The Coming of the Holy Spirit

from the Acts of the Apostles reading plan

Acts 2:1-47, Joel 2:28-32, Psalm 16:8-11

When I was a child, I longed for Christmas Day more than anything else. This was, no doubt, partially on account of the expectation of opening the gifts my parents had so neatly wrapped and placed under the tree. But it was also because of the eager anticipation that it would snow on Christmas, spreading a white covering over everything outside our living room window. If that were not enough, our family would then spend the entire day together singing, reading, praying, and eating.

The combination of presents in our home, snow-covered fields outside, and the warmth of fellowship with loved ones made for a particularly wonderful—and now extremely nostalgic—experience. It was as if all the other days of the year built up to Christmas Day and existed to make it extraordinary.

In the same way, there was a special day in redemptive history on which God gave a combination of blessings to His people—the outpouring of the gift of the Spirit, the proclaiming of the gospel to the nations, and the new creation of a worshiping and fellowshipping community of believers. This was the day of Pentecost (Acts 2) and there was nothing like it in redemptive history.

Anyone reading the New Testament must draw the conclusion that these were no ordinary times. The powerful events accompanying the outpouring of the Holy Spirit—as had been promised by Jesus—was part of His once-for-all saving work. In a very real sense, Pentecost belongs as much to the accomplishment of redemption as does the death, burial, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus.

The coming of the Spirit on Pentecost signaled several important things about the saving work of Jesus Christ. The details of the day of Pentecost in the book of Acts are meant to draw the believer’s mind back to the Exodus, when God led His people out of Egypt by means of the cloudy pillar by day and fiery pillar by night.

At Pentecost, the Spirit came down on the people of God and appeared as tongues of fire. We might envision hundreds of tiny pillars of fire coming down and resting on each of the disciples. This was, of course, signaling that God had come down—by virtue of the redemption He had accomplished in Christ—in the person of the Spirit to lead the true Israel through the wilderness of this world. At Pentecost, the Spirit was coming down on the living stones of the new Temple that God had raised up with Christ.

The gift of tongues also carries our minds back to the early chapter of Scripture where God came down in judgment and scattered the people of earth, confusing their languages (Gen. 11:1-9). Now, having fulfilled all things in Christ, the Lord came down in mercy to unite those who heard the “wonderful works of God” in Christ, each in their own language (Acts 2:4-12).

The uniting work of the Spirit of God through the preaching of the gospel to the nations, in turn, brought about the knitting together of a new community of believers. Those who believed the gospel were all together and had everything in common. These new converts sat at the feet of those who had been taught by Jesus (Acts 2:40-47).

While there was something unique—a once-for-all-ness—about Pentecost, there is nothing unique about the ongoing work of Christ in giving His Spirit to His people for our redemption and sanctification, in sending His ministers to proclaim the gospel to the nations, or in His continuing to create a worshiping community of believers. This is the everydayness of the work of redemption.

Written By Nick Batzig

69 thoughts on "The Coming of the Holy Spirit"

1. Dan Ramsey says:

God has a plan and is in control!! No matter how much the disciples did not understand or screwed up God still gave the gift of the Holy Spirit and does this for all people who call on him. What an awesome God!

2. Dan Ramsey says:

I like how Mister Batzig brought up the Tower of Babel. God separated man to make it hard to communicate because man’s heart was in the wrong place. But when God is in the center of what man is doing things become less confused. We see a God centered event in Acts bringing people of many languages together. In my personal experiences I have seen God centered events do same thing (just not with the pillars of fire:)).

3. Dan Ramsey says:

Give up more control.

4. Dan Ramsey says:

It’s important! All of Gods word speaks of it.

5. Dan Ramsey says:

God, you’ve got this! Your an awesome and loving God and I thank you for the gift of the Holy Spirit. I pray that I quit trying to do things with my own strength and give it ALL to you.

6. Alejandro says:

Lord fill me with your spirit that I may glorify you in my life.

7. Alejandro says:

Prepare and ask for the Spirit to fill my life.

8. Chris Skinner says:

That God is continuing his work and upholding his promises by coming WITH us in the Church! He is not “up there” but he’s “right here.” The Son’s work of redeeming the nations continues.

9. Chris Skinner says:

It reminds me that God calls me and others with a purpose. He’s alive and he’s doing things. It also humbles me because I know that’s it’s only through Christ’s invitation in the Gospel that I am a part of this.

10. Chris Skinner says:

That we are invited to a great work and a great movement. It’s not just about “getting out of hell” but being a part of heaven’s mission on Earth. And we don’t do it on our own, but with God working through is by the Spirit!

11. Chris Skinner says:

I will pray for open eyes to see opportunities to encourage others with the Gospel. I will also give thanks and praise to the One who’s called me into this amazing story!

12. Dan says:

Man has a natural tendency to explain God’s miracles away. Doubters wanted to make sense of what happened at Pentecost so they explained God away by saying the Apostles were drunk. I wonder how often I explain God away.

13. Dan says:

God’s timetable for how he would bring his people back to himself is hard to grasp. If he gave visions to prophets hundreds of years before events happened I can only imagine what else he has set in motion.

14. Dan says:

I will ask God teach me how to let the Holy Spirit direct and guide my actions.

15. Dan says:

As believers we have the opportunity to invite the Holy Spirit to give us direction and show us how to do things that only God can do.

16. Dan says:

Father, you set these things in motion long ago. Your power is heard to imagine. I humbly ask for help to submit to the Holy Spirit’s wisdom and guidance. God help me to build you up instead of explaining you away. Thank you for loving me.

17. Thom says:

The gospel is for everyone. There isn’t a person on the planet that God doesn’t want it to reach. That the good news is to be spread in every language and we are the people to take it.

18. Thom says:

That he has a master plan and regardless of how imperfect we are he will use us to further his plan. I love the link between the ability to speak many languages with the spirit and the scattering of people in Genesis, I’d never thought of that before.

19. Thom says:

That being filled with the spirit is possible, that God uses man to progress his work in the world. That while we separate ourselves, God unites us back together

20. Mark says:

That God keeps his promises.

That God’s timing is not my timing.

21. Mark says:

That we are nothing without God.
    That if we align ourselves with God we can accomplish the impossible.

22. Mark says:

I will allow God to work in my life… In his timing.
    Not my will but your will.

Fill me with your spirit. Let me be a vessel of your Good works! Give me more of you.

23. Mark says:

The Gospel is powerful.
    It brings hope.
    It transforms.
    Jesus is enough!

24. Mark says:

Forgive me for the times I’ve doubted.
    Forgive me for the times I have not told others about you.

I want you to be the center of my life.

Create in me a clean heart that trusts in you, that’s full of your spirit and that will lead many more to you.

Let your anointing on me be something that attracts my children to always walk in your ways.

25. Jonathan says:

I will pray for faith to act in confidence and belief in Gods ability and desire to share the gospel with all peoples.

26. Jonathan says:

That he keeps his word in fulfilling prophesy. And that the gospel is for all people.

27. Jonathan says:

It is easier to assume ordinary explanations for the extraordinary than to believe that God is capable and willing to do the miraculous. It reminds me of C.S. Lewis’ “Last Battle” when the dwarves are unable to see the glory of the new country around them arguing that they are still trapped in the shed.

28. Jonathan says:

It is for all people. And nothing, even a language barrier can stop it.

29. Jonathan says:

Father God, give me confidence to act in faith that you want to see all peoples saved. Allow me to be a part of that plan and give me courage amen.

30. Isaac Jones says:

God is powerful and truthful. God is real. God moved at Pentecost and continues to move for his children. The things God promises come about.

31. Isaac Jones says:

The gospel is trustworthy and true. The power of God is so visible that even unbelievers can see it.

32. Isaac Jones says:

Man works as the hands of God through obedience, though God works in even greater ways than this. God even uses the unfaithful to assist his faithful. At Pentecost God was doing amazing things through those who were faithful and obedient even in these dark times.

33. Isaac Jones says:

I believe.

34. Isaac Jones says:

Lord,
    Help me be obedient in following the footsteps of the apostles. They have passed on the torch of the obedience of faith and upheld your revelation. May I uphold the torch of truth and the obedience of faith. May I spread the glory of your truth and the giving of your word to all the nations. Please use me for your will and purposes; amen.

35. Tommie says:

We are not perfect, and no mater how far we run from him, he is always wanting us back. Like Peter told the men who nailed Jesus’s to the cross to repent and be baptized, we need to do the same and hope for gods forgiveness. God is always seeking us, we need to stay strong in our faith and spread his word and slow the Holy Spirit to come into our life and use us to do gods work.

36. Tommie says:

I will respond by knowing I am a child of God and not be passive in situations where God can use me.

37. Tommie says:

I feel that this teaches me that gods works is real. Being filled with the Holy Spirit is so powerful. I like to think of it as is being little tools in God’s toolbox and he is working on the world through us. It’s up to us to stay faithful to him and obey his word. Gods promos of his spirit says that he is always with us and whoever calls on his name will be saved.

38. Tommie says:

Lord I want to thank you for all you have don’t for me. I pray for your forgiveness for the times I have turned my back to you and didn’t seek you first in some situations. I pray that you will grant me strength and knowledge in your work and I pray the Holy Spirit will come into my life and guide me in what you have for my life. I love you and thank you for all your grace and mercy in my life.
    Amen!

39. Martis Artis says:

Tell people about jesus and how he is coming back

40. Martis Artis says:

He still and will always have his hand out reaching for us

41. Martis Artis says:

Pray that god will help me reach many lives

42. Enoch says:

Hound of Heaven. Break down my walls. Burst through the barriers I have built. Soften my heart and as I listen more, may your voice be stronger. Help me to unify others under your banner. Help me to cross boundaries for your sake.

43. Nick Vemoa says:

If we hold close to God, we may eventually see his plan come together – but if not in our lifetime, our descendants will see the mighty power of God and his plan. People are still talking about this event millennia after it happened, not only is this a story of Pentecost it’s a historic event that has lasted throughout time.

44. Nick Vemoa says:

He is faithful to his promises, when he cast people all over the world with different tongues (languages) he had a plan to reveal his love for all mankind once the work on the cross was finished and we were saved once and for all. God’s promises are true and if we hold close to them, even when it seems pointless at the time – he will make it all work for good.

45. Nick Vemoa says:

By using the languages which I know (spoken and unspoken) to tell of the might of God to my friends/peers and really dig into the Gospels.

46. Nick Vemoa says:

There’s more to it than I know or think about. There’s so much more that I need to learn and be intentional in learning.

47. Nick Vemoa says:

With a heart ready to respond to the movement of God. I will pray with the faith that although I may not see the fruit of my labour in this life, I might see it in heaven.

48. Brandon says:

The day of Pentecost and the readings from this morning teach me that my God is a God who loves to give good gifts to His children.

This reminds me of the passage “Every good and every perfect gift comes down from the Father of Lights…”

49. Brandon says:

This teaches me that the Gospel is alive. It’s a living, moving, breathing being in the finished and perfect work of Jesus Christ.

The Ascension teaches us that the Spirit is a necessary and crucial part of the Gospel story.

50. Brandon says:

This teaches me that humanity needs the Holy Spirit. That in order to fellowship, walk daily in love, and to care for others deeply, we MUST have the help and guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Man is on an ever-revolving cycle of “I can do this myself-ness” and by becoming more “independent” we separate ourselves from the love and guidance of God.

Man must see the need of fellow shipping with the Creator, Sustainer, and Provider.

51. Justin Thomas says:

For God to continually mold my heart in His image. Use the hs to guide me in my walk

52. Justin Thomas says:

This is a crucial part to a relationship with God by having the Holy Spirit in our heart.

53. Justin Thomas says:

The HS is inside of us believers for a reason. We should take advantage of it.

54. Justin Thomas says:

God fulfilled His prophecy.

55. Kenstepi says:

I will keep my faith strong with God and resist the fall into temptation. I will go out and tell others about the Good News.

56. Jeremy Houf says:

God gave all believers His forever presence with the coming of the Holy Spirit.

57. Jeremy Houf says:

The Gospel is about the God Man Jesus Christ of Nazareth who lived the life we could not live and die the death we deserved. He conquered sin and death with the resurrection. It should be our priority to proclaim the Gospel to all peoples. We should wait for the Spirit to cut people to the heart to respond to the Gospel.

58. Sean Thelen says:

God made a way for us to always be near to Him by sending the Holy Spirit to live in us, actively giving us all courage and wisdom we need.

59. Sean Thelen says:

I will respond by praying for the Holy Spirit’s guidance as I seek to share the Gospel with my coworkers.

60. Sean Thelen says:

God does not only show Himself to each person, He chooses to use us to lead other people to Jesus so that we can have a repaired relationship with God.

61. Sean Thelen says:

We are instruments who God deeply loves and chooses to use for the good of everyone.

62. Andrew Morris says:

He won’t shy away from scaring us into reality. He will do whatever it takes for us to love him but he is gonna give us freedom

63. Andrew Morris says:

We’re horrible. We nailed him to a cross like a murderer. We just need to keep our eyes on him. Always

64. Andrew Morris says:

You can open it anytime and find exactly what your looking for.

65. Andrew Morris says:

Live like God gave me a second chance, because he did

66. Andrew Morris says:

Humbly

67. Brien says:

God’s redemptive work is not just for individuals, but rather for the purpose of community. God saves us into the Body of Christ and has given us His spirit to empower us to live united, in Him.

68. Brien says:

I am not only saved for my own sake, but for the sake of others. We are in need of the power that comes from His Spirit.

69. Brien says:

God help me to see the fullness of who you are and the size and scope of what your redemption and righteousness means.

Lead me by your Spirit into the empowering life that you have designed and intended for us all.

Thank you for not leaving us or forsaking us, but rather walking with us into the fullness of your life.