You Hem Me In

from the Psalms of Gratitude reading plan

Psalm 139:1-24

There will be times when you feel like God has forgotten you.

My wife and I recently had a really hard couple of years. We have dealt with a lot of loss, death, and transition in a short amount of time. I know what it feels like to be tempted to believe God has forgotten you.

In the first 12 verses of Psalm 139, we are reminded of truth that is stronger than our feelings. God is all-knowing, so He has not forgotten us.

The brokenness of this world does not mean God is blind. His silence does not mean He is absent. He is faithful and at work, even when His purpose is beyond what I am capable of seeing.

“Even the darkness is not dark to You,” the psalmist says in verse 12. Even in the depths of my sin and rebellion, or my trials and circumstances, He has not abandoned me. He is with me. God is close to me when I am walking with Him in the light of the gospel, and He is just as close when I have fallen, the stain of shame causing me to hide. I am never beyond His reach. Verse 10 assures us of this promise: “even there Your hand will lead me; Your right hand will hold onto me.”

Verses 13-18 of the Psalm tell us that our all-knowing, ever-present God is also the One who made us and gave us life. We are more than just a passing thought to Him.

Many times my circumstances eclipse my faith. When something happens that I didn’t see coming, I often cannot find purpose in it. This Scripture reminds me that the Lord has been at work from the very beginning. He made me for a purpose and He is at work, even when I may not see how or understand why (Ephesians 2:10).

The last verses of the Psalm (vs.19-24) proclaim the justice and sovereignty of God. An all-knowing God who can see the hearts and intentions of a man is also a God who judges fairly. We can trust God’s judgment so much that the psalmist calls us to invite it: “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns. See if there is any offensive way in me; lead me in the everlasting way” (vs. 23-24).

Jesus said, “In this world you will have trouble, but take heart because I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). You are on God’s mind. He knows your days as well as the trouble that may fill them. He is all-knowing, faithful, and strong. This psalm is a poem to our hearts that God has us, no matter what. Rest in that.

written by Britton Sharp

15 thoughts on "You Hem Me In"

1. Daniel Monroe says:

His ways are higher than ours. He has given us the spirit of free will by His grace but we cannot fathom His plan as we are not all knowing like He is.

2. Daniel Monroe says:

It is THE truth in a world that has a desperate need for it. We are living at a time in history when there is more information available to us than ever before. This is a blessing but can also be very difficult to know what to believe and listen to. The only way to discern right from wrong is by filtering all info we gleam through the lens of the Scripture.

3. Daniel Monroe says:

With faith in His perfect plan and in His will over mine. Consecrate this day and give it to Him.

4. Daniel Monroe says:

He is all knowing and never absent, regardless of what our circumstances and as a result, emotions may try and tell us.

5. Daniel Monroe says:

That the Lord would rule in all aspects of my life and that as a result my life would be a testament for His glory.

6. Kyle says:

God doesn’t forget us. He is all-knowing

7. Kyle says:

Man hides due to shame

8. Kyle says:

The Gospel is the light. The Gospel gives us salvation from sin

9. Kyle says:

Giving thanks and running towards the God who constantly and consistently loves me

10. Kyle says:

Pray for everyone to know how much God loves them. How relentless His desire to be with them really is.

11. Slade M says:

That when times get tough and when it seems that all is lost, that God knew of this and that he has a plan for you and that the toughness is part of his plan. He will not abandon you, he will be with you always.

12. Slade M says:

That the gospel is a group and gathering of joyful songs and praises. That it finds hope in the future and past.

13. Slade M says:

That man is wicked and evil. That God is fare and his judgement will come for all the earth. So do not sit in anger toward the world, for the world will get it’s judgement in days to come and God will reward the faithful

14. Slade M says:

I will respond with love and thankfulness that God is just and wonderful.

15. Slade M says:

I will pray with thankfulness and joy for that I know that God is for us.. So who could be against us.