You Hear & Deliver

from the Psalms of Gratitude reading plan

Psalm 34:1-22

Have you ever been in a place where you felt truly alone? Or have you ever felt that your particular struggle was so unique and complex it would take more help than usual for God to rescue you?

I wonder if this is how David felt when he wrote this psalm. King Saul, who was jealous of David’s fame and of God’s anointing upon him as the next king of Israel, had threatened to kill David, forcing him to abandon his home country. When you are hunted by the king, no place is safe.

David’s situation became so bad that he fled to Gath, a foreign country, for refuge. When the king of Gath recognized who David was, he didn’t trust him. Suddenly David was more alone and at risk than ever. He actually pretended to be insane in order to escape with his life (1 Samuel 21:10-15).

Psalm 34 is David’s prayer after escaping from Gath. In humility, “this poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him from all his troubles” (v.6).

Does God hear us in the scary places, when life hasn’t turned out like we hoped? Let this Psalm encourage us. God answers His people; He delivers us. The Lord hears; the Lord saves (vs. 4-7). What a caring, faithful God we serve.

David has come to know God’s care in a personal way. He knows firsthand that “the Lord is near to the brokenhearted and He saves the crushed in spirit. The Lord redeems the life of His servants; none of those who take refuge in Him will be condemned” (vs. 18, 22). Though we know David’s troubles were quite specific (running from Saul and then from the king of Gath), the comfort this psalm offers concerning the character of God is quite general: He delivers the righteous from trouble, His eyes are on His people, and He hears their prayers.

When our struggles can appear unique and complicated, leaving us feeling alone, it helps to know that the God who cares for us is utterly competent to untangle all sorts of knots. Nothing surprises or stumps Him. Pray this psalm as a way to lay your specific struggles at the feet of your God. He is your present help in times of trouble (Psalm 46:1).

written by David Henderson

40 thoughts on "You Hear & Deliver"

1. Jeremiah Nitz says:

By always remembering the hope of not being guilty that is available to me when I trust in the Lord.

2. Jeremiah Nitz says:

He is the only supreme source of goodness and salvation in this world. What a marvelous discovery and hope this is!

3. Jeremiah Nitz says:

Man is missing a key part of its being. We hear He is good yet if we do not experience His goodness, it’s only words on a page. We need God above all others.

4. Jeremiah Nitz says:

The poor sinner and the righteous man after accepting Christ are able to be saved and needing to constantly be saved. The Gospel is the only source that meets this dire need of our soul.

5. Jeremiah Nitz says:

That I will keep my tongue from evil, my lips from guile. Strength to stay away from evil, and follow righteousness and peace.

6. Walker Hill says:

God Loves me in all my situations. He is going to take care of me in the toughest of times as long as I submit to him and his word.

7. Howard K says:

Knock and God will open the the door. Seek and you will find God and ask for help and God will help. All we have to do is trust in the Lord God Almighty and He will be there for us all the time

8. Howard K says:

Depend more and more every day on God Almighty in my time of trial and tribulation. I will have live and reverence for the Lord at all times and surrender my life to God knowing he will take care of me.

9. Howard K says:

God is loving and wants to helps every moment we ask him for help. We must be prepared that sometimes the answer is not exactly what we wanted, but we must trust in God that that He has our best intention in mind when he is helping and protecting is.

10. Howard K says:

Man is dependent on the Lord to help and protect us from all the evil in the world. If man feels he can handle this himself he will find life difficult so man must take refuge in the Lord and know God is there to help and protect us at all times. Man must trust in God no matter what the circumstance is all the days of his life.

11. Howard K says:

God thank you for being here for me at all times. I sometimes forget that and ask that you fill me with your Holy Spirit and let me depend on you for everything in my life. I give it all up to you and let go of my grip of control of my life and hand it over to you to control my life so I live by Your Will and not my will. I ask this in Your Son’s name Jesus Christ, Amen.

12. Mike Moore says:

It covers us no matter what – there is nothing that can separate us from God. The Gospel reflects Gods character.

13. Mike Moore says:

By trusting God in his promises. By confessing my sin to the One who can overcome it.

14. Mike Moore says:

He loves, cares and redeems His people.

15. Mike Moore says:

We are not alone. We always have a place-a person to turn to who is mighty to save.

16. Mike Moore says:

This is day one of 2016. Lord, give me a desire for your Word, your Ways. I trust you to deliver me thru EVERYTHING.

17. Joe Pierce says:

He is faithful.
    He is loving and cares for me.
    Even the small things concern him.
    Nothing “occurs” to Him. Nothing.

18. Joe Pierce says:

He has a plan. He will take care of me.
    I may not like the circumstances right now,
    but He know what is best for me and will always be on my side.

19. Joe Pierce says:

Pray this Psalm.
    Recall that nothing stumps or just occurs to God. He knows what I am going through. He has all the resources if Heaven at His disposal and will bring them out when necessary to rescue his child.

20. Joe Pierce says:

I am prone to worry and then feel alone- like no one has gone through what trouble or problem lies on my plate today. It’s okay to feel this way. This is normal human behavior. Even King David has issues with this.

21. Daniel Monroe says:

He is our deliverer and cares for me and you even when we feel far from Him and broken, He is near.

22. John Beck says:

Father. Please protect me and grant me strength and wisdom today. Remove my fears and worries and doubts. Give me courage to do what is right and wisdom to discern what is true and most important. Grant me the self control to submit to your will faithfully every day.

23. Kyle says:

I will humbly cry out to the Lord.

24. Kyle says:

He is there for us

25. Kyle says:

Man should not feel too proud to cry out to God, or fear that He won’t answer back. Man needs to bring his struggles and lay them at the feet of the Lord

26. Kyle says:

Jesus is the reason we can bring our worries and struggles to God. He is the bridge

27. Kyle says:

Relentlessly

28. Slade M says:

That God listens to those in need. That he is always with us and walks us through troubled times. Even though you don’t sense his presence, he is there.

29. Slade M says:

I will not be afraid to walk down something that seems “scary” or “tough” that I know that he is always with us even in the hard times.

30. Slade M says:

That man will seek refuge in many things. Many times in the bible, the people of God flee from God because they think that this other fake God will treat them better. Then when the people see there sin they flee from there sinful ways and run back to God. We are easily persuaded that in hard times God isn’t with us, but that is s lie that the devil sings. God is always with us and will never leave despise the horrible things we might do. God is with us always and he will comfort us in troubled times always.

31. Slade M says:

The gospel is the good news. This good news is that we can do all things sinful but God will be with us always. He is always there for you to run and flee back to him in any second. The good news that God works through our pain and hardship to produce faith and fruit.

32. Slade M says:

I will pray for my fears, that with him they won’t seem that bad. They will just seem like a pinch then a punch through him. I will pray with confidence and in hardship. I will pray humbly to the lord all the earth. Because I am a sheep in the mist of his pasture.

33. Julian says:

For me it taught me that I should have started this a long time ago. After being away from the catholic church for some years now I haven’t had God in my life. Once I found Ashley, my girlfriend, I feel that I was bound to find God again, and I did. I look forward to having this part of my life back in my life.

34. Julian says:

Man is an intricate thing. We all have struggles, and troubles that we deal with and God always has our backs. Having faith in God will lead us out of trouble.

35. Julian says:

By continuing to read through all the plans on this app, I hope to find a christian church I can call home and become a better christian man.

36. Julian says:

God is aways there with us even when it feels like he isn’t. We all have unique, and complex situations that come before us but He will always know the best solution for us.

37. Julian says:

I pray that God will help me deal with the stress that I will endure this semester with all that I will have going on.

I pray that God will continue to look after Ashley and her safety in a city that isn’t so safe and what seems like is lost from God.

38. Nolan Lee says:

God give me strength to be weak and rely on you

39. Nolan Lee says:

It’s more simple than we make it. God saved us and is equipped to deal with our sin regardless of the circumstances surrounding it

40. Nolan Lee says:

Lean into Him more and trust Him with my struggles instead of trying to figure them out myself