Your Love Is Eternal

from the Psalms of Gratitude reading plan

Psalm 136:1-26

I remember rebuilding an engine with my father-in-law a few years ago. I am a fairly handy guy. I can fix just about anything if I can find the time. I can work on stuff around the house, take down big trees with my chainsaw, build furniture from scratch. But if you place me in front of an engine, I freeze. I have no idea how things work. All I can see is a big chunk of metal.

There are two obvious challenges to reading Psalm 136. First, you may feel like I do when looking under the hood of a car: you see one thing. You see the phrase, “His love is eternal,” and it is hard to look past it to the other dynamics of the song. It starts to sound like a broken record no matter how many times you read it because the refrain is all you can see.

Or, you may be like my father-in-law who is a genius with cars. He understands the story of the engine. He looks beyond the big chunk of metal to how all the pieces work together. You might be one who sees the alternating lines, the unfolding story of creation and redemption.

If we want to read this Psalm well, we have to see both the big picture and the details at the same time. They work together. Through the story, God reveals to us that His love is eternal. And because of His eternal love, the story exists. Each aspect of this Psalm comments on the other.

Father Patrick Reardon, in his book Christ in the Psalms, says this Psalm is about “creation, deliverance, and the continued care of the redeemed.” Psalm 136 is about the “ongoingness” of God’s love. Out of His love God created. Out of His love He delivered and redeemed. And out of His love He will hold His people up, move them forward, and continually guide them in His ways.

If that is God’s story and we are God’s people, then this is our story as well. We are created out of love. We are redeemed by it. And we will be held up by it. When our faith is in Christ, we are the recipients of this wonderful truth, and our stories prove this Psalm true over and over again. Give thanks to God for His unfailing, unending, always-keeping love.

written by Father Aaron Wright

9 thoughts on "Your Love Is Eternal"

1. Chris Skinner says:

Again I am reminded of His steadfast love. There’s none like you Lord!

2. Chris Skinner says:

Thank you Lord that you rescue me from this unsteadiness! You bring stability. Let the tenacity of your love wear me down to love you back with my life.

3. Chris Skinner says:

We are such a contrast compared to God. You are steadfast and eternal. You never waver in love. However I constantly waver. I fail all the time. I read your truth and rejoice in it, and in the same hour is foolishly disobey it. You re steadfast, I am unsteady!

4. John Beck says:

Father. You have loved me more deeply than I may ever truly comprehend. Let me ponder this and I pray you will reveal to me deeper understanding so that I may show your love more effectively to my family and friends – even my enemies. Help me to give myself completely in sacrificial love for the good of your name and kingdom.

5. Slade M says:

That God has a love that we can not comprehend. What exactly is a “steadfast love”, we can not understand. How you can love something so much that it is impossible to love it more or less. God above false gods loves us each individually and he cherishes us so much that he would give anything for us. (His son)

6. Slade M says:

That man has so little idea of how great God is. That it should be hovering over our heads if we were going to be squashed or lost, but it isn’t because God is love.

7. Slade M says:

That the gospel shines truth on past events and that we have a privilege now to view back on such events and see how god’s love was worked in and through them.

8. Slade M says:

I will respond with gladness and thankfulness that we aren’t lost at sea but found by him and for him

9. Slade M says:

I will pray with love and thankfulness for he is good and his love endures forever.