You Have Made Your Victory Known

from the Psalms of Gratitude reading plan

Psalm 98:1-9

This Psalm calls us to praise God, to make a joyful noise before our King. Without a doubt, there are countless reasons to praise Him. We see 3 of these in the first 3 verses of the Psalm:

He has done marvelous things (v. 1).
He has made known His salvation to the nations (v. 2).
He has never forgotten His steadfast love and faithfulness (v. 3).

These are all great reasons to break into joyous song. But the psalmist lists another, less obvious reason for shouting with joy: “for the Lord comes to judge the earth” (v. 9).

Judgment is not something we often sing about. It tends to bring conviction and discomfort. But according to Scripture, the Lord’s judgment should cause us, with all of creation, to clap our hands, bring together instruments, and make a triumphant melody.

Why should we react in such a counter-intuitive way? Because God has indeed remembered His steadfast love and faithfulness to Israel in the person of Jesus Christ (v. 3). Jesus, in His faithfulness, died for us, the consistently unfaithful. Jesus, in His steadfast love, died for us who waver in our love.

Because Jesus justified us by His blood, we can rejoice in the judgment of the earth. Because of Jesus’ steadfast love and faithfulness, we are, through faith in Him, declared righteous before God.

And so we sing. Because we have a deep joy and an eternal right standing before God, we break forth into a new song.

We make joyful noises with all of creation. We sing for the marvelous things He’s done, for the wonders He’s performed. We shout that He’s made the victory of His salvation known to all the nations. We rejoice that He will judge the world righteously. On that day—by grace alone — we will stand forgiven, covered in Christ’s righteousness.

May we sing a new song.

written by Billy Jack Brawner

17 thoughts on "You Have Made Your Victory Known"

1. Alex Gurtcheff says:

Man can rejoice in the Lord’s victory through grace alone. The coming judgement would incite nervousness and dread, but through the Gospel and God’s grace, we instead are able to rejoice in this idea.

2. Alex Gurtcheff says:

God is worthy of praise for many reasons, and one of these reasons is that He will come to judge the earth. This is praiseworthy.

3. Alex Gurtcheff says:

I will have more peace – I am assured in my salvation through grace alone. Because I did nothing to earn it, i can rest assured that my salvation does not fall on me, and I can rest in God’s grace.

4. Alex Gurtcheff says:

Our salvation and victory with God is assured through the Gospel. If we have accepted God’s gift of grace, we may have nothing but excitement for His coming judgement.

5. Alex Gurtcheff says:

Prayers of thanksgiving and praise.

6. Pingback: Google
  7. Howard K says:

Man needs help we are weak and need to know that if we seek God and believe he will protect us from all evil and wrong doing. Praise God for being our protector.

8. Howard K says:

God is all merciful and keep his promise that all that believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ will be saved. And Jesus Christ is our savior and redeemer and praise to Him for giving his life up for us on the cross for our sins.

9. Howard K says:

To be more like Jesus Christ and less like the selfish man I am.

10. Howard K says:

God thank you for you salvation on your people by sending your Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins. You love is so great and I ask for your forgiveness of all that I have done to fall short of your expectations and for the sins I have done . Through you Son Jesus Christ is the only way I will be saved and I accept all that Jesus Christ has done as the Gospel has stated. Thank you for allowing me to reading and learning your Word all the days of my life. Amen

11. Howard K says:

The Gospel shows us that believing
    In the Word of the Gospel we will be spared the judgment by God through Our believe in Jesus Christ

12. Pingback: Google
  13. Slade M says:

Man is uncomfortable in his own bear skin. We like to hid behind false golden curtains so that it looks like we are good. But deep down in our heart we are as evil as sin.

14. Slade M says:

That the gospel reeks of hope and joy for the unknown.

15. Slade M says:

That God is steadfast with his love. And he is faithful in his word. That when judgement finally comes that we should rejoice instead of coward in fear.

16. Slade M says:

I will respond with songs of joy and faithfulness because God has shown to his people over and over that he is who he says he is and that there is no one more greater than he.

17. Slade M says:

I will pray with thankfulness and joy. That he is love and hope and who ever believes in him with not Parrish but will have eternal life.