The First Sunday of Advent

Micah 7:7

The O Antiphons, seven prayers based on biblical prophecies about Jesus, have been part of Advent worship in the Church since the Middle Ages. Traditionally, one antiphon is sung or prayed each night of the week leading up to Christmas Day. Each prayer begins by addressing Jesus with one of the titles used for Him in Scripture. When read in reverse, the first letters of these Latin titles spell ero cras, which means “Tomorrow, I will come.”

In this reading plan, we’ll pray through one or more of these antiphons each Sunday during the Advent season as a reminder of the longing Israel felt as they waited for the Messiah and the yearning we still feel today as we await Christ’s return.

O Wisdom, coming forth from the mouth of the Most High,
reaching from one end to the other,
mightily and sweetly ordering all things:
Come and teach us the way of prudence.

O Lord, and leader of the House of Israel,
who appeared to Moses in the fire of the burning bush
and gave him the law on Sinai:
Come and redeem us with an outstretched arm.

But I will look to the LORD;
I will wait for the God of my salvation.
My God will hear me.
—Micah 7:7

16 thoughts on "The First Sunday of Advent"

1. Jason says:

Put total hope and anticipation in Jesus because He is perfect and wise. He is worth looking to and hoping in. I should anticipate his work in my life today as well as anticipate his physical second coming.

2. Justin Harger says:

Unsettled. It keeps coming up. A theme for the last few months of my life. Today, I saw a glimmer of the truth He is beginning to reveal in me about this word. Israel was waiting for something for 400 years – a word, a vision, a man, anything. How unsettled they must have been. Now, 2000 years later, that same word can be used to describe my feelings, but in such a different way. Their yearning for a savior left them unsettled. Mine comes from the frustration of the already, not yet. The truth that I have the Holy Spirit dwelling within me, but I still yearn for Christ to come back and finish what he started. Where does that leave me now? As my friend and brother in Christ Elvis said to me, “We’re just getting started.” Let my prayer be around that – a reminder that I am just getting started. That unsettled is ok. God has been working in the unsettled since the dawn of time. Show me your way, Lord, that I may know your will and engage the unsettled for your glory.

3. Joey says:

The world in Micah’s day wasn’t so different from our world today. He said, “The godly has perished from the earth, and there is no one upright among mankind” (7:1). Even in the midst of unmitigated evil, Micah had the faith and the courage to say that he would wait for the God of his salvation. We look forward to the day of our redemption, when we will be with the Father in all His glory forevermore.

4. Sam H says:

I have been reading through Micah recently, and this prophet actually has a special place with me. Mostly because my sons name is Micah. Nonetheless, if I had a favorite prophet, it is him. He was truly in the midst of a fallen nation and cities. Jerusalem and Samaria were both honoring their Kings who worshipped pagan gods and engaged in unrighteous lifestyles. False prophets were in high demand, while those who were true were shunned. Nobody wanted to accept God’s word. Though that was mistake. God is a merciful god and had they heeded His words to them and repented, they would have been saved from their own sins. Now Micah, faithful to his god denounced their ways. He mourned for their sin. And these words poured from his mouth. I love seeing that faithfulness in the church. I think the song reflects exactly what Micah desires. How he wants to be with his God. I pray that over my self.

5. Derik says:

I will look & I will wait.
    Look to the right place or right one – Jesus
    Wait is a hard lesson but it comes naturally once my eyes are looking to the right one!

6. Colton Heiniger says:

What a great verse to start out this holiday season. Not only does it set our focus on the past coming of Christ and the reason we celebrate Christmas, but it reminds us of his second coming and turns our hope to the future as well. We should be living our lives with the anticipation of Christ’s return. I think it’s easy for me to forget Christ didn’t just come for us once to die on the cross, but he will return again for us some day!

7. Ryan says:

“My God will hear me.” – Lord, let me always be reminded that even if I don’t think you hear me, that you are working for me. Your plan is always better than mine and I will fail without you. I need you every second of every day. Don’t let me miss your plan for me while I am only looking for my own plan to be answered. Let this season of advent mark a new season of me, Lord, devoted to reading and living out your word.

8. Kevin Cox says:

Lord instruct me in how to live, how to follow you in every area of life. And thank you for redeeming me. Thank you for giving yourself that I might be redeemed. And bring me back to yourself. Continue this work in me, continue to restore me to you.

9. Todd Gross says:

It is so hard to wait. The culture teaches to get all we can as fast as we can, can all we can get and then sit on that can. Teach us Lord to wait upon You. Isaiah 43:19.

10. Joshua Lee says:

I love the idea of God mightily and sweetly ordering all things together in His order. Just reaffirms the almighty power of our Father. It’s not easy waiting for Him always. We want to move, we want to lead, we want to make change happen. We want to bring order from the chaos and yet still, God will fight for us.

11. Ted says:

Response day 1

12. Andrew P says:

This week in church, our pastor, Zach talked about spending time WITH God and used the analogy of his son wanting to hang out with his friends. They didn’t care where they were going or what they were doing, it was all about WHO was going. This stuck out to me because I don’t spend enough, of any, time with God during the week. This led me to buying this devotional. I want to spend this season spending more time with God.

This passage in Micah 7:7 is telling us to “Look to the Lord” and I think this goes wonderfully with being “WITH” God. I cannot be “WITH” God if at first I don’t “LOOK” to him.

I pray that this devotional will not only lead me to “LOOK” to him but will also allow me to be “WITH” him.

13. Ryan Miller says:

I need to intentionally work hard to make sure I am not to busy to eagerly anticipate the 2nd coming of Jesus!

14. Joshua H. says:

Advent is a time for renewal and patience away from the holiday rush.

15. Brent M says:

I’ve recently been reading exact translations of Christmas hymns. O Holy Night, as translated from the original French, stands high on the list of my favourites.
    Midnight, Christians, it is the solemn hour,
    When the God-man descended to us
    To erase the stain of original sin
    And to end the wrath of His Father.
    The entire world thrills with hope
    On this night that gives it a Savior.
    People kneel down, wait for your deliverance.
    Christmas, Christmas, here is the Redeemer,
    Christmas, Christmas, here is the Redeemer!

16. Alex Damaska says:

I am thankful that I have the hope, and the assurance of salvation. It is not a wish, it is a reality that follows me everyday. I wait and eagerly hope for the day when Christ shall redeem all things.