You Put a New Song in My Mouth

from the Psalms of Gratitude reading plan

Psalm 40:1-17

My grandma has lived a whole lot of life. She has countless stories filled with love and joy and laughter, but she also has stories filled with profound brokenness and tragedy and death. I remember asking her if, in the middle of it all, she had ever questioned God—whether or not He was good, or if He even existed. Her response has stuck with me: “No. No, I didn’t. He was all I had. He was the only thing in life that I couldn’t question.”

My grandma’s words carry a tone similar to that of this Psalm. She knows what it’s like to be stuck in the desolate pit, waiting on the Lord. She knows what it’s like to be poor, in need of the Lord. And she knows what it’s like to be rescued and to sing a new song—to be delivered by her steadfast and faithful God.

This Psalm reads like a winding road, like a snapshot of various chapters in David’s life. There are times we hear David cry out from the pit of destruction, and times we see him singing a new song, his feet firmly on a rock (vv.1-3). There are moments of deliverance and moments when he is overtaken by his own sins (vv.9-13).

David’s life is all over the place, just like mine and yours. There are stories of joy and stories of tragedy.

As unpredictable as David’s life seems, this Psalm reminds us that God is more steadfast and faithful still. God had wonderful plans for David (v.5), He preserved David’s heart (v.10), and He was David’s help and deliverer (v.17). The Psalm even says that the Lord thinks of David—God is mindful of him (v.17). In all of David’s ups and downs, God proved Himself worthy to be trusted and praised. In all of my grandma’s ups and downs, He has proven the same.

You and I will also grow old. We, too, will have stories of joy and stories of tragedy. May we have eyes to see the faithfulness of God. May we remember He is worthy of our trust, even in the waiting, even in our failures, and even when our enemies pursue. May we have the grace to sing a new song, a hymn of praise to our God—our helper and deliverer.

written by Billy Jack Brawner

24 thoughts on "You Put a New Song in My Mouth"

1. Alex Gurtcheff says:

I will cling to The Lord more than the good people and situations in my life. I am grateful for God providing those things in my life, but I will realize those things may change, but my hope in The Lord is stable.

2. Alex Gurtcheff says:

Our lives will change and feature times of goodness and joy and also times of darkness and brokenness. Yet our true hope and unchanging trust is in God.

3. Alex Gurtcheff says:

The truth of the Gospel is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Our life’s circumstances may change, but the grace God offers through Christ is never more or less, or more or less accessible.

4. Alex Gurtcheff says:

God is steadfast and worthy of trust, unchanging even in lives that change constantly.

5. Alex Gurtcheff says:

I will thank God for his faithfulness and His unchanging love. I will put my trust and ultimate joy and satisfaction in God, not in the elements of my life.

6. Jeremiah says:

The Gospel provides the needed solid ground for our sure foundation to sing upon and strive in Christ’s victorious sanctification for us. Oswald Chambers says, “God is not after perfecting me to be a specimen in His showroom; He is getting me to the place where He can use me. Let Him do what He likes.”

7. Jeremiah says:

Although we wait patiently to be delivered, God is always ready to deliver. He’s less interested and is rather waiting for our hearts to be sensitive towards doing His will for Him, than in us doing our sacrifices and offerings to Him.

8. Jeremiah says:

We are in desperate, perpetual need of delivering. There is none greater to be praised for graciously giving us the victory or so much as capable for this task as the Lord God.

9. Jeremiah says:

Cry out to Him first when I’m in need of deliverance. Couple this request with a ready and willing heart and mind to do His will. Whatever it may be. His way is best for the path of my life. So that ultimately, I may “walk in the way of good men, and keep the paths of the righteous.” (Proverbs 2:20)

10. Jeremiah says:

That God might be magnified and glorified in my life and body for His Spirit working His will in and through me. That others won’t join in the ridicule surely coming for the life of believers, but that they will sing the new song with me before it’s too late.

11. Howard K says:

Lord God I surrender my life to you and ask that I live life by your Will and not my will. I ask you God to walk with me all the days of my life and help me to make the right decisions and stop me from make the wrong ones. I ask this in Your Son’s Name Jesus Christ, Amen.

12. Howard K says:

God will be with us at all times and we should never take advantage of that. We should continuously worship him and honor him all the times of our life through the good times and through the bad times. God will always be there to help us as long as we continue to acknowledge him.

13. Howard K says:

To always and forever depend on our God and Savior during then bad times and good times of my life. I feel I am most of the time swimming an up river type of live and knowing God is with me makes the swim all that more easier.

14. Howard K says:

Man can sometimes forget when things are good that we still need to depend on God and we tend to only lean on God when times are bad. We need to always depend on God no matter good or bad times in our life.

15. Daniel Monroe says:

How great is He! He loves us and is for us regardless of how we might feel with our fickle human emotions throughout the day. Even when He feels absent or distant, He is there. Let us trust in Him and His promises above all. Glory to God!

16. Korey Pollard says:

2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
    he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand.

I know this first hand and perpetually. I am so grateful for David’s struggles. Actually for all the struggle in the Old Testament from the men God chose to use. I relate to everyone of them.

God is the only consistent thing in my life. I have dragged a few places and seen a thing or two in my time. Between drug addiction and alcoholism in my family and my own struggle. In the face of sinful tragedy of over doses, suicide and death from drinking and driving I have experienced a tremendous amount of loss and pain. Why God chose to keep my alive and allow me to recover from my deliberate choice to abandon the faith is beyond me. But He is faithful.

17. Korey Pollard says:

3 He put a new song in my mouth,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
    Many will see and fear the Lord
    and put their trust in him.

As dark as I chose to be. As far from the faith as I deliberately wandered He still put a new song in my mouth.
    4 Blessed is the one
    who trusts in the Lord,
    who does not look to the proud,
    to those who turn aside to false gods.
    5 Many, Lord my God,
    are the wonders you have done,
    the things you planned for us.
    None can compare with you;
    were I to speak and tell of your deeds,
    they would be too many to declare.
    6 Sacrifice and offering you did not desire—
    but my ears you have opened —
    burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.
    7 Then I said, “Here I am, I have come—
    it is written about me in the scroll.

9 I proclaim your saving acts in the great assembly;
    I do not seal my lips, Lord,
    as you know.
    10 I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
    I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help.
    I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness
    from the great assembly.

I can not believe how much Christ has redeemed my useless life. I am humbled and amazed by His all encompassing love. I am worthy only through Christ’ sacrifice and redeeming blood.

18. Korey Pollard says:

Again true.

19. Korey Pollard says:

I will respond in transparent surrender. No matter the humiliation

20. Korey Pollard says:

I will pray take all of me. Use all of me. May I never be ashamed of my brokenness and your love.

21. Kevin Cox says:

So much – he hears us in our pain and deepest points. He is amazing in all He does. No one compares with Him. He rescues with love and mercy. He will be exalted by all. He is faithful

22. Kevin Cox says:

The Gospel gives us the promise of our rescue and reminds us of Gods faithfulness in trial

23. Kevin Cox says:

Help me Lord to recount your ways when I’m overwhelmed

24. Kevin Cox says:

We are in need and can easily be overwhelmed by troubles and sin