O Come, Light of the World

Genesis 1:1-5, John 1:1-5, 9-10, 8:12, 12:35-36, Colossians 1:15-20, 1 Peter 1:20-21

Light is such a gift. It reveals. It protects. It points the way. It cheers the heart. I write these words just after Daylight Saving Time turned all our clocks back. It gets dark now at 5:00pm where I live. In fact, for the next couple months, most of each day will be shrouded in darkness. If this year is anything like the others, I will feel that darkness in my heart from time to time.

We were not meant to walk in darkness. During the Advent season, we remember that we don’t have to. The light has come. To us.

John opens his Gospel echoing the first verses of Genesis. Both places in Scripture are about the advent of something new. Genesis tells us that in the beginning, God created the world and used used His Word to do it. John tells us that in the beginning, that Word was Christ. This is a pretty radical thing to say, because John is telling us not only that Jesus was present for the creation of the world, but that He was actively involved.

When John talks of Jesus as the light of the world (John 8:12), he means for us to connect what he’s saying to the creation account. As both the Word and the Light, Jesus overcomes the darkness of evil. He illuminates the will and grace of God through His life, death, and resurrection.

His is not stationary light we must travel to in order to find. His is a light that takes up residence in His people (John 1:4). We walk in His light. He accompanies us. We do not walk in darkness, but have the light of life (John 8:12). The light of Christ does not give way like the light of winter days, nor do we need to wait idly for its return. The light of Christ is in His people. We carry it with us. We spread it.

One of my favorite moments of the entire year comes during our church’s Christmas Eve service, when “Silent Night” begins to play, the house lights dim, and we begin to pass the flame from the Christ candle throughout the sanctuary. It begins slowly, but soon the light begins to dance on the faces of every man, woman, and child as the entire room is illuminated from the light that started with that single candle.

That light and all the lights that traditionally adorn this season serve to remind us that we were not meant for darkness. And the good news of the Advent season is that because of the coming of Christ, we do not have to walk in darkness. In fact, anyone who follows Him will never walk in darkness. His light dwells in us. Thanks be to God.

Written by Russ Ramsey

15 thoughts on "O Come, Light of the World"

1. Derik says:

I was not designed for darkness, I was designed to walk, live and to be light in a word trapped in darkness.
    How can I possibly imagine that when I’m walking in darkness (sin and pleasures of this life) that I’ll find satisfaction?
    I’ll never be satisfied in darkness as I was designed to be fully satisfied walking in the light.
    What a season to remember that light is life and its were I can really find satisfaction, everything out of light is darkness and Jesus give me the empowerment to defeat darkness and walk in the light, to be light and be truly delight.

2. Todd Gross says:

The Christmas lights are everywhere. He is the Light of the World. Hanukkah began yesterday along with Advent which is the Festival of Lights. NO coincidence there. Lord you told me this year to put my SELF up on the shelf so I’m asking you to reveal just what that means this year! I’ll do it, but please show me The Way, The Truth, The Life.

3. Chris Braca says:

In looking at the narrative in Genesis in relation to Advent and our salvation, it’s important to remember that God’s story of redemption did not occur haphazardly. It wasn’t as if the Fall occurred and God wasn’t prepared and suddenly had to come up with a solution. His plan of salvation was there from before the foundations of creation.

4. Justin Harger says:

I love the moment where Russ comments that we were not made to walk in darkness. That was never the intent – literally from day one. We often hear that we don’t have to walk in darkness, or we have the choice to follow the light. Both are true of course, but I draw comfort from the fact that choice or not, it is God’s desire for us to walk with Him in the light. Always has. Always will.

5. Billy Coward says:

Thankful for the light in my life. Like the devotional states, the night can be depressing sometimes. It gets dark so early, and it effects my mood. It’s a good reminder that Christ’s light is forever in and around us. It never goes out. I’m covered in light, even in the darkest of times. Darkness will always succumb to the light. We are never alone. He goes before us and will never leave us.

6. Kevin says:

Day 2: Wow. A powerful start to this advent season. One I can relate to as well! The darkness is so annoying right now outside. And ya true that we can start to feel it in our hearts. But man, Gods light is within us. It’s powerful and not still it’s moving throughout the world through Christ followers like us. Are you being that light? I love how all the passages today talk about God as the beginning. He started all of this, created all of us, and gave us something to have hope for. Be the light! So stoked for this season and this study with you. ⚒

7. Jace Martinez says:

I remember the first time a pastor told me that darkness is nothing on its own, it is only the absence of something. This makes sense when you consider God to be a light, because our natural state is to be in him, and anything else is just the absence of him.

8. Graham says:

The Light of Jesus is inside us all. We do not walk in darkness; we spread Him and His light. It is our calling to walk in the light.

9. Andrew Rigney says:

The presence of light gives clarity and understanding. It allows us to not only see, but also experience beauty in our world. Rather than groping around the darkness, avoiding things that might cause us harm, the light of Christ gives confidence. It helps us see things as they really are, opening our eyes to a fuller reality.

10. Jason says:

It’s a wonder to think that with the Light of Christ in us, Jesus can say “Let there be light” in a dark place, circumstance, or in a person’s heart and that place can be illuminated. I wish I truly lived this out every day. Knowing that I have this light inside me.

11. Andrew says:

As a child of God, I have this great beacon of light inside of me; guiding me along my path. It reminds me of when a friend prophesied over me, declaring me a lighthouse and describing the lighthouse in immense detail. Only that afterwords to discover I just received a lighthouse which belong to my grandfather earlier that day.

Oh to be filled again with the Spirit as I was on that day with my community.

12. Cameron Portwood says:

I feel the darkness more prevalent at this time of the year. Especially this year. With finals around the corner, stress from work, planning a wedding, and the levels of anxiety I face on a day to day basis, it seems like that darkness is doing everything in its power to take over my life. Without the light of Jesus, I would be drowning in that darkness. This devotion was the perfect message for me at this moment. I need to open the windows and let His light completely fill my life and quit hiding away in this darkness.

13. Ben C says:

God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all. We can be rest assured that if we draw near to him, we won’t find a dark truths. We will only find freedom, peace and joy. Whatever dangers in our paths are exposed. John 8:12 reminds me that there is no fine prints to qualify for his light of Glory

14. Andrew P says:

For the first time ever, this is the first time I’ve considered Christmas starting at the Creation. I compare it to Jesus being the LIGHT of the World and Genesis 1:3 “And God said, “Let there be Light… and God saw that the Light was God and God separated the light from darkness”. I think the writer of Genesis is not only speaking of actual LIGHT but he is also talking about Jesus.

I could be way off here and it could just mean actually light. Russ Ramsey in his devotion talks about Silent Night because of the candlelight part of the Christmas Eve service. Not only is this also one of my favorite things about Christmas Eve, it also makes me cry when everyone holds the candles up and the entire room is lit. All this is from one flame. I also love his line that because of the coming of Christ, we do NOT have to walk in Darkness. We are not meant for darkness, we are meant to live in the LIGHT as he is in the light.

I’m very renewed by these words.

15. Joshua H. says:

Advent brings the light that lights our path.