You Have Compassion on Your Children

from the Psalms of Gratitude reading plan

Psalm 103:1-22

Freddie Mercury sang, “I want it all, and I want it now.” This is the anthem of western culture.

Technology and commerce have combined to make it so that people can get anything they want at any time. While there are many benefits to this—like being able to connect with friends who are far away, or having access to archives of information at the click of a button—our ability to get what we want (and get it now) plays a key role in how we view what is most desirable. Fast is good. Slow is bad. “My own” is good. “Ours together” is not as good.

In Psalm 103, David writes a poem of gratitude to God based on the grand scope of the Lord’s compassion. David gives a picture of a God who rescues us, heals us, forgives us, satisfies us, and renews us (vs.1-5). But the way David frames the faithfulness of God is almost the opposite of an “I want it all and I want it now” mentality. Life in Christ is focused on “us” more than it is focused on “me.” It takes into view “forever” more than “now.” It recognizes comprehensive mercy more than focusing on individual sins (vs.10-12).

David tells us God has treated His people with this sort of compassion since before the days of Moses (vs.6-7). Not only that, the Lord’s loving-kindness comes to us in promises that reach forward to the generations to come. Think about that: God’s mercy reaches forward to the descendants of the faithful and it also reaches back to generations past. Yes, the benefits of God’s mercy come to individual people; but those blessings pass through us, down into the lives of those who come after us, and they reach us because God has dealt mercifully with those who have come before us (v.17).

The faithfulness of God outlasts us and it predates us. This helps us when we are overwhelmed with anxiety because our focus is on ourselves, right now. God deals kindly with us by reminding us that we are not the heroes of our own stories. We never have been. We are supporting characters in an epic that has been underway since long before we were born, and which will carry on long after we have died. We are folded into that story through faith in the kindness and mercy of God, which we find in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

May we thank the Lord that His mercy is anchored in promises given to people who lived long before we were born, and that those same promises hold for all eternity. The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love (v.8). He always has been and He always will be. In Christ, He gives us everything we need, forever. Bless His name.

written by Russ Ramsey

10 thoughts on "You Have Compassion on Your Children"

1. Howard K says:

The Gospel shows us the love God has for us and how he wants to care for us if we ask and praise him.

2. Howard K says:

God is all forgiving and great to his people and we should thank him all the days of our live

3. Howard K says:

Man receives so much from God and we should be thankful and praise him all the days of our life

4. Howard K says:

I will be more and more thankful for all that God is doing in my life and try not to take for granted the special gifts he gives me on a daily basis. I need to be more aware to see those gifts and not be blind to them.

5. Howard K says:

God open my eyes and heart to all that you are doing in my life and grant me the ability and wisdom to see and understand all the amazing gifts and favor your are giving to my family. I ask this in your Son’s name Jesus Christ, Amen

6. Slade M says:

That God is beyond anything we can possibly imagine. Everything about him we comprehend so little that we think that if we do something terrible it sinful that God will turn his back on us. That is just plainly wrong as it is written in the verses. That his love knowns no bound.

7. Slade M says:

That the gospel shines truth in dark areas through these songs. These songs were made for praising God for his truthfulness, faithfulness, and love for us.

8. Slade M says:

That man are easily persuaded and taught that there is little hope to things unseen. That if we don’t find immediate answers, we will turn from God and seek other idols.

9. Slade M says:

I will not give up hope when times get tough, that I will fight for it because I know that God is what he says he is and that he was there at the beginning of time and he will be there at the end of time. And if I don’t get this certain thing that it’s not all lost, I can turn to him and praise him because he knows what’s going to happen and how it’s going to happen.

10. Slade M says:

I will pray with love and thankfulness. No one has done more things in my life than God has done for me. And I thank him for his everlasting love and faithfulness.