Not My People

from the Hosea reading plan

Hosea 2:1-13, Ezekiel 21:1-7

I wish I could remember which friend it was. I can’t. But that friend sent me a photocopied chapter from a book that was soon to be released. The pages came with very little commentary other than “dude, read this.” So I did, sitting on a sun-warmed boulder in the middle of a swollen river in Arkansas. And to this day I cannot read these verses from Hosea without thinking of the phrase Brent Curtis used to title those pages – “less-wild lovers.”

That chapter from The Sacred Romance talked of the many “lovers” we chase after in our lives, the addictions we flirt with and often allow to take root in our hearts. These addictions can range from alcohol to bible studies to exercise and everything in between. We’re convinced the promises these lovers make will fill the ache in our bones, and often they do for a season. But only for a season. Then we’re faced with the choice: double up and try harder, or search out for some new same-but-different thrill, or slowly resign ourselves to what Thoreau called the life of quiet desperation.

All the while the wildest of lovers waits. But God’s is not some impotent waiting. It is jealous.

“I will expose her lewdness.”
“I will ruin her vines.”
“I will punish her for the days she burned incense to the Baals.”

Not the kind of let’s-make-sure-everybody-feels-good-because-love-wins spirituality that’s so viral these days, is it? No, not by a long shot. But if we’re going to read Scripture in its fullness, then this is part of the picture of God’s love.

You don’t need a theology degree to understand the force behind these verses. It’s humblingly clear: “she…went after her lovers, but me she forgot” (Hosea 2:13). To chase other lovers is simply to forget God, the God who set aside His glory and wrapped Himself in flesh so that you and I might be called the sons and daughters of God. If you’ve ever loved someone with all you have and then that person left you for greener pastures, so to speak, then you know the feeling of being forgotten. It is the feeling of a broken heart.

While we chase the less-wild lovers, the wildest One waits. But these verses won’t allow us the excuse of “I didn’t know.” We do. Scripture is clear. God’s is not some impotent waiting. He is jealous. Jealous for our full affection.

Written By John Blase

9 thoughts on "Not My People"

1. Bob says:

God is jealous for me! How beautiful is that. You are a Great and Awesome God! I need to put God at the top of everything in my life.

2. Cody says:

To chase other lovers is to forget God. God, help me to be faithful to you. Thank you for your sacrificial love. I don’t deserve it. You’re worthy of my undivided adoration.

3. Josh says:

Lord,
    I look to You. I desire You. Help me to love you first, most–always.
    Amen

4. Mark Dill says:

We serve a God who shuts down. If we turn away from him he’ll let us know the benefits we are missing out on. Over and over again throughout scripture it is seen, the benefits of serving God, And the regrets of pushing him away for something else. In short, shouldn’t we as humans see the contrasts by now?

5. Rob says:

God loves me so much that he has a righteous, raging jealousy for my affection, attention, and worship!

6. Nick S says:

God,

Im thankful that you are so jealous for me, and for your people at large.
    Please Lord, draw your church closer to yourself. Help us to love you first, even if that means exposing our unfaithfulness and lewdness.

Do the same in my life. You are the best husband, the best father, the best God we could ever want. You are everything.

Amen

7. Kevin says:

Day 2: we chase things of this world all the time to try and fill the longing of love that never ends and is always there. We even turn to the lord to fill that, but then turn away from him and that hole comes back. C.S Lewis says that for every desire we have as humans, there is something to fulfill it. Hungry? Food. Thirsty? Water. Etc. this thirst and desire to have a never ending perfect love can only be proof that we aren’t meant to be here forever. That whole can only be filled all the time in the presence of God. Until we get there, we can try and chase after that, but be careful what we chase. God’s watching.

8. Chris says:

God help us to know you. As a father who is to be feared and awe-inspiring, yet loving and full of grace. Humble us before your power and glory that we may run after you instead of the things of this world.

9. Moose says:

God is a jealous God who loves us with all he is but we turn to false idols and addictions hoping to feel good or better, satisfied just as Gomer turned to other men instead of Hosea.