Your Works Are Awe-Inspiring

from the Psalms of Gratitude reading plan

Psalm 66:1-20

The Psalms are the prayer book of Jesus. They are alive with wisdom and beauty, always painting a picture of the character of Israel’s God. Each and every “Selah” (meaning silence or pause) gives space for contemplation or praise.

These songs were most certainly part of Jesus’ childhood. He heard them sung in the synagogues. He heard them in the hustle and bustle of His family’s annual trip to the Temple in Jerusalem. Jesus knew the Psalms. However, the Psalms knew Him as well. Jesus is the pray-er of the Psalms.

We (and I hope I can bunch you in with me) can have a hard time reading the Psalms. This is probably because they weren’t originally meant to be read. They were meant to be sung— together. They were built to sink deep into our bones and become a part of us. Try it sometime.

Psalm 66 is very special. It was sung during the Passover to remind Israel of their journey out of Egypt. Read it again in that light. Do you hear it? Do you see it? A deliverance has taken place. David recalls the beginning of the Exodus and how God delivered His people from bondage.

But here is the really cool thing: every Easter, millions of Christians all around the world begin their Easter service with this Psalm. They say it, sing it, chant it, and proclaim it. God has delivered us from bondage through Christ. Read it now in that light. The work of God through Christ is woven all the way through. God has moved towards us (v. 19).

As we near Advent and Christmas, we remember the God who delivers His people from bondage. He delivered the world from the clutches of the enemy by way of the cross, resurrection, and ascension. It is finished, as Jesus said (John 19:30).

What does this mean for us? This means God will deliver you. He will hear your prayer. If you are like me and prayer doesn’t come easily, I have a great recommendation. Pray the prayers of Jesus. Allow the words of this Psalm, and the others, to sink deep into your bones. As you pray the Psalms, you will find yourself praying the words our Lord Himself prayed. He knew them and He is in them. He will listen. His faithful love will be turned toward you. Selah.

written by Father Aaron Wright

15 thoughts on "Your Works Are Awe-Inspiring"

1. Daniel Monroe says:

It’s truly awe inspiring. The God of heaven and earth, the God of the psalms and of the Old Testament that delivered His people out of Israel that awesome, powerful, fierce God is the same God that out of His love for us, became a man, suffered more than most of us can imagine, in order that we would have a relationship with Him. Truly incredible.

2. Daniel Monroe says:

With Praise and joy on my tongue for all He has done and has promised He will do.

3. Daniel Monroe says:

We have a yearning for someone to save us. A yearning to be a part of something bigger, something more than ourselves. The psalms express this inner feeling as David can’t contain his love, awe, and joy about the Lord.

4. Daniel Monroe says:

I never thought about Jesus growing up with these as songs. Incredible to read the psalms with that perspective.

5. Daniel Monroe says:

Pray specific prayers with the psalms that His name would be glorified.

6. Slade M says:

That man is very close minded. That since we can’t see god’s plan that we need stability and security. That we need verses like this to refresh our memories about what God has done in our lives.

7. Slade M says:

That the gospel gives us clarity and hope for the future. So that God delivered the Israelis out of Israel to the promise land that he will do the same for us.

8. Slade M says:

This teaches me that God is a never failing God. If he says something, he is going to do it. He loves us to come before him and celebrate his great victory over death and sin. This psalm also tells me that God will endure us through physical pain and discomfort for our benefit because his plan is much more grater than ours

9. Slade M says:

I will try to pray for clarity and peace when I am in a stressful situation. That I will lift my hands and give it all to Christ instead of turning to man’s security’s.

10. Slade M says:

I will pray for eyes to remember and see the glory of what God has done in my life when I am about to question his faithfulness. That he is always with me and his plan is always good.

11. Korey Pollard says:

The psalms reveal joy and a reminder of God’s faithfulness. Especially this psalm with its references to all He has done and all he will and does do.

12. Korey Pollard says:

The mere fact that God’s work must be written down and sung teaches me how forgetful we are as His creation. I certainly admit this is true with me. This is why I struggle to keep a prayer journal fashioned after the psalms. In it I sing my praises and let my anger, fear and doubt be heard. When I take times of reflection and look at back over the year I am usually dumbfounded over God’s presence and His direct answers to my issues.

13. Korey Pollard says:

Again it is about His promises and actions not my perception of them or my need.

14. Korey Pollard says:

I will respond by keeping on keeping on in faith that He is leading me to His purpose in all things.

15. Korey Pollard says:

I will pray not to forgot and not to hide my doubt or disappointing disillusion but give it all to Him who is faithful.