want to respond.

For my family and friends.